“Not recommended”
Review of Villa Ibu

Villa Ibu
Ranked #370 of 599 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at Villa Ibu. We arrived late at night and our driver had trouble finding it as the place was quite secluded. Lets talk about the good points first, I loved the views of the padi fields from the room, it was amazing to sit in the balcony and look at the gorgeous fields while eating your breakfast. The bad points-there were many insects since there were many forested areas nearby. The water supply also seemed to be wonky. After I showered, the water actually ran out and my bf couldn't shower. We informed the staff and had to wait half an hour before there was water again. The water flow was extremely weak and he couldn't shower properly. This didn't happen on just one occasion. I woke up in the middle of the night and there was no water supply too! It happened on the second night again.
Overall, even though it was relatively cheap at S$70/night, I would recommend you to stay elsewhere in Ubud.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the EPL house (the house where the movie was shot) in the middle of the paddy fields for 5 nights and I loved it. After searching for a place to stay for 2 weeks, i ended up at this beautiful property. Location is 10 min bike ride from central of Ubud, which is fine (if you're ok if you ride a motorbike). It's very safe for single women travelling alone, not at any point did I feel unsafe.

The house itself is beautifully located, and if you want peace and quiet I can fully recommend this place. Another positive is that the owner is very much engaged. He is a very smart guy that wants to make you feel at home straight away. He even took me as his guest to a royal wedding after asking to attend a ceremony. He also personally dropped me off at the airport early in the morning.

Downsides: A young guy manages the place day-to-day and he's struggling. Breakfast was on Balinese time (more than half an hour late on several occasions), and the preparation of the eggs were sub-standard. Also, the house was not very clean at the start. I had to ask them twice to clean the house before it was manageable. The house can do with an upgrade, but value is still good compared to other properties.

Because the bungalow is located in the middle of rice fields, it comes with many animals, especially at night. But a MASSIVE upside is that there are no roosters or dogs waking you up early morning, something which is a luxury in Ubud.

All in all, an amazing Balinese experience. I will definitely come back to this place again, very sad I didn't stay there from the start.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Tangsi_wayan, Owner at Villa Ibu, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Hi Anne

Thanks so much for the review. Hopefully to see you again and stay longer with us

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed 5 nights at lovely secluded Villa Ibu. It is, as many of the reviews here say, not right in the centre of Ubud. But for us, this was a great thing, and exactly what we were looking for. Rice fields, friendly village, lovely staff, not busy or filled with tourists, and quiet! But still a managable distance to Ubud to go out for dinner, shopping or whatever you need. And a great location to do day trips to other parts of Bali.

ACCOMMODATION

The compound has four apartments, set in two double storey buildings, separated by a pool and beautiful garden in the centre. The pool is a really nice spot to chill out, have a dip, read a book etc. We tried out both of the ground floor villas, which were spacious, and clean, and had easy access to the pool and view of the gardens. The upstairs villas apparently have good rice field views, and from our walks around the area, there are certainly beautiful surroundings to enjoy! The beds were comfy and surrounded by cotton mosquito nets which while practical, also give off a nice holiday vibe. The bathroom was a generous size, and one of the bathrooms was partly outside, with an outdoor hot shower which I loved! The breakfasts are insanely good, with a plate of fresh cut fruit, fruit juice, coffee, tea, and a choice of scrambled eggs, omelette or banana pancake. I found it quite difficult to choose to be honest, they were all awesome. The staff were also really obliging with drinks of coffee and tea throughout the day when we stayed in. There is a fridge to store food, and facilities to cook (although they looked new and we didn't try them, so you would need to check that they work). The water is bore water, so you can brush your teeth and drink it safely, which was a nice comfort.

Did I mention the people at Villa Ibu are amazing? We met the owner (Pak Wayan Tangsi) who is a total dude and really friendly, he actually built the place so you can tell he really pays attention to detail and your happiness is his main concern. We ended up becoming quite good friends and felt like we were a part of the little Bentuyung community in only a few days. And the staff are really lovely and will help with anything if you ask. They also afford you plenty of privacy if that's what you're after.

LOCATION

While Villa Ibu is located on the 'main' street of Bentuyung village, it is at the northern end of the village and so the road is relatively quiet - particularly at night. We had no problems sleeping. I can see why drivers might have trouble finding it if they are not from Ubud (particularly if its your first day there, and you get a driver from the Airport) however, if you explain that it is the village of Bentuyung, north of Ubud, and north of the temple, they will work it out. It really is one straight road (Jalan Suweta) from the Ubud palace (centre of town) so its not difficult.

GETTING TO & FROM UBUD

The distance from Ubud could be a problem if you don't plan how you're going to get around. You can get a driver back and forth (about $3-$5 each way, depending on your negotiation skills) or hire motorcycles/scooters for the duration. If we had stayed longer we would have hired scooters for sure, but in the end, we enjoyed almost a daily walk to Ubud, substituting with drivers as needed. You can do the walk down the main road, which really isn't as scary as some make out. Still, that distance is about 4km, and took us between 45-60 minutes each way. Its a fun walk (though maybe avoid doing it at midday, when its super hot) and you get to experience the daily happenings of a Balinese village and meet some lovely locals and dogs and chickens! You don't get that from looking out a car window. The other option is to walk through the rice fields. There is walk that has become really famous among visitors to Bali, which starts at the main road of Ubud, and goes through the fields, past farmers at work, roosters crowing, people carting all manner of things around on motorbikes, to the cafe's Pomegranate and Sari Organic. If you kept going along this rice paddy walk for another 30-40 minutes, you come out in the middle of Bentayung village. Another 5 minutes, you're at Villa Ibu. So that was a nice alternative, longer, route into town (or indeed for a night cap at one of those cafes). At night, it was a particularly beautiful walk under a full moon, but you would need to bring a good torch just in case, mosquito repellent, and comfy shoes!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NelleMay
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Travelled with e more ladies, it was booked by my friend's colg thru some cheap deal. Location is far from Ubud town, even local driver we engaged wasn't sure where was this villa located. We arrived late night,having problem finding e villa since it's dark n deserted. Arrived at e villa,big room with big bathroom with bath tub but dirty bed sheet n blanket welcomed us. Requested e staff (owner of e villa) to give us another set of bed sheet, my fren and I changed it on our own as another lady already slept on e side bed. Friendly staff gave us a set of so-called new bed sheet but we still found stains.. Well,well... Told myself to bear with it coz it's just 1night stay. Think twice before booking! Cheers!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank yangly11
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Peaceful location, and heartwarming staff! In the middle of the rice fields near Ubud, where you can make a nice walk and enjoy nature. The hotel consists of four large rooms with a large terrace or balcony. From the balcony you have a panoramic view on the rice fields and the road through the village. The hotel is located a bit from a distance to Ubud, so you need a car or taxi if you want to visit the city of Ubud.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank O A
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family and I had a lovely stay and beautiful walks in the rice paddies all around the villa. It is a great location in the middle of the countryside yet only 10 mins by car to Ubud. Unfortunately the villa is too close to the road and early morning traffic, as well as building work on a nearby construction site prevented peaceful sleep from 6:30am.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have just arrived from my holidays in Indonesia and I will like to highlight this villa.

We have stayed there 2 adults and 2 children.

Pros:

- the villa is very nice and all the equipment is new
- Pool available
- Good service from personnel in charge of the villas
- Location close to rice fields. Stunning views
- Breakfast included
- Excellent attention of the owner

Cons:

- It´s a lit bit far from Ubud town center. In car is 5 minutes but walking could be more than 1 hour

If I would go back to Ubud I will choose these villas for sure