“Its a have to do!!!”

Ranked #2 of 56 Classes & Workshops in Ubud
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Expert silversmiths teach students how to fashion 10 grams of silver into jewelry.
Briar Hill
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Its a have to do!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

On our second visit to Bali we finally found this place and we so glad we did. Fabulous time design ing and making our ring and pendant. Wayan is a delight and his staff are great. Great value and a pretty good looking reminder of a memorable time.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“You have to do this....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having no artistic skill and no idea of what to expect, I was quite nervous about taking this on.....but what a fantastic experience ! The Chez Monique team helped me pick a design (and made sure that I was going to be able to handle it) and gave me all the information I needed to start. I picked quite a basic design but my partner picked an intricate and delicate design and we were both astounded at how great they came out with help from the Chez Monique team. There was always someone on hand to help and give guidance where needed and we have both walked away with a beautiful keepsake from our trip. I would recommend this to everyone.

Visited February 2013
Werribee, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Make your own Treasure to take home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

What an awesome creative time I had in this class with some other very friendly tourists.

Sunarta made us all feel so welcomed (group of 5). He is very friendly, kind & helpful along with 2 jewellery assistants.

The class starts with you looking through books for ideas if you don't know what to make which is a great idea. Your bound to find something you like from pendant, earrings & ring's etc.

Once picked, you draw your design on paper & your given a piece of silver to file, cut, bang, form into your desired shape.

You are shown how to cut, file etc but you are left to work on your own piece.... But don't worry if you get stuck or break a saw blade (I did twice) Sunarta & his team are there to fix things / help you when requried.

The only things you can't do is solder & polish your item. And fair enough too. These men are qualified in their craft & as an Amerture I was happy that is left to the professionals. You can certainly watch that process so you still feel part of the whole process.

You do work outside but there is shade from a balcony & trees. You are also given plenty of water (sealed bottles).

The workshop is on family compound & you'll enjoy the flowers, chickens, rosters & all the butterflies.

It really was idyllic. I totally enjoyed this class and hope to go back one day to make more jewellery. At least for now I have a fun piece I love hanging around my neck. A fun reminder of my trip to Bali.

California
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“New appreciation for jewelry making.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very fun couple of hours spent making a ring. Learned its not as easy as it looks. Really didn't matter that the cutout is not perfect - it's mine and I made it! Beautiful ring to cherish forever, including the memories. The craftsmen are extremely helpful and wildly encouraging.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kim J
Vancouver
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Great results!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Went with my wife. I should start with that I am very much NOt an artist. Drawing stresses me out to be honest. The guys at chez Monique were very welcoming and helpful. It is a great intro into how the local silver is made. You get to choose design (or design your own) - I chose a pendant and you get to participate in the whole process (they take over when the fire comes out, or you make an error).

The results were amazing!! I give full credit to the guys helping me though.

1 Thank losttravelling