“There are no 4.5 star option, but I'd say this hotel is 4.99 star near excellence”

Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Ranked #31 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Having stayed at some of the most famed outfits (almost always for work) and some of the worst so-called business or tourist-class hotels in this part of the world, I must say that very few things would truly awe me. Hence I seldom rave about hotels but this must be an exception for a long time to come.

I chose this hotel because of its location near town, as well as its newness. Both aspects did not disappoint -- the front door of this hotel and the nearest bar and restaurant on a main thoroughfare of Ubud is no more than 30 steps apart. If you walk up north this main thoroughfare for about 15 minutes, you will reach the centre of central Ubud, where the shops and eateries are galore. And because this property is no more than one year old, everything is new and kept up to standard of what you'd expect of a Komaneka.

I'd been to Bali several times, and although I like the ornate decor of Balinese furniture and architecture, I find it too in your face sometimes. Hence, the fact that the Komaneka at Rasa Sayang is modernist in decor and simple but evocative of Balinese culture finds much favour in me, and my partner. The woody feel of the (very) spacious room and the availability of modern amenities just make the stay doubly enjoyable.

And because it is a Komaneka, you have the option of using the facilities of the other branches within Ubud. Transport within this city to or from any point if FOC, all you need to do is ask the driver to pick you up (telling your exact location). I used this option to not only go to the restaurants and the shops, but also to the Komaneka at Bisma to do my spa treatments. The property at Bisma is up a slightly more remote road off the centre of Ubud and thus more secluded and exclusive. The view over the river and padi fields is more impressive than the one you get at the property at Rasa Sayang. So you actually get the best of both worlds -- you can stay at the one in town and then use and enjoy all the facilities at the other Komanekas! I did not see the one at Tanggayuda so cannot comment on that. But the one at Monkey Forest (just a few metres away from the one at Rasa Sayang) actually boasts a beautiful gallery with an impression collection.

Unless you want to come into an Ubud hotel and then lock yourself in its pool(s) and your own suite, you should truly consider this hotel at Rasa Sayang which allows proximity to town yet all the options for quiet, exclusiveness and breathtaking views are all within easy reach. The breakfasts were nothing to shout about, but the infinity pool at the Rasa Sayang is adequate and beautiful enough on its own. Basically, you'd love the room's size and the option for extra amenities in all four of the Komaneka. This is one property I'm almost already dreaming of returning after less than 24 hours checking out.

Room Tip: If you can splurge, ask for one which overlooks the pool from the tallest level of this 4-storey pro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2012

From the moment we arrived we felt like family....this hotel is only six months old so looks beautiful..the staff are just delightful and have been trained to a high standard in politeness and manners..from the front desk to the gardener.
The rooms are a good size with a large bathroom with bath and separate shower and private toilet and very well appointed...little biscuits to have with your coffee, room servicing twice a day, turn down service and a nightgown for you as well to cozy up in the very comfortable bed!!! The air con is great.
The afternoon tea served between 3.30 and 5.00 was enjoyed overlooking the infinity pool and the lovely jungle backdrop.
The hotel has free wi fi and a complimentary drop off/pick up service around Ubud. The hotel is very centrally located on Monkey Forest Road with bars and restaurants close by. It is set back from the road so there is no traffic noise just peace and quiet. The hotel also has a lift.
I couldn't fault this hotel or the staff and would love to return on our next trip to Ubud.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor or above room.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We are frequent travellers in Europe and Canada, USA and elsewhere, aged 50+. Now on an extended trip to Bali and already stayed in various Villas etc elsewhere in Bali. My parents - very active but older - travelled with us to Ubud.. We wanted to stay somewhere that was central, quiet and comfortable. I also work when travelling so need a decent size room, desk, reliabe in room wifii, etc. I booked on booking .com got a v good price for a 5 star . I agree with all the below good reviews. The 3rd floor room was huge, modern, clean and airy with a large balcony with table and chairs, service was great, pool lovely. Great.location can't be beaten for seeing sights such as Ubud palace, night dance shows, art museums, threads of life gallery, etc. The hotel driver/car service ( no charge) to cafes, museums, shows etc was a great addition and very helpful to us.. We would certainly stay here again. A grea new hotel .

