“Food heaven!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Melting Wok Warung
Ranked #15 of 713 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: New restaurant on busy road, just out of Ubud Centre. Small menu with excellent Indonesian food, cooked with a slight European twist.
“Food heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Had the evenings special, shrimp curry. It was for sure not any shrimp curry. The flavours were excellently balanced and it was just delicious! For dessert I had the crème caramel with coconut milk and it was also amazing. I don't know if I've ever eaten so slow. Did not want it to end. Guess where I'm eating tonight... :)

3 Thank Naemi11

• Turkish first
Philadelphia
“A Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Thanks to many TA contributors we truly enjoyed a lovely, inexpensive meal at this tiny French/Balinese warung. We were fortunate to get a reservation the same day that we arrived in Ubud & we were welcomed by owner Geraldine upon our arrival for dinner. The dinner specials are presented on a blackboard & you certainly can't go wrong with any of the entrées. Every table was occupied & many people were turned away without a prior reservation. Very casual atmosphere, but the deliciously prepared food speaks for itself. Definitely one of the best meals of our trip.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank jogee9
Singapore, Singapore
“Worth a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went on a Sunday afternoon, at about 3pm. So there was no need for a reservation for that timing, we got a table easily. Luckily we went on that day because the restaurant won't be opened for the next few days.

I like the decor of the restaurant, traditional Balinese decor.

The menu was written on a blackboard. Menu was very small but not unexpected as many has mentioned many times. My husband got the day's special which was chicken with basil, mushrooms and rice. I got the noodles in curry without milk. The noodles are actually more similar to kway teow (flat rice noodles). The curry was actually not curry, in my opinion, as it resembles more like chicken stock. Or if you are familiar with Malay food, its more like the soup for Mee Soto. So I wasn't very impressed with the noodles that I had. It was nice, but not impressive.

The rice with chicken basil and mushrooms, on the other hand, was very nice. It was similar to minced chicken with basil cooked the Thai way. It was very tasty.

I was really expecting more given that it was so high rated on Tripadvisor. I suppose for Caucasians, the food would be really good. But for Asians who have had tried the food in the region, it was not all that distinctive and impressive.

But I'll still recommend this place as the overall vibe is good. The owner and staff were very friendly and service was good. So its worth a try.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank lovecartier
Montreal, Quebec
“Really!?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place gets rave reviews but we were really disappointed!

My girlfriend and I are big time foodies and both felt the food was really bland. The scary part is that she ordered the signature dish (noodle curry) which is something they always have on their menu, actually it's pretty much the only thing they have on their menu as they offer various spins (rice, noodles, meat, tofu, etc). It was by far the blandest curry we've ever had! It couldn't have been a bad night as you can't miss something that you do day in day out for years. It was lacking salt, acid, sweetness and heat. It was also too greasy, and tasting more like a chicken soup with turmeric than a curry. We've had thousand of curries all over the world and we even make it at home, we had never had one that lacked taste like this one did.

My dish, chicken wrapped in banana leaves and fried, was good but nothing special, we had much better food in small authentic warungs throughout the country.

On the positive side the deserts were very good and looked even better.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Ceak
Chicago, Illinois
“Good People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is great food!! I like the open layout. You get your food really fast and it is always good. The wine is good here too and not over priced:))))

Visited September 2012
2 Thank jamie s

Been to Melting Wok Warung? Share your experiences!