“Great way to explore Ubud”
Review of Bali On Bike

Bali On Bike
Ranked #16 of 207 Outdoor Activities in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Fabulous Bali cycling and riding and tour experience, with our mountain bikes to enjoy the whole heart of Bali in a glimpse ! a must have memory for every tourist. Lovely cycling experience. Working out on the 3 uphill climbs and you wll now well gravity worrks. The best genuine experience of our entire balinese culture at a glimpse by riding 95% only through wonderful landscape of ubud and ancient balinese way ancient of life.
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We went on this tour on the 8th June. It turns out that we were the only couple on that day so we had a "private" tour which was brilliant. Moon was a wonderful, friendly, knowledgable guide. There is actually not that much riding to do as the bike ride is mostly down hill. Moon stopped at a local rice field where we had the opportunity to cut the rice just like the locals. The delicious Balinese lunch at the end of the tour was fantastic. We would like to thank Moon, Bob and Dewa who went out of their way to assist us on the tour day.

All reviews
"home cooked"
"wealth of information"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Great way to explore the real Bali. Picked up from hotel and driven to UBUD. Went to a coffee plantation for breakfast which was fabulous. Tried a variety of teas and coffee and has some homemade pancakes which were delicious. Visited Mt Batur/Lake Batur for some happy snaps then jumped on the bikes and rode for approximately 35kms downhill most of the way. Stopped off at a couple of family compounds to experience the real way the Balinese live, also stopped off at a primary school, the presidents palace and some rice fields. Last stop was at Bob's compound for a buffet lunch which was one of the best meals we had whilst in Bali. This is my second time on this tour and I loved it just as much the second time as I did the first. Its great to get away from the hustle of busy Kuta and experience the real Bali.
Had a little trouble booking the tour through the website so I would recommend a direct email to: balionbike@gmail for quick confirmation.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous day out with Bali on bike! On the tour was just my husband and I and we loved every minute. Our guide was Dewar aka "Bob" and he was so friendly and knowledgable about the culture and religions of Bali.
We also loved visiting the coffee plantation was has lots of other interesting things to see and taste. The bike ride itself was overall pretty easy and mostly downhill but there was one steep hill to ride up. I decided to get off my bike and walk up and Bob offered to drive me up in the car which is also an option. There is always a car following you for safety and the driver will get out and stop traffic so you can pass which is great. The highlights were seeing the real Balinese communities and villages and the lunch after which is prepared by Bob's wife at their home! It's is really tasty! I managed doing this tour when I was 3 months pregnant and would highly recommend it to everyone! Thanks again Bob!

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Great day out. Knowledgeable humorous guide - Moon. Amazing scenery and beautiful lunch provided. The tour guides made sure we were safe all the way- driving ahead and stopping traffic! Fantastic value for money.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We were determined to explore "real" Bali on this trip rather than stick to the Kuta area so embarked on a number of day trips inlcuding this one. I was inspired to book through Bali on Bike after reading the great reviews on TA.

I booked via email 3 weeks beforehand.We were told we'd be picked up from our hotel in Legian between 7.30 and 7.45am however the driver was there at 7am and we were ready to go so no dramas - better early than late. The drive took one hour from Legian. After there were no further stops made, we realised it would be just the 2 of us on the tour which was a nice surprise.

We met with our guide Mun and were driven to the Luwak coffee plantation. Here, the first thing Mun did was grab a huge tree spider from a tree on the side of the path as we were walking. I wasn't too sure what his intentions were (& was hoping he wasn't going to kill it), turned out he wanted to place it on my boyfriend's back and have it walk over him - ha! Mun promised us the spider was harmless. Quite amusing & my bf was a good sport (I didn't volunteer to have the spider on me though!!)

With spider safely back on the tree branch, we continued on through the plantation grounds. We were then seated and a staff member from the plantation sat with us whilst we tasted about 12 or so different flavoured coffees & teas & ate delicious banana & coconut pancakes. We were then taken into the store by the staff member where, being that there was only the 2 of us in the group, we couldn't not buy something(!) so bought a small packet of coconut flavoured coffee.

My biggest tip is to make sure you use the toilets here before you leave. They are western style, clean and had soap available. It will be approx 3 hours before your lunch stop and I don't like the chances of finding a toilet along the bike ride!

We then stopped at a vantage point of the volcano and Mun happily took our photo. After this, we came to the start point of our downhill bike ride. Mun and the driver got our bikes and helmets ready whilst we topped up the suncream and then we were off.

The majority of the ride is on a track through the villages on an unsealed road. Whilst I was worried about sore legs, I actually didn't do much pedalling at all, instead it was sore hands that bothered me. Not being the best off-road mountain biker, I was gripping the handlebars ever so tightly whilst trying to navigate the smoothest route amoungst all the pot holes. There was really no avoiding the potholes though which made for a bumby ride. Mun though always made us feel at ease and would continue to check in on me asking if I needed to stop for a rest. I'm sure he welcomed a rest every now and then too. Mun provided us with a bottle of water attached to the bike and he carried more in his backpack.

Along the ride, we came across some local people preparing for an upcoming wedding. We stopped to have a look at the decorations from outside however were quickly invited to come into the grounds. We were welcomed with tea & sticky rice by the groom to be and met his future bride. It was a lovely experience and whilst I felt rude at first, Mun assured us that it was good luck for them to have us as visitors so I didn't feel so bad then(!)

Along the way there plenty of local children waving and shouting hello to us which was cute.

We continued along on our ride and soon popped out onto the main street in which we had driven up earlier (where I'd thought to myself 'thank goodness we're not riding on this road) - turns out we would be riding on that road! It was only for a short time and Mun instructed us to be careful of the young kids who could be unpredictable on scooters. I just took my time and when I constantly looked at my blind spot before veering into traffic to pass a parked car, I could see that our driver was behind me following us down so that we made it safely. That put my mind at ease and in the end, I honestly felt safer on that street than riding my bike on the streets of Perth in Australia! In Bali, motorists are driving at slow speeds & respect bike riders.

We then rode through some rice paddies on a flat sealed road this time so I was able to relax and concentrate on the beautiful scenery around me. We stopped and watched some workers and Mun gave them one of our extra bottles of water which was lovely (they needed it more than us!)

Then came lunch time at 1pm with a tour around Bob's Balinese compound. Mun was very insightful and gave us plenty of information about culture, religion & every day life in Bali. The food as other reviewers have noted, was delicious and being that there was just the 2 of us & Mun on the tour, meant we had plenty of it!

It then came time to say goodbye to Bob & Mun and our driver took us on another hour's drive back to Legian.

We thoroughly enjoyed this activity and would do it again and recommend it to others. Thank you Bali on Bike.

2  Thank Julia J

Been to Bali On Bike? Share your experiences!