“A Gem, but not for everybody”
Review of Ubud Aura

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ubud Aura
Ranked #96 of 542 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Melbourne
“A Gem, but not for everybody”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had the stay of a lifetime at the Ubud Aura, but this was not because of the hotel and the facilities, but because of the fantastic people I met.

On the plus side - the location is great, especially if you are doing courses at the Yoga Barn. I had a deluxe room and I really enjoyed my private balcony (not all deluxe rooms have one) a simple but well appointed bathroom, a great bed and the wifi was good, though patchy at times) Breakfast is simple and situated at a communal table where you get to meet the other people staying. The service is always friendly, but can be a bit slow - and the staff are very helpful and really friendly The pool, though not huge, is great. I had two of the best massages at the spa while I was there.

On the not so great side, the towels and sheets are a bit thin, the toiletries provided are adequate, the wifi does cut out at times and there is a bit of a lack of attention to detail with the cleaning at times.

I said in the title that this place isn't for everybody. If you're looking for up market, a lot of privacy or solitude, you're probably not going to find it here. Good for the single, alternative traveller who is happy to connect with like minded souls.

Room Tip: Avoid room 105. The deluxe rooms up the back, though the wifi can be patchy are good value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank PandoraBehr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I chose this hotel because I was doing a course at The Yoga Barn and it is literally right next door, so very convenient.

The only drawback is that it is a little bit hard to find down an alleyway so drivers might get lost. Make sure you know some landmarks nearby.

I found it REALLY quiet! I only saw a few other guests during my stay even though my driver told me the place was fully booked. One reason is that there is no restaurant there so people don't gather for meals. They do serve breakfast though, at a lovely long, communal table near the pool. I got to choose a modest meal from a menu of only a few choices.

As a guest, I received a complimentary foot massage in the very small spa facility and it was beautiful.

There was wi-fi in the Room (I stayed in the Lotus) but the signal wasn't very strong, so when I wanted to use Skype, I had to go out on my balcony or down near the pool.

Although the room was clean and nicely presented, they could certainly invest in some new towels and bath mats. The ones in my room were old, thin and frayed.

It was also a bit awkward regarding privacy as there was glass paneling around my front door and I was a bit thrown to see the cleaning staff come past and peek into my room so that they could check if the room was vacant. I'm just glad I hadn't just got out of the shower.

To end on a positive note though, the staff were lovely and made every effort to fulfill my requirements. A transfer back to the airport was only 200,000 and the driver very friendly, with good English speaking skills.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Deluxe room if you want a fridge and tv.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julia H
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked Ubud Aura on a recommendation from a friend as was looking for somewhere near yoga barn - The location couldn't be better it is right next door! Its also well placed in the cenre of Ubud for local shops and restaurants. Only trouble with this is the lane outside is busy with motorbike traffic heading up and down to yoga barn which if noise bothers you would be annoying.

Breakfast was varied and delicious and I never had to wait long for service. There is no restaurant in the hotel but you can order in from a local place - I didn't try this service so can't comment.

Staff were friendly - I used the airport collect service and the man was there waiting on my arrival - I spoke to people at Aura who had tried to use airport taxis that were unsure of the location and got lost finding it.

I had a relaxing massage and a first love facial and the facial was great but the massage a bit average.

I'd defo stay here again and I am already planning my next trip back.

Room Tip: I was in Melatia which even though its a beautiful room its too far from reception to recieve a real...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Korinamcintyre
København
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I booked my stay at Ubud Aura because of the reviews here on Tripadvisor. (And because it is right next to Yoga Barn….) And I am not sorry!!!
I had booked a transfer from my hotel in Legian – and was picked up at the agreed time by a very helpful and friendly driver (Made)! I had treated myself to a deluxe room, which was a large and very beautifully decorated room. The room also had a very spacious verandah where I loved to spend my evenings listening to the frogs. The hotel staff was all very friendly and surely made me feel more than welcome. The big pool is lovely and a very nice and peaceful place to hang out. The poolside breakfast area is a really good spot to meet some of the other hotel guests. For the first couple of days I had no idea that so many solo-travelers was staying at this hotel – but one morning I stayed at breakfast a bit longer, and met so many lovely and like-minded travelers! Thank you!!
I truly enjoyed my time at Ubud Aura – and I know that I will come back when I am in Ubud next time….

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have fridge, aircon and private verandah. Superior rooms also looked very nice but with...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bundanoon, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I love love love Ubud Aura! the location is fantastic being so close to the shops & right next door to the Yoga Barn with its fantastic outdoor organic cafe & so many activities held there daily. The staff at Ubud Aura are always very friendly & helpful & being a smaller resort everyone is treated like family. They now have their own spa for massages which were very relaxing. The grounds & pool are kept in a pristine condition, the breakfasts on the terrace beside the pool were more than adequate. It is unfortunate that there is a new hotel being constructed next door & that you can no longer see the view over the ricefields however there is still a green strip between the 2 hotels. I stayed for 10 days & the construction noise was nowhere near as bad as I thought it may have been. To compensate for the inconvenience the Ubud Aura now has satellite tv, free wifi throughout the resort & complimentary shuttle bus around central Ubud. I booked airport transfers & their driver Made was waiting for me at the airport on arrival. This was my 2nd stay at the Ubud Aura & I would highly recommend it as it is great value for money. I will definitely stay there again. Thankyou to the wonderful staff at Ubud Aura & I look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have airconditioning, standard rooms have ceiling fans only.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank robfagan
Singapore
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was in ubud for a detox at yoga barn and the perfect location of ubud aura was just next door which made it very convenient for me to travel.
Location was also good along Hanoman St and walking distance to monkey forest. Shopping and food was easily accessible. The room was also clean (i was staying in a deluxe double ) and there is a nice pool to relax by. The staff were also always obliging when i had to ask for hot water every day as there is no kettle in the room.
The 8 nights were overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed September 19, 2012

from the moment i arrived i was treated with the utmost best service (possibly the most sincere and authentic good service I've ever experienced in Bali). All the staff were so attentive and always thinking ahead of what i may need or require. They never said 'no' to any of my requests and were so graceful if their approach. The rooms vary in standard and price but with the great pool and its location near yoga barn, Ubud Aura is a gem for those wanting to spend around $60 or so per night.

Room Tip: i love the rooms upstairs with verandah - heavenly!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo