“Hard to rate because it had many good points but a couple of major issues” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Y Resort Ubud

Y Resort Ubud
Ranked #146 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Geelong
“Hard to rate because it had many good points but a couple of major issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Whilst this hotel was certainly good value for the price I had difficulty in rating it.
The rooms were stylishly decorated, clean, smallish but had all the amenities you would need plus some extras that don't usually come with accommodation in this price bracket (bath robes and home made biscuits). The grounds and gardens are beautiful and add to the ambience of being surrounded by green and nature. It is relatively close to Ubud centre given how many hotels and resorts are much further from the centre and a shuttle bus operates routinely. The price for the extra shuttle service if needed at other times is minimal.
Usually we found all the staff more than helpful, courteous, and friendly. But there was one incident which left a very bad taste for me. My husband stayed behind whilst a friend and myself went to view some attractions. We had ararnged that we would come back and pick him up afterwards to have a late lunch together in Ubud. Due to the rain and crowds we were running late and then we struck a major trafiic jam in Ubud centre. I phoned the hotel to speak to my husband and they told me he had gone out. I asked them to check the room which they said they did (we had changed rooms that day) and I also aksed them if they could please check the bale where he had been sitting. The lady on reception told me he wasn't there. The next time I called I asked if he was there and she said that he wasn't. I asked her if they could actually check in the new room and they implied/said they did and he was not and that he had gone out. I can understand difficulties with languages and culture but I also had my friend call 4 more times to check if he was there and if he had been left the message to come in on the shuttle and meet us in Ubud. My friend is a native Indonesian so she was speaking the same language as the receptionist. Not knowing what else to do we ordered lunch for ourselves. We were just finishing when the resort receptionist called to say he was there and she passed the phone onto him. My husband was getting quite distressed by this time (approx 5 pm) as he didn't know if we were alright and he had been waiting for us all day without any lunch himself. No one had checked the room and the telphone in the room was broken. It was a huge mess up that ended in an unpleasant situation for the 3 of us. It could have been easily resolved by walking a few paces and checking the room (it's a small resort). I was extremely upset by this as I know he would have felt quite anquished and we weren't able to relax and enjoy our lunch at all.
What helped me to rate it higher was that the Resort Manger is excellent and always checked with us that things were okay.
The other problem was that when we arrived they checked us into the wrong room with twin beds instead of a queen size bed which we had booked via our Indonesian friend who visited with them beforehand. They changed us to a different room the next day but the first night the room was near the restaurant and I got very little sleep because of some noise outside the room.

Room Tip: Don't take a room close to the restaurant as there is some noise outside the room (like water be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
komangsudirga, Manager at Y Resort Ubud, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Y Resort Ubud.

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with the services rendered. We are grateful for your affirmation of the hotel’s service and facilities.

We have taken note of your comment regarding miscommunication of our staff as well as the phone problem in the room.

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of being of service to you during your recent visit to Bali and look forward to welcoming you back to Y Resort Ubud in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I arrived at the hotel slightly past midnight due to issues with the car transfer. The hotel staff were ready by the entrance to pick up all our luggage and ushered us to the rooms very quickly.

The hotel is situated on a road and we tried to walk out during our first day but I did not find it safe or easy to walk on the narrow and steep road with young children. I gave up and relied on either the scheduled shuttle service or taxi.

The hotel rooms and pool are really small but there is a cosy feeling to it. All rooms face the pool so my young kids were able to swim within our sight.

Pool was not cleaned during our 4 days stay there so the waters were rather murky and green. The bathroom's ventilation is rather poor so there is always a damp, mouldy smell to it. There is a fair bit of mosquitoes as well, so do be careful.

Due to the few number of guests, the breakfast menu was limited a la carte. The orders made did not come out right though. These happened in all the Y resorts and villas we stayed in during this Bali trip.

However, the staff were friendly and ready to accommodate. When we came back one particular night, the walls outside one of my rooms were plastered with lizards and a gigantic gecko (big enough to cover a man's face). My daughter was terrified and refused to enter the room. 2 staff who were stationed outside the rooms helped to open the door and held my girl's hand to bring her in before closing the door.

It was a quiet place to relax and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at Y-Resort Ubud 4 days. The swimming pool corresponds with the size of the hotel rooms, which is really small. Given it's location near to trees, do expect creepy crawlers, and mozzies. Ubud Center is within walkable distance if you are physically strong, otherwise the hotel provides free two hourly shuttle service. It is not a great hotel, but the service staff is simply gold. My compliments to Resident Manager Dirga for taking time to check how my stay was.

What I liked was that rice fields are located within walking distance, after the Round Bar Cafe. These rice fields are not the typical tourist attraction sort, so you can be sure you are looking at the real thing without having to pay a tourist toll. The hotel is quiet and great for families with young kids.

(Do rate my review if you find it helpful)

Room Tip: The hotel is single storey so do note that all rooms are located on the ground level.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

After 3 busy days in Kuta Beach, the Y Resort was a nice escape to a quieter and more tranquil side of Bali. Three of us stayed in the room right next to the pool and we were happy with the room size even though it was a bit smaller than where we stayed in Kuta. Most of our time was spent sightseeing so it wasn't an issue. The bathrooms were large and the shower was wonderful. Our only issue with the room was housekeeping. We noticed they didn't do much more than pull the sheets up on the bed during our four night stay. The garbage wasn't taken out so water bottles and trash accumulated, and it took several calls to the front desk to get 3 towels in the room. The internet is also incredibly slow

The location is great, not right downtown, but a quick (complimentary) shuttle ride away. There are several restaurants right by the hotel if you don't feel up for the trip. Definitely check out the spa and there will probably be a special. A girlfriend and I both booked the green apple massage for $13 USD for an hour and it was spectacular. Really wonderful.

The pool was beautiful and welcome relief after a long day of sightseeing. This resort is great for couples or friends looking for a low key time together.

Room Tip: We loved the pool right across from the pool next to the spa!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at the Y in May/June for a retreat. It was a fantastic place to stay, greta staff, food's good and so are the beds. It's quiet and good value if you're looking for somewhere a bit up-market. Staff a great, fantastic pool especially if you want to get a few fitness laps in before breakfast (not that I did before break).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Y Resort for two weeks with a girlfriend. The room was comfortable and private and easy to share with a friend. We Loved the grounds, they never stopped cleaning. it was well situated and the staff made it easy too get around.I woulda Highly recommend the Y!

• Stayed November 2011
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Y in June this year. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff friendly and very helpful. Breakfast every morning was looked forward to eagerly.
Although the hotel is a little out of town, the shuttle service to Ubud was regular and on time. We found some beautiful places to walk to through the rice fields and truly enjoyed the quiet tranquility at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends