“Scrumptious Crepes”
Review of Jangkrik Homestay

Jangkrik Homestay
Ranked #89 of 616 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Jangkrik Homestay in July 2012. We found the room to be fine especially for the low price. The breakfast is crepes filled with some kind of delicious sauce then sprinkled with fresh coconut. They were scrumptious! My mouth still waters when I think about these crepes! The owners were extremely helpful and fun to talk to. They really made our stay in Ubud special. I would highly recommend this homestay! When we moved on to Lovina, Made went out of his way to get us bus tickets. We really appreciated their kindness. You will love them too!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I booked 3 nights but ended up staying 11! For the money I paid for the room and what you get its amazing. Delicious breakfast including fresh fruit, smiles from kadek and made and their kids every time you see them, super comfy bed and a squeaky clean room. Loved it. the location is excellent and as I was on a yoga binge it was perfect.. 5 to 10 min walk to yoga barn and to cocos supermarket. I also hired a bicycle for 30 k rupiah a day 10 m from jangkrik entrance. Amazing stay. Its basic but brilliant value!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I picked Jangkrik Homestay because I thought it would be a more interesting and personal experience than staying in a hotel. I was not disappointed.

The place is very nice and cosy and you can watch the family to go about their day. Everybody is very friendly. They also have many cats and a few dogs which is awesome if you are an animal lover (I am!).

It is located on Jalan Hanoman which is one of the two main streets of Ubud. It runs parallel to Monkey Forest Road. There are loads of nice boutiques, cafes and restaurants on Jalan Hanoman. All the main attractions (Monkey Forest, dance performance places, Ubud Market, Yoga Barn) are within a 10-15 minute walking distance. We never had to use taxis in Ubud because of the convenient location.

The room exceeded my expectations. It was extremely clean and equipped with a Western style bathroom. I never saw any cockroaches etc in the room.

They served free breakfast on our balcony every morning. It was fruit, toast and tea&coffee. When I asked to have eggs instead of the toast, they were happy to change it for me.

The only downside was the ongoing construction noise. As they are building new rooms, there is a lot of carpentry noise throughout the day. I wasn't too bothered because most of the days I was out exploring anyway but

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jangkrik U, Owner at Jangkrik Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Anne,
Thank you for your review.
Your review clearly indicates the fact that we are in the middle of Ubud and within walking distance of all major events, shops and restaurants. We read from your review that you actually used this advantage to do a lot of shopping and looking around.
We are sorry for the building noise you heard, but that is our neighbor redecorating his rental rooms for local people. We expect that this will be finished before the end of January.
We appreciate it very much that you observed the cleanness of our rooms, for us this is a major priority and we want to be remembered by our customers for this fact. You can be sure that we will maintain this standard and are constantly looking for improvement.
We try to solve problems as soon as possible after a customer reports that to us and we encourage our guests to report any if they find something.
At this moment it must be very cold in Talinn where you live, so come back quick and enjoy the warmth of Bali and our family.
Looking forward to meet you soon again,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

stayed here with my family last year for 5 days, the rooms are spotlessly clean and the included breakfast very nice.the family that run it are brilliant, arranging various tours, and very helpful.my two young children loved it here,will come here again if visiting ubud.

Room Tip: book in advance only have about 8 rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Erindors,
Thank you for your clear and helpful review on our homestay.
Since you stayed with us (February 2012) we have grown from 4 rooms to 6 rooms (from March 2012). The end of 2012 we have also renovated the ceilings in the upstairs rooms for a better sound isolation, providing more privacy to our guests. We enjoyed your stay at Jangkrik very much and hope that you and your children will come again this year. My daughters are looking forward meeting your kids again.
Looking forward to meet you soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here four nights in three upstairs rooms. The rooms were fine with nice furniture, but my bathroom light never worked despite reporting it several times. The room above the family home was extremely hot during the day - choose one in the adjacent building. Lovely big balcony relieves the heat a little, with some overlooking a volcano.

Rooms weren't cleaned once during our stay which was a little odd.

Family was lovely and friendly and very helpful, and it was very interesting staying in a busy Balinese compound

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights last month and we loved it. The room was beautiful and there was an awesome view from the balcony. The place is very conveniently placed to get around town, the Yoga Barn and Monkey Temple are both just a few minutes walk away. The family was extremely friendly and helpful in organizing tours and letting us know what to do around town. They also had the cutest puppy on the planet that we got to play with. Breakfast was over the top and delicious, it was so nice to be able to eat a really good meal right there on our balcony.

The place is definitely fairly simple with an Indonesian style bathroom and no extra amenities in the room but it's very affordable and the family vibe there just makes this place one of a kind.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms will have less noise, be warned that they are doing construction right now so you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I am happy that I stayed for 10 days at this homestay. I was able to save some money and take several arts and yoga classes while having a great place to base myself from. The owners and children are very friendly and helpful. I felt welcome the moment I arrived. My room was perfect! I had a large and comfortable bed, a private bathroom, and a balcony where my breakfast was served every morning. The owner helped to make sure that my stay was exactly what I wanted. She arranged my cycling, cooking, and batik courses for me, as well as my rides to and from the airport.This is a great location if you want to be within walking distance from the Yoga Barn as well as the great shopping district with the small and local shops.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Joanna,
Thank you for being our guest and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay.
Like you we have all through the year guests that stay for a longer period to follow Yoga classes at the very near and famous Yoga Barn. We think we have found a perfect mix between comfort, luxury and the Balinese family feeling and our guests really appreciate this.
Like you mentioned in your review we are in contact with all kinds of companies for cooking classes, bicycle and scooter rental, rafting on the river, bicycle tours from Kintamani downhill and even ferries to Gili Islands. We regard that as part of a complete service package we try to offer to our customers and here again we try to improve. So expect more in this area in the future.
We hope you will come back soon again.