1 Thank MoiraLm
jakarta
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights and felt the warm hospitality of its staffs. The location is almost on the center of everything happen in Ubud. The room is huge and cozy, and made us never want to leave. My kid love to swim in its infinity pool. Good food also available around the hotel. We have everything we wanted on this hotel. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rudisule
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I decided to treat myself and stay here two nights before meeting up with a tour and I am absolutely happy I did! I've never stayed at a Komaneka hotel, but the service was second-to-none. This hotel is perfect for someone that wants a quiet oasis, but still be right in the center of all the action. It is perfectly located on Monkey Forest Road and is the newest hotel of the Komaneka chain in the area. I booked the room on Agoda and got a fantastic deal. Check-in was seamless, I had a room on the 3rd floor (#3310) with a king size bed and a balcony. The rooms are huge! Besides the bed, there is a desk, couch, lounge chair, flat-screen TV, and ample room to walk around in. The bathroom is massive as well with a huge soaking tub, separate (and extremely large rain shower that could hold at least 5 people), double sink, separate room with the toilet, and another separate area to put your luggage. The hotel has a beautiful infinity pool that overlooks the lush greenery over a small river with 8 lounge chairs. Included in the cost is complimentary breakfast (which is delicious with MANY Western and Indonesian options) and coffee or tea and an assortment of cakes in the afternoon - either of these can be delivered to your room or you can get these in the restaurant that overlooks the pool. The service was really spectacular, all the staff was so incredibly friendly and they also do a beautiful turn-down service in the evening. The next time I come to Ubud, I am absolutely staying here again - I can't say enough good things about it!

Room Tip: The rooms on the 1st level are sub-level so the balconies on that level are enclosed by walls (I loo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RioTraveler103
Townsville
Reviewed February 5, 2012

You can stop looking because this is THE place to stay in Ubud. As well as the beautiful room, very handy location, the fresh cocktails and excellent swimming pool, it was the care and attention of all the Komeneka Rasa Syang staff that really made our Ubud holiday very special. We stayed for 4 nights including New Years Eve as part of our 3 week Bali holiday and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The New Years Eve party was exceptional with Balineses dancers and orchestra, a full buffet dinner and the most amazing three piece acoustic band I've ever seen. These guys took requests and played and sang everything from Japanese love songs to Crowded House. We normally couldn't be bothered with NYE but the staff (on their own time) went all out to give us a great night. Very much appreciated. There's much more but here's just some examples of the outstanding Komeneka Rasa Syang service: as they don't have an in-house gym one of their drivers took me to Komeneka Bisma each morning for my workout and collected me when I finished, the receptionist booked a restaurant for us and then arranged a driver to take us there and back, in fact, their drivers will take you anywhere you want to go within the main town area at no charge! There was always a warm welcome when we came back from shopping and we looked forward to seeing who was on Reception. Like most TripAdvisor users we've stayed in hotels from New York to Melbourne and from Paris to Singapore and Komeneka Rasa Syang is definitely one of the best you'll find anywhere.

Room Tip: The building is in the middle of the block with views of the trees on the boundary but you're no...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed at Komanka Rasa Sayang for 4 nights in November 2011. I was by myself for a much needed break.
The hotel is still sparkling new and the rooms are large and beautifully appointed. I had a bath in the huge freestanding bath every night.
It's right in the heart of Ubud on Monkey Forest rd. Great location to stroll around town for food and shopping. The trade off is no views from the rooms. The balcony looks so inviting with day bed and little table but it looked straight on to a concrete wall.
The hotel does the best it can with a narrow site and the pool area is lovely. They've strung up a black cloth between the hotel and the one next door and they're encouraging vines to grow across it to give an illusion of space. Looks a bit unfinished at he moment.
The best views are from the spa on the top floor. Pop up there just to take them in even if you don't stay for a treatment. You should though. I had a massage which was lovely. You pay more than on the street but the surrounds are a hundred times nicer and the staff really know what they're doing.
Speaking of staff the reviews about service are apot on. Komaneka's staff really are wonderful. The get to know your name and ask after your day. It made someone home to the hotel an inviting haven.
Stay at Bisma if you want views, but sray here for town spirit. Really lovely spot.

• Stayed November 2011