“Great cozy restaurant”

Melting Wok Warung
Ranked #29 of 820 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: New restaurant on busy road, just out of Ubud Centre. Small menu with excellent Indonesian food, cooked with a slight European twist.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We followed the Tripadvisor Ratings and booked a table at Melting Wok. The warung is rather small at the second floor of a house in a tiny street of Ubud and only serves 2 daily dishes and some à la carte dishes that are written manually on a board.
The food was simply delicious - Asian fusion with balinese influences! We also tried the Crème Caramel with coconut milk - delicious! (a full dinner cost us less than 15€)
Go for "medium spicy", this is definitely enough for the western taste ;-)
The service was incredibly friendly, the french owner greeted every guest in person, the staff is quick and enjoys a chat - we had a very special eveing there and felt we left as friends!
While we had our dinner, ten or more people tried to get a table but were not successful - you have to book in advance!
Dear Melting Wok team: Please stay small and cozy and as nice and friendly as you are now! This warung is a hidden gem in Ubud!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,807)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Melting wok is a gem and worth the walk to find this smaller restaurant in one of quieter streets in Ubud. A personal greeting by the owner and careful attention from her staff created a relaxed atmosphere from the start. The luncheon specials stood out from the crowd after a few days eating out in Ubud. We will be back on our next trip to Bali. One to add to your eating out list.

1  Thank Rosemary75
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I visited melting wok a few days ago. There was no seat and the staff told me to come back in 30 minutes. I asked for a reservation but she told me that she would save us a seat. So I wondered around the area and went back in half an hour. When I went back a blond lady who seem to be the owner told me that there are no seats and that we should have waited just in front of the restaurant. I told her that her staff told me to come back in half hour and she didn't take the reservation but all she told me was that the restaurant is busy and if we want to eat wait half an hour again just in front of the restaurant. I had a baby with me and it was raining. I was so upset that I just left. The restaurant might have great food but for me the service was the worst in Bali.

6  Thank snowy510
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I were recently spending a few nights in Ubud. We tried the Melting Wok based on trip advisor research. Glad we did. We tried turning up for dinner one night, but no room, so made a booking for lunch. Simple menu choice. Curry with coconut milk or without and either rice or noodles. You choose the protein - beef, pork, chicken, fish or tofu. We both chose beef, me with rice, my wife chose noodles. I like it spicy, my wife doesn't. No problems, they catered for us both. A small spicy salad accompanied. Nice kick in it.
If you don't like the choice they have a daily special menu of changing choices.
Dessert was lovely as well. Left full, satisfied and without a big bill.
Nice decor, ambience was pleasant welcoming. Friendly staff and pleasing to see the owner present mingling with customers.
I would come back again.

1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very nice - great menu, don't forget to try the chocolate fondue! The owner and employees at this restaurant are so welcoming and gracious on depature, it's hard to get out the door, they are brilliant. My only advice is book ahead - we waited a good 15 minutes, although it was worth it, great value, great food!!

1  Thank MargyO27

Been to Melting Wok Warung? Share your experiences!