“Nice hotel with friendly staff”
Review of Puri Sunia Resort

Puri Sunia Resort
Ranked #39 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Spent 4 nights in their Suite room with husband and child. All of us enjoy the activities planned by the hotel, particularly the morning Yoga and padi field walking tour. Very quiet and surrounded by beautiful padi field, tropical plants and villages. Would rate the hotel " perfect" if not for the distance between Ubud town. Pls note that the hotel is about 15 minutes drive from Ubud town. If you prefer to shop and site see, this might be a little inconvenience as the hotel only provide hourly shuttle services between hotel & Ubud palace. Other than the distance, the hotel is great!
Restaurant served one of the most delicious nasi goreng I'd ever tried in Bali. Good selection of breakfast menu, and afternoon tea.
Service is excellent. Staff are always smiling and helpful. They even packed breakfast box for us when we checked out at 0330 hrs for an early flight. Small thoughts like this makes a big different( v good impression)
Suite is spacious. Room are very clean. Good price. Highly recommended this hotel if you don't mind the distance. A great hotel indeed.

Room Tip: Suite room are on the 1st level. Better view of the surrounding! More privacy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mum0408
Write a ReviewReviews (1,064)

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Puri Sunia Resort and had an amazing time. The hotel is a 15 minute drive away from central Ubud (the hotel provides a regular shuttle to and from Ubud so this is not a problem at all) in an area which is surrounded by beautiful villages and rice terraces. The hotel appears to employ a lot of people from the local villages which is great; we actually bumped into one of the employees when we went for a walk into a neighbouring village. We were booked into a deluxe room on the first night but were moved into a suite on the second night; the only real difference between the deluxe room and the suite is that the suites are located on the first floor with better views of the pool etc. Our room was beautiful and extremely clean.

The pool area was beautiful as was the restaurant area which overlooked the pool on one side and a rice field on the other. We had lunch at the restaurant one day and had a pasta dish; it was one of the best pasta dishes I have eaten!!! Afternoon tea was great too with a really good selection of teas and a plate of cake!! Breakfast was amazing also!!

The complimentary yoga, running, walking and meditation is a real bonus (something which is not really matched in the other hotels which I stayed in) and is something which you should make full use of.

We stayed in 3 hotels in Ubud (Komeneka and Waki de Ume) and this was definitely our favourite.

Don't let the location put you off as the location is one of the best things about it!!

I would highly recommend this hotel.

3  Thank Millymini88
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My wife and I both agree that Puri Sunia is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in, and we've stayed in some very nice hotels in the past. The room was luxurious and spacious, the grounds were lovely and well-kept, and the restaurant was delicious with prompt and attentive service. But the thing that set Puri Sunia apart was the service. The staff seemed to really care that we had a great time. By the end of the trip, the servers in the restaurant were calling us Made (the Balinese name for the second child in the family) and knew us by our American names also.

Ekok took the time to write a list of common words and phrases in English, Indonesian, and Balinese, and on the last day, he made us a special cappuccino with our names in it. Mayun took the time to make us incredible cocktails, as well. By the end of the trip, we thought of them as friends. These gentlemen should both be commended by management, for they made our trip truly remarkable.

We also booked a couples Balinese massage at the spa. The entire experience was serene and rejuvenating, and the price was very reasonable. I highly recommend this!

The only thing that might turn some travelers off from this hotel is the distance from Ubud (about 15 minutes drive), but for us, that was a huge advantage. Ubud was okay, but I think the real action in Bali takes place outside of the city. If you can, I would recommend booking a tour guide to drive you around the countryside to see temples, villages, and terraced rice fields.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel without reservation.

2  Thank HBergeron
Reviewed June 3, 2012

It's a very nice place, but know in advance that it's not really in Ubud.

LOCATION: A solid 15+ minute drive outside of the tourist area of ubud. If you're looking to relax, this is a great location! If you're looking to shop and site see, it may be inconvenient for you.

FOOD: Great. The free breakfast has lots of options and juices are fresh.

ROOM: Modern design with Balinese villa feel (without being an actual villa). Very clean, extremely comfortable room with great AC and cozy bed.

SERVICE: Excellent. I arrived past midnight and they upgraded my room for free because the standard rooms were all booked.

VIEW: My room had a view of the pool. I think the rooms at the back had a garden/forest view, which is probably better. There's no rice paddy view here, but there's lots of green tropical plants around.

