“Bali on Bike- An unforgettable experience”
Review of Bali On Bike

Bali On Bike
Ranked #16 of 207 Outdoor Activities in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Fabulous Bali cycling and riding and tour experience, with our mountain bikes to enjoy the whole heart of Bali in a glimpse ! a must have memory for every tourist. Lovely cycling experience. Working out on the 3 uphill climbs and you wll now well gravity worrks. The best genuine experience of our entire balinese culture at a glimpse by riding 95% only through wonderful landscape of ubud and ancient balinese way ancient of life.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband, my 2 sons (4+8) fell in love with everything about this tour. From the charming family who run it and all their helpers to the countryside of Bali. I cant tell you how many times we laughed and joked on this trip. The Dewa family and their employees are truly hospitable and kind and we were so happy to have met them.
They picked us up from our hotel in Ubud and drove us up the the drop off point (stopping to see a few beautiful sights on the way including coffee plantation). When we got to out destination, we all geared up on our bikes and started our trip. My 4yr old sat in the baby seat behind my husband but my 8 yr old decided to bike it. We had a safety vehicle follow us the whole way and when my son started falling asleep on the back of the bike we stopped and he was placed in the back of the truck. The ride took us about 3 hrs all downhill mainly through the country side and we passed homes of villagers and kids would wave to us as we passed by. It was a great time to reflect on how simple life can be yet so very enriching. The ride ended with a delicious lunch at the home of Mr Dewa made by his beautiful wife. They were gracious hosts in opening their home up to us.
If you want to know what it's like in a typical day in the life of a Bali local, I would recommend this amazing tour. Leave behind urban lifestyle and be prepared to experience beautiful, simple, kind and funny Bali.

1  Thank Sr_Amira
"home cooked"
"wealth of information"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Most days in life just drift by without being particularly memorable, the day we did this tour certainly wasn't one of them. I loved every second of it.

We were collected from our hotel right on time and were taken in a nice air conditioned car up to Ubud where we picked our guide, whose name was Moon. Straight away he started sharing insights into Balinese culture and much of the decorations and small temples we'd already noticed around the island started to gain a lot more meaning.

We arrived at a coffee plantation where we did some tea, coffee (and tabacco if you are a smoker) sampling and were given a really tastey breakfast of pancakes filled with sugar and coconut. We got to see the Luwak, small cat like animals who are aparently responsible for processing some of the finest coffee on earth and Moon showed us lots of different plants and herbs, which was fascinating. The views there were amazing. Next was a drive up to the volcano to admire the views and learn more about the history of the place.

The bike part of the tour was fantastic and we were really lucky as we were the only two people on the tour that day so we got to pick the pace and get a decent work out cycling up some quite steep hills. Having said this, if that is the last thing you want to do on holiday, then the ride can be mostly downhill where barely any peddling is required. The whole time we were riding the support crew was near at hand and when it got to the point that I felt the heat was getting to me a car was there to pick us up in minutes. This ride is incredibly well planned and equiped and can be tailored to all levels of fitness and ability. Everything you need is provided even down to bottles of water and tastey fruit to eat.

The route composed of cycling through several small villages, stopping at notable places and events so Moon could explain more about the Balinese way of life. A fair part of the route was through the surrounding farm larm and countryside, including a stop at a rice field where I helped the women harvest some rice. The scenary was amazing and we even got to meet a very special white cow and feed her some leaves.

The tour concluded with an exceptionally good lunch at the owner Bob's compound. This is where Moon told us all about family life and religious beliefs. We also had a couple of Bintangs while we talked and when it was time to leave Bob insisted we take one for the jourmey back.

Considering that bike hire, all meals, refreshments and entrance fees are included in the cost of this tour it is excellent value for money. I feel that we got an intimate look into the Balinese way of life and now have amazing memories to last a lifetime. For that I give my heartfelt thanks to Bob and his team and especially Moon for making the day so special.

2  Thank Fatyak
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Have just returned from a 10-day belated honeymoon in Bali with my wife. We both wanted to see some of the real Bali, and as keen cyclists decided that a bike tour would be an excellent way to do so. We were picked up from our hotel in Sanur bright and early by a friendly, chatty driver to take us to the start of the tour, via a coffee plantation for a light breakfast and opportunity to sample local coffees and teas. On the day we did the tour, it was just my wife and myself, and our guide was informative, friendly and entertaining. After visiting the plantation, we went on to see Mount Batur, an active volcano, before starting the bike part of the tour. Our guide happily offered to take photos of us together so we would have more than just the memories to take away with us.

Once it was time to start the bike tour, we were properly briefed on the bikes, and warned that the brakes may be different to what we're used to back home (as often the levers are on the opposite sides), and told to check we were happy with the fit of the bikes before we started. Mineral water was provided throughout the tour, along with bananas and other local fruit to keep us sustained. Cycling through the rural Balinese communities, with our guide telling us all about community life was incredibly interesting and enlightening. Plenty of opportunities were given to ask any further questions that we wished. Stunning scenery to ride through, with a pleasant breeze from the downhill sections to keep you cool, topped off by loads of friendly locals smiling and greeting us as we passed, especially the children.

We loved seeing the rice fields, especially my wife who had the opportunity to have a go at harvesting the rice.

Throughout the tour, we had both the minibus and the pickup truck for the bikes following us, leaving us with the option to leave any belongings safely locked away, and also meaning if we needed a break at any time we were welcome to get in the bus for a breather, although this wasn't needed. This wonderful day was rounded off by a lovely couple of hours spent at Bob's home, with a lovely spread of proper Balinese food laid on for us, which was more than we could manage to eat, despite our best efforts, and plenty of chilled Bintang. I certainly believe that we started the day as customers, and left as friends, with another bottle of chilled Bintang forced into our hands for the trip back to Sanur.

If you are in the area, this is something you must do, and I can not recommend Bali On Bike enough.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Yesterday we enjoyed a great day cycling through the rice fields with our two girls of 2 and 4. Everything was well organised by Mr. Bob and his team and they did their utmost to ensure our safety. For those who are interested to learn about the living communities and want to explore Bali's beautiful country side this is a must do. Our guide Moon became our girls favourite and we look back at a great well organised experience. The lunch prepared by Mr. Bob's wife concluded a perfect day, thanks a lot.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2013

What a fantastic day with so much to take in. Bob was a very nice man, who clearly puts a lot of thought into making the trip a most memorable experience. I hadn't been on a bike for many years and was a little nervous, but I needn't have worried as I felt really supported by Bob & his lovely crew. It was the most wonderful feeling riding through quiet Balinese villages and seeing life away from all the touristy areas. How beautiful the countryside is! Bob was only too happy to answer all of my questions about Balinese life and was a very good communicator. Lunch at Bob's Balinese family home was great - the food was superb and we were all made to feel very welcome. This was one of the best day trip's I have done in all of my travels - I will do it again the next time I visit Bali. I highly recommend fitting a day with Bali on Bike into your trip to Bali - your life will be richer for for having this experience.
Alex Munn

Been to Bali On Bike? Share your experiences!