“A Secret Garden”
Review of Il Giardino

Il Giardino
Ranked #75 of 860 Restaurants in Ubud
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The magic of Bali, the flavors of Italy. Wood fired pizza, handmade pasta and the freshest of ingredients set in the beautiful water garden of Han Snel Gallery in Ubud, Bali.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I found this place by accident, although I once stayed in a B&B on the same street - a very unhappy experience I don't care to review. But entering Il Giardino was just magic, it is so peaceful and quiet, you could be miles from anywhere instead of two minutes from the main road. I was there at lunchtime and it was nice and quiet. I had a table right beside the huge lily pond full of fish with dragonflies flitting around. While I was waiting for my lunch, I crossed the little bridge into the gallery to see Han Snel's work on display, a wonderful tribute to an artist who loved Bali and its people so much.

The waitress was very sweet and helpful and told me there are 8 bungalows on the property, with a swimming pool. I had a quick look from the outside and they look quite basic but nice and rustic.

Ordered a grilled prawn pizza which was made from scratch in the wood fired oven, with some fizzy water and a glass of the local rose, followed by a tropical sorbet - lovely and refreshing on a hot day. It was a little more expensive than other places but at around A$30 with tip, well worth it to spend a couple of hours in a little slice of heaven. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were seated at a small table next to the kitchen and under the music boxes: lots of shouting and loud music, we could hardly hear eachother talk. After 15 minutes or so we received the menu card, they were thrown on the table. Another 15 minutes later we had not seen anyone anymore, had not even had the opportunity to order something to drink. We left without ordering.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went on our last night in Ubud. A beautiful table for two next to the water garden under the moonlight. The service was execellent and to a high standard. We will definitely visit again next time we are in Ubud.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is in the city - just few miinutes from the palace central. It is in a courtyard like compound, and you enter through a alley, which adds to the charm of this place.
We came here at night, and there was only one table there before us. The staff was very friendly and attentive, and brought us the menu quickly, asking what we would like. When asked for recommendation, they were also comfortable to do so.
We ordered a nice refreshing cucumber yogurt soup - this was very very nice; followed by rockets pear walnut salad - this was nice, but for me a little strong on the dressing, and then the mains which was a signature Funghi pizza. The base was very thin crusted but still had a good bite to it, with good serve of mushroom and cheese toppings. The lady who made the pizza was pleasant, and keen to show us how this was done.
Desert was coconut ice cream ( which they called sorbet ) - this was rich natural tasting - good.
Coffee was very average.
It was a very pleasant evening, and true to the good reviews I read on tripadvisor before going.
Total bill was 350 k, good value for what we get.
We took a taxi back to the five elements hotel from the street for RP 100 k - 25 mins ride.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The restaurant is situated in a lovely garden with ponds, and very open. The thin crust pizza came out of the oven in front of our eyes, and was very tasty. The food was good in general, and presented very nicely. I enjoyed local dessert wine by a glass. Off the main road of Ubud which can be stressful to negotiate at times, this is a lovely secret garden you should pay a visit if you are looking for a relaxed meal. Kids friendly.