“Great place! Great guy!”

The Melting Pot Saloon
Ranked #330 of 772 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A great place to eat, drink and recreate. The comforts of home have been brought to Ubud. Play pool, throw darts, have a few drinks and some ribs,Tex-Mex, or burgers and such. Comfortable seating and great atmosphere that includes the flag of every country in the world. As a guest, one is entitled to sign the flag of their origin. Great place to see sporting events on the big screens as well.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place! Great guy!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have been to several expat bars around the world; but this is by far the best. Greg's a great guy, the beers are cold, the flags are amazing and the pool tables are the real deal.

In addition, the food is authentic as are the margaritas. It was quiet on my visit, but I enjoyed my chat with Greg and some very nice Australian folks (OK, he was born in NZ), who have settled here. I would highly recommend this place and wish I could extend my stay. I will be back.

Mac

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank jmcdonald1958

Ubud, Indonesia
“A Real Game Room Pub!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The unpretentious style and ambiance is warm, friendly and lively. Most of the people I have met there comment in one way or another what a great find this bar is, and that they want to return time and time again. In fact, many say they’re evenings at ‘The Pot’ are some of the most memorable and enjoying times in Ubud. It’s not just the place, the food, the music (only juke box in Bali as I understand) the games, the quality of drinks, the pleasant and attentive staff; it is also the kind of people one meets there. Travelers from all over the world, expatriate and local regulars, visiting business persons, young and old from many walks of life all create a lively and inviting atmosphere that is never quite the same twice no matter how many times one returns.
This place is well thought out and obviously a devotion and dream of dedication created for one reason and one reason only:
For others to enjoy and remember for years to come… thus the flags where you can make your mark and be a part of history…
I highly recommend you pay “The Pot” a visit and see for yourself.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank RSeivertson
Marengo, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“RIBS LIKE BACK HOME, MARGARITAS TO DIE FOR!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

While staying in Ubud again, there'll be more than a few visits to the Melting Pot due to the variety of recreation, terrific food and drinks available til the wee hours of the morning (4am!). The Melting Pot was conveniently located to my hotel, just a few doors away. Did I mention the ribs?... They're damn good! The staff was friendly and the environment was quite inviting, a very spacious establishment uncommon for Indonesia.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Gregg S
Melbourne, Australia
“i know how they got the name”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

went here a couple of times in the last week one for lunch the other time in the evening,
kind of what you expect, the Ribs that other people have commented on where not available as there was none left, (strange considering no one else was in there), there was also another item on the menu that they had ran out of too, the biggest complaint was the heat, the place is so hot
wide open frontage and only fans, which are only effective when turned on, (which they were'nt) it was'nt even a hot day, so can only imagine what it would be like on a hot day and if it was busy
so ok for a couple of beers and a sauna

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank 0425steven
San Antonio, Texas
“Best Ribs in the World (.)”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stumbled on The Melting Pot with a handful of close friends as we were aimlessly wondering around Ubud. It's set back a bit off the main strip near the monkey forrest yet, somehow your eye is drawn towards it. As we walked up to the place I started to feel this odd sensation as if we were walking into Mos Eisley Cantina. With every couple steps we took, a new sense was engaged. Les McCann's "Compared to What" seamlessly began to fill the air, the knocking of one billiard into another, inaudible chatter from local expats and tourists, the clanking of glasses and roaring laughter - unmistakable for anything other than a community in celebration. Inside...visually stunning. The bar was so long it could have ran for miles for all I know...the walls, almost from floor to ceiling all covered with the flags from nearly every country I could count - some had several unreadable scribbles on them that with closer inspection I confirmed were in fact signatures. You see this isn't just a bar you pass through...it's one where you leave your mark. Big black and whites of celebrities playing pool such as the Rat Pack, frame out one wall. We slowly make our way through the club, I pass my hand over the felt top of one of the several full sized pool tables, I pick up a ball to feel it's weight. An aroma then demands all of our attention as we walk to the bar...I spoke to a friendly, mountain of a man sitting at the corner sipping on an already ice cold beer poured over ice cubes resting in a chilled mug - I could tell he was an expat with experience so, I asked him what's good here. "People tend to enjoy the pizza-" he began to say though, I couldn't help myself but, to cut him off "What is that incredible smell?!"...he chuckles and says only one word to get me hooked..."Ribs." Never in my life have I had ribs where eating them with a fork was not only possible but, actually preferable! These succulent little pork parts just slide off the bone when you reach to pick them up as if they had been slow cooked in a barbecue cloud for days. The cut of meat is an excellent one and there is plenty to share in one serving...though, trust me you wont want to! - we were all chomping at the bit for the last piece and at each others throats just to lick the plate clean (well, not really but, almost!) The flavor has clearly been honed over a career of trial and error - It's not quite a glaze and not just a sauce but, rather this tangy, sweet, juicy BBQ infusion with just the right amount of heat to leave your thirst begging to be quenched...It's the type of dish that when you first dig in you know that who has prepared it for you tailored it to his/her taste and put real care, passion and deliberate consideration into every bite. Speaking of a thirst in need of quenching -- I have yet to have a better margarita than the one at the Melting Pot this side of the Pacific. Refreshing as all hell and equally as delicious...it leaves a taste in your mouth you wont quite be able to put your finger on. The combination of the two, in addition to the atmosphere makes for a memorable experience that you'll recount for family and friends for years to come...it's an experience that sticks for sure. I'll also add that the service is great and quite quickly you start to feel like a regular...an old friend back for a visit. As it turned out that friendly, mountain of a man was the owner Greg. It didn't take much to encourage him to shoot a little pool however, be warned - He's VERY good! But, after all a little humble pie doesn't taste too bad following a family serving of the best BBQ ribs and traditional margarita I've ever had. Also, a little tip for the tourists...it's a great place to go if you want to get the real scoop on the neighborhood ;)

• Visited August 2012