“A Bridge too far”

95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A Bridge too far”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was advised that the path i had chosen was difficult, but they should have said extremely difficult. Got there at 10.30 pm and started the 45 degree angle trek, slashing though and overgrown path. The guide ws young friendly and climbed like a mountain goat. I consider myself fit but this was an epic trek. After 1 hour cramps in the calf, then it rained. I slipped 3 times on a narrow track with 40+ meter drops. The third slip at 2.5 hours into the climb i damaged a ligament in my knee. Luckily i grabbed a tree or would have fallen down a ravine. I told the guide no more as i couldnt put weight on my knee and started down. He made a makeshift crutch and 3.5 hours of pain i made it to the car.

The company did what they stated. The guides english was poor but we sort of communicated. Supply your own lights as what they have is too poor. So in summary if you can do a step machine for 6 hours straight soaking wet then do this trail. Im sure the view would have been awesome but not this time.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank John E

Pasadena, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Breathtaking view from Mount Batur with Friendly Guide”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Although we had to wake up at 2am on our honeymoon to leave for our tour, the view from the summit of Mount Batur was definitely worth it! Bali Sunrise Trekking and Tours is a family-run business that directly operates sunrise trekking tours to Mount Batur. I decided to book my tour with this company as I wanted to avoid paying extra for an agent/broker/middleman.

Highlights
- The view from the top was jaw droppingly awesome!
- Our guide was helpful and assisted us with taking some amazing photos
- The monkeys at the summit of Mount Batur are definitely much friendlier than those in the Monkey Forest and in Uluwatu

Other Notes
- The hike was a little steep in some areas and requires good walking/hiking shoes to maintain traction
- We arrived at the starting point at 4am and got to the summit before 6am, which provided plenty of time to relax and eat breakfast before the sunrise
- Our guide provided each of us with a bottle of water, but you'll probably want to bring another bottle with you. There are also locals that will follow you and try to sell you expensive drinks, such as IDR 50,000 for 2 bottles of water (but according to our guide this is their only source of income as they don't have any farmland...)
- Breakfast consisted of sweet bread, boiled eggs, pineapple, and coffee/tea

Overall, we really enjoyed our tour. However, given that we booked directly, I think that the price we paid was a little high when compared to the prices quoted online by some of the other tour companies. However, if you're looking for a solid tour that won't disappoint, then I'd definitely recommend this tour company.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank mjtang

Been to Bali Sunrise Tours? Share your experiences!