“Not as good as expected” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 56 Classes & Workshops in Ubud
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Expert silversmiths teach students how to fashion 10 grams of silver into jewelry.
Vienna
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not as good as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

After reading the many trip advisor reviews we gave this a try. Overall we were not that impressed by the experience. At 400,000 Rp or just over €30 we had hoped for a bit more. There was no doubt the guys there were firendly, but we felt that the expereince was lacking. Upon arrival we were give some books to take a look at or asked to sketch what we wanted to make. We chose a pendant for my wife to make, and I chose to make her some earrings. The pendant involved a lot of cutting with a small saw, and we were told that they would charge us extra as we would surely break many blades....ok we thought, but at 50,000Rp, an amount charged without counting the blades we broke, we thought they could have bought a lot more of these blades than we used. After cutting out the holes, the guys there took it and soldered a ring onto it, cleaned it, and attached a necklace...exerience over for my wife. It was pretty much the same case for me only quicker. I was given some silver wire to make the earings although I had chosen to make some with a flatter profile (too difficult perhaps), and after 10 minutes of bending the wire to the shape I wanted, it was taken by the guys and filled with solder, not at all the look that I was wanting. As with my wife, it was then taken and cleaned, ear pieces attached and handed back. The finsihed items of jewelry look decent enough (only up to our skill I suppose), but we learnt and experienced very little that could not have been done at home. We were not intimately involved as some reviews suggested, more like peripherally involved and paying for the privelage.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ormstown, Canada
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Not your average classroom!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I had discovered Wayan's sign on his house in the countryside outside of Ubud a few days earlier and had visited. With NO prior experience, but with a desire to do something creative in this artistic enclave, we booked and returned a few days later. Entering Wayan Sunarta's family compound, we passed the house of his uncle who was working on a detailled painting with one year of work already invested. Roosters crowed and laundry flapped, inscence burned and offerings littered the path as we passed the family temple before we arrived at Wayan’s lovely home at the back. Greeted warmly with hugs and drinks, we were guided through ideas for creating a first piece of jewelry and then we set out with pencil and paper. Satisfied with our “creations”, we were then guided with instruction and the odd held hand, until we had fashioned the crude pieces that were to become our "masterpieces" The polishing, a technique requiring thickly calloused hands since so much heat is produced from the friction, we relinquished to a teacher. Lastly, the welding required to attach rings, loops and pieces together, we again had watch since a first time class cannot begin to teach these skills. More polishing, and our 2 pieces were very proudly stowed away in bright organza bags... Two pieces of jewelry with meaning and memories.

Indianapolis, Indiana
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Create Your Own Silver Treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Sunarta, the owner of Chez Monique, and his skilled craftsmen gently guide you to create original silver jewelry. They have many idea books if you don't arrive with your own design in mind to get your creative juices flowing. You will be intimately involved in creating your own piece, and when it comes time to do the fine-tuning that requires their in-depth skills, they will appropriately step in and finalize your jewelry. You walk away with a beautiful piece of jewelry that you can be proud of because you designed and help make it.

It's a unique experience in a Ubud family compound where you get a sense of day to day living in Bali. Sunarta has created a crafting experience that includes a generous helping of encouragement and support. Don't miss this opportunity...especially if you love silver jewelry!

London, England, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful afternoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

What a wonderful afternoon my husband and I had with these guys! Just the 2 of us sat learning about silvermaking and with their support being able to make a ring and pendant (me) and a pendant by my husband. Very friendly and helpful - they made it so very enjoyable.

Visited November 2012
Aus
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Absolutely wonderful experience. My partner and i were greeted with a huge smile and a big hug. Complimentary bottles of water were available too!
We sat down and had a look through some books of what had been made before us. (Its good to have a bit of an idea of what you want to create before you go, pendant - ring - etc..) The staff were friendly, kind and patient, with well spoken english!

We hope to go back again on our next visit.