Kecak Fire & Trance Dance (Pura Dalem Taman Kaja)
Open today: 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Kecak Fire & Trance Dance (Pura Dalem Taman Kaja)
from $41.00
More Info
from $75.00
More Info
1,108 results
All reviews front row coconut husks hot coals show starts story line uluwatu temple balinese culture unique experience performers performance costumes audience embers mesmerizing sita characters storyline
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The hindu story of Ramayana accompanied by chanting men and greatly performed by the artists. It is mesmerizing and the sounds of chorus stay in your head for the whole evening afterwards.
Loved the experience! Maybe a bit long, but totally worth staying until the end to want the fire dance!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We have been to Bali before but we had never seen this dance. Followed the advice I read here and we went about 45minutes before it started. We just purchased the tickets outside the venue. The guy at the door even let us eat inside as we were hungry after being out all day, especially with two kids (9 and 6). We read the leaflet while we were waiting for the dance to begin - i think its a must or you will not understand what is going on. We picked up the story immediately. We loved the story and the dance, however i thought the singing was a bit too long at some points. My 9yo loved it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Not to be missed. This may not be an ancient dance, but it has become a must see in the Balinese culture. Arriving just before sunset, this sets the scene for a great performance you are sure to enjoy.

Reviewed October 10, 2018

The setting is lovely. They passed out papers that described what was going to happen since the language they were singing in is related to Sanskrit and, naturally, we didn't understand it. I read the paper but still had a little trouble following the story. The main idea was good triumphing over evil - bad guys, good guys, a few women dancers. It was worth seeing but I'm not sure I would have given something else up to go. Most of the seats are on the ground level around the area in which the performance will take place. You should get there early so you can choose a good one. It was very annoying that people kept getting in front of me to take photos, some with selfie sticks which made it even worse. There's a cast that performs the main story and a chorus of probably 75 or 100 men who chant between the scenes. I've never seen anything quite like it. There was a fire scene at the end which was quite interesting. It's held after dark so the fire really stood out and was impressive.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

I did not think I would like it that much when I heard about the men chanting, etc. but that's what made it special! Get there early to get good seats.

1  Thank Paul O
Reviewed September 30, 2018

The Temple of Death has an atmosphere of itself, quiet remarkable with many monsters statues. It is nice to visit at sunset. Impressive Kecak dances are held here at night. Do not miss it while in Ubud.

1  Thank ochassot
Reviewed September 26, 2018 via mobile

Worth every single penny! You find yourself gaping in awe and the mesmerising chant and movements of the dancers. The only thing that ruins the experience a bit is all the annoying people using the flashes of their cameras - really, DON'T DO THAT, you destroy an amazing experience... it should be forbidden. Imagine sitting there alone, that would be a dream come true!
Tips:
• come early if you want a good seat (I was there at 6.50 PM and the best seats were already taken then but I got a decent seat)
• DON'T BE LATE and DON'T bloody talk during the show, it's extremely annoying for everyone else
• read the folder before the show to understand the story
• you can either buy ticket outside the temple, at some places up the street to the temple or from locals selling them at the down corner on the street

I'll post a picture of the folder/ticket so you know what it looks like (if someone tries to sell you false ones) and some information about it is on that too

All in all - go, amazing experience you will never forget!

2  Thank YonNika
Reviewed September 21, 2018

The photos don't do justice to this experience. We were mesmerised from the first minute. It's a performance like no other.

Don't rely on the toilet at the venue. It's very basic and there's always a line (unless you arrive there well in advance).

Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

Nice experience seeing the traditional dance with a story, it’s a story taken from the hindu religion Ramayana and depicted in an art form. Nominal ticket pricing and can get it from the gate itself

1  Thank lovestj2000
Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

I’ve seen the Kecek dance before performed in a hotel but the setting for this performance is superb. It creates a great atmosphere. The fire dance at the end created an exciting finale. It pays to arrive early as the best seats at the front fill up early. We sat on some staging at the back which was uncomfortable with no back support. Considering the amount of money the organisers take better seating and better toilet facilities could be installed - two toilets for hundreds of people is not acceptable in a modern commercial show.