“Excellent location. That's it.”
Review of Mawar Homestay

Mawar Homestay
Ranked #447 of 592 Ubud B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Excellent location. That's it.”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

It's not hell nor is it heaven. If you can find somewhere better, I'd reckon that would be a better option. Let me summarise the good and the bad on Mawar homestay for your convenience.

Good:
- Excellent location, very quiet. 5min walk from the palace and from the point of the Ubud short trek route.
- Very near convenience stores
- Looks homely and feels homely
- Clean rooms

Bad
- Very very poorly lit rooms. You couldn't see anything at all at night even when ALL the lights are on. I had to use a torch light to search for my stuff in my luggage at night.

- I had 2 bad nights here because someone behind the guesthouse will make LOUD announcements at 3am in the morning!

- Water in the shower. Only 3 small miserable strands of water coming out of the shower head.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rvn85

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I made the mistake of believing all the positive reviews of this place. Either they were all written by proxies of the owner, or these people have never stayed at a decent home stay before. Or maybe they were high on Balinese magic mushrooms. I don't really know, but don't believe them!

It's not hell on earth, but for the price it's quite poor value for money. The rooms, while clean and big enough, are very poorly lit. At night even with all the lights on you can barely see anything. And the service is simply apathetic- the owner couldn't be bothered for even the most basic advice or assistance. I asked for a towel and he gave me a "clean" one with brown stains all over it. And that was after spending 10 minutes just looking for him. I don't know what kinda mushrooms the previous reviewers were eating when they called Mr. Mawar an "excellent host"- he's anything but.

The place would be fine for 100.000 Rp, but for 200.000 (they actually wanted to charge me 250.000) it's VERY POOR value for money. Just walk down the street and find a better or cheaper place. Don't stay here unless you are out of options. The only redeeming factor is the excellent location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank RLO721
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Mawar Homestay is not quite your ordinary “homestay”. Firstly, it’s huge - goes way right to the back where the rooms are split into three levels. Basic, but very, very clean. I swear the floor sparkles! Secondly, since it’s situated somewhat elevated from the main road, you get a nicer view, either from the breakfast terrace or the second or third level rooms, that’s only obstructed by swaying leaves and flying birds. Plus, you get used to climbing up the stone steps in no time. Thirdly, the location: a short walk across the road takes you to the paddy fields, and the Ubud Market, Jl. Monkey Forest, the Palace, are all but 10 minutes away on foot. Pak Mawar is friendly and caring, and would sit and chat with you when he’s around, especially at breakfast time. Fourthly, it feels just like home, and I managed to sleep in for the 4 days that I was there, which I don't normally do on a vacation! Checking-in and –out was hassle free – trust is the norm here. I’d stay here again, for sure. I only wish the lights in the room were a tad bit brighter, because it gets dark pretty fast in Bali, and I had to strain my eyes to read at night.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank SpicyOlio
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Mr Ketut Mawar is an excellent host, he had a very discrete but reassuring way of making you feel at home in their family compound house. You are made to feel as a guest. It is indeed a small oasis to base onself in discvering Ubud and its surrounds. What you see in their website is what you get. Clean rooms and bathroom and toilets. It has hot water too! I did not mind having a refreshing cold shower though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank aidoronila
Johor
Reviewed November 17, 2011

When first step into the homestay, it give me an artistic feel as you can see a lot of oil-painting of balinese culture, a nice balinese garden and a cafe with relax atmosphere...

We book standard double room and the room was clean and cozy. No air-cond but I feel this keep the spirit of Bali. Room was decorated with Bali oil-painting. The attached bathroom was also clean.

Overall feeling is GREAT!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
16 Thank ChunTat
MawarHomestay, Owner at Mawar Homestay, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
I am very pleased, Thanks for a great review and I am glad that you enjoy. We hope if you are on holiday again to Ubud - Bali, you can stay longer at our place.

Best wishes

Mawar
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Seven of us rocked up here and we were all welcomed by the owners really well. Walking in the entrance is like stepping back in time to the aristocratic days of Singapore or Malaysia. When I was told by one of our group that it was $20 US for a couples room I honestly expected a dump!! Whoa!!...what a pleasant surprise. OK...its not 5 star but rooms were pleasant enough, hot water, fans, breakfast included and 5min walk from the centre of UBUD. Owners very friendly , right next door is a very fast internet cafe along with an honest legit money changer. No complaints from any of us...although one rooster starts earlier than any other I heard in Bali

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank chrisk0106
Kent
Reviewed August 6, 2011

A great location within Ubud.
Professional and friendly owner, who is an artist, there are lovely paintings everywhere.
Lovely family atmosphere.
The homestay compound has a beautiful family temple that is tended to often.
The rooms are basic but perfectly comfortable. We came twice during our trip and stayed in both rooms 6 and 7. Plentiful hot water in both. One had bath, the other had powerful shower.
It never got busy so you may well be able to choose your room, they are all a bit different.
It's an open-window sort of place, but although I thought I'd be bothered by bugs, I saw nothing. You do tend to get woken by the cockerels in the morning though!
The breakfast is simple but well cooked/prepared and I enjoyed it a lot, usually fried egg, buttered toast, fruit salad, tea/coffee.
Everything here is done with care and attention, even though nothing is fancy - it doesn't need to be. You feel cared about as part of the family.
Lots of steps to the entrance - perhaps not good if you're disabled.
The price? About $10 per person per night - can't beat it.
I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: 7 - hot powerful shower. 6 - bathtub with shower attached. 9 - small twin beds. 6 - big twin beds.