TIPS: For the price, it's pretty great. I also really liked Komaneka at the Bisma location which was about the same price.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank susQnyc
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Ms Marilynne & Ms Friedel
From the moment we arrived we were enchanted by the staff who couldn't do enough to make our stay very comfortable. Nothing was ever too much bother and all our expectations were more then met.
The setting was idyllic and we felt that the rooms were beautifully appointed with all modern facilities and at the same time not loosing it's Balinese ambience.
The frequent free shuttle service provided by the resort allowed us to tap into Ubud's colouful
town centre with all it's hussle and bussle. Whilst on returning to the resort we were embraced with the peace and quiet of it's rural setting.
By the end of our 18 day stay we felt like we were leaving our extended family.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I booked this resort as a surprise honeymoon for my wife (we got married the week before). I must say this is amongst the best places that we stayed before!

Service:
The service is fantastic and genuine: The staff go all out to please you, attempt to make small talk with you despite their poor English. We made various requests in our room during different times, and they were all delivered promptly without any qualms. It makes you feel like you are joining a family for a couple of days. A personal touch which they have. They also remember your names!

Rooms:
We booked a Villa (they only have 3 so book early). Photos shown on the resort website does not lie: what you see is what you get! The room is clean and spacious; the bathroom is huge and has a big solid tub which is good for 2 persons to soak in! The villa also has a personal heated plunge pool with a small fountain, great for couple privacy.

Food:
The food is scrumptious: They have very delicious pancakes and cinnamon toast for breakfast, must-tries! We requested the breakfast to be sent to our villa and they were prompted delivered at our requested time. Cappuccino comes with your name written on top of it! Also try their Balinese coffee: strong but aromatic. We ordered the BBQ dinner and had candlelight dinner in our villa on the 2nd and 3rd nights respectively. It is something you will never forget: dining on your own villa beside your pool, amidst the jungle and the clear moonlit sky, with great personal service: Heavenly. Their salad is the most delicious salad I have ever eaten. The ingredients are also authentically Balinese, which make the food really stand out.

Activities:
The resort has various activities available, but you have to book most of them one day in advance. We tried the complimentary morning yoga and Chakra meditation. My wife loved the yoga (I’m not a fan of yoga), but the Prana meditation (conducted by the Resort manager himself) takes the cake! We were told that it is supposed to bring out one’s negative energy through various forms of discomfort and true to the word, I felt nauseous afterwards! We also tried the morning rice field trekking; it was a great chance to view the landscape of Ubud, as well as a great experience walking through the rice paddies. The resort’s free shuttle is great if you are going to nearby Ubud town for some shopping, watching Balinese dances or a drink. We had a couple spa as part of the package as well. Fantastic.

In a nutshell: this is a great place to be in if you are looking away from beach scenes of Kuta and instead looking at cultural and relaxation traits instead. Thanks to Resort manager Wardika, staff Yogi, Buda, Kharyasa, Mayon, Ayu, and more for making our honeymoon a memorable experience. We will be back next time.

Room Tip: Get the villas!
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed at Puri Sunia for 3 nights at the beginning of May. It was not my first choice, as I was traveling alone I wanted to be in the centre of Ubud. With the hotels I had first chosen being booked out I decided on Puri Sunia based on previous trip advisor reviews. I must admit I was very hesitant as there's nothing around the resort except rice fields. Once inside I was so thrilled with my choice. This place is fantastic. I was upgraded to a pool villa which I loved so much I felt like I was in heaven. I found the staff extremely helpful in every way.

The food was superb. Amongst the best I have had anywhere & for the quality I found it to be very reasonably priced. Although they do not have a buffet breakfast their selection is quite extensive & much better quality than you would get at a buffet. I had fresh strawberry pancakes each morning. I find myself still telling everyone just how delicious they where.

Being a 10-15 min drive from Ubud was not an issue. Their shuttle was very reliable, leaving every hour. I also took myself on walks to nearby villages which I found to be very relaxing & interesting. This is something I wouldnt have done had I been in the centre of Ubud like I had first wanted. I really feel I have now seen the real Bali.

The only downfall for me was the cooking class. This was something I was really looking forward to doing. When I enquired at reception about booking in to do the class I was told the chef was unwell & wouldnt be running the class during my stay. With the quality of the food it would have been fantastic to do a class with someone that is so talented.

I will most definitely be returning to this resort & will most likely take my family to show them just how fantastic it is.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo