“A Peaceful Refuge”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
The Bedroom of Kunang Kunang
Outdoor bathroom in Kunang-kunang ( Firefly ) guest house.
Bathroom Bedroom 1
Bathroom Bedroom 1
In the centre of the beautiful tropical gardens of Bali Firefly where breakfast can be served
Rice terraces and the harvest nearby.
Pavilion
Garden path to the front of Kunang Kunang...your home away from home.
Garden
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Solatrave...
Columbus, Ohio
“A Peaceful Refuge”
Reviewed October 19, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

I enjoyed my four weeks at Kunang Kunang. A short walk to the center of Penestanan Kaja, kunang kunang is located on a quiet walking/ motor bike path on a rice field. My villa felt spacious. The living / dining area was open to the outside on three sides and surrounded by beautiful trees and plants. I started my day here to the sound of cows and roosters. The bedroom was up a few steps, lockable with a lockable cabinet. The bed was very comfy with good linens. The bathroom was an open, garden style bath with great hot water and great water flow.

Kadek will freshly prepare a delicious vegan breakfast for you every morning. He will help you in most any way possible, is accessible, sweet-natured and has very good English.

There are a wealth of vegan options for dinner within walking distance. Moksa is excellent, Alchemy has a great salad bar, Sharaswhaty Indian can make anything vegan. Locavore and Mozaic for special occasions. The closest good restaurant is Oasis, they do great smoothies and a delicious vegan tempeh satay.

I went to Intuitive Flow yoga, about a 20-minute walk away. The pool at the Villa is beautiful and the owner allowed me to use his TRX to keep up with my exercises.

Kunang kunang is perfect for a quiet getaway. It's too far from the center of Ubud though to go there on a daily basis unless you have your own motorbike. It is a 40 minute walk, not 20, with steps and a steep hill to navigate in the heat.

There were new owners who were just getting their feet wet when I stayed there and there weren't activities planned as I thought there would be according to other reviews. But I think more is now available. Still, it was easy to arrange things on my own. A cooking class at Bali Farm Cooking School, a silversmithing class at Perak, self-arranged tours with a local driver to visit temples and nearby craft Villages. I do recommend that you use Mustika Wayan, the recommended driver, as he's knowledgeable and a good driver.

The best tip I can give you is that if you have a smartphone, download the app Maps.Me. You don't need internet to use it, and it has the walking and motorbike paths in the area that Google Maps doesn't show. I was lost constantly until I learned about this app.

I highly recommend Kunang Kunang.

Oct 26, 2017
Great recommendation re the app!
The distance to the palace from our place is 1 kilometre. It is quite walkable if it's what you're used to. Activities are all available and can be arranged for guests.
Birtleybo...
Melbourne
“Beautiful home and service”
Reviewed October 6, 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

Stayed here with my wife and it was a short but memorable stay. Beautifully located and designed the home offers a tranquil retreat. With the warm natured Kadek there to look after you and the chance to do exciting day trips with Yandira it gave us both an adventurous and relaxing four days in UBud. Would definitely recommend and hopefully we will return again soon.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Oct 9, 2015
Dear Colin and Rachel,thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I very much appreciate the gesture. I am delighted to know that you both enjoyed your stay. To be able to introduce our guests to another side of Bali and for you to be able to meet some of the wonderful Balinese friends I have been privileged to know over the years is the reason I created our special, quiet spot in the first place. So, thank you for spending time with us.
Boedapest
Barendrecht, The Netherlands
“Splendid holiday in tropical surroundings”
Reviewed December 30, 2014 for a stay in December 2014
person found this review helpful

Writing my review, while sitting in the tropical garden of the Firefly guesthouse and listening to the sound of many birds and other animals, I realize that our stay in Bali is one of the most relaxing experiences ever.
The hospitality of the property owner and her staff is more then we expected. At the premisses we enjoy the beautiful nature, the beautiful guesthouse and the nice staff.
Our daily live starts with a delicious breakfast in the middle of the beautiful pond in the garden, Kadek our friend who is serving the breakfast in the morning is very helpful with everything in and outside the house.
Ann, the property owner, was not on Bali during our stay, but she called us to be sure that we are ok! Ann knows a lot of people who are always ready to help.
Our friend Yandira can be asked for his assistance and advice for nice sightseeing tours on the island. Hotwater springs, beautiful temples, botanic gardens, beautiful beaches, jungle treks etc. whatever you ask for you wil get a personal advice and unique excursions for a reasonable price. Or even for free, because the surrounding of the guesthouse is wonderful. If you like the walk or hike you can see the most beautiful ricefields and villages. And following footpaths where only local people make use of.
Ubud town is on walking distance, 30 minutes, via a short cut through the ricefields. To be honest we walked a lot during our stay, and are very enthousiastic about the surroundings of the guesthouse.
Bali is much more then we expected. We listened to the stories of Yandira about the history of Bali and the local religion. We did not realize that the Hindu religion on Bali is such an important part of the daily live. Thousands of temples are spread over the Island. The people do their offerings a few times a day. They are very thankful for the beautiful life and nature.
Our holiday is not over yet. I am sure we will come back to Bali. We can advice the guesthouse to everyone who like nature, peace and beautiful weather in a nice atmostphere.
Tomorrow we are going to see turtles in the wild.
We will post some photos as soon as we are at home.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Relax stay and friendly atmosphere
Liked least: I liked everything
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Jan 1, 2015
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.It makes me feel very happy that you have enjoyed yourselves so much.
It is the aim of myself and my special staff, to provide a wonderful experience. If you ever return, I hope I will be in Bali to meet you.Many thanks.
James E
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“Do anything outside - rest and recuperate inside.”
Reviewed November 14, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

Pondok Ibu Anna is a haven of tranquillity, beautifully designed to harmonise with Balinese tradition and set in a gorgeous small garden. You are looked after so well and so discretely by Kadek, whose breakfast is just right.

Ann Donnan has been in Bali for a couple of decades, speaks the language and has a deep understanding of Balinese culture. She and the drivers who look after her guests have a profound knowledge of Bali, so you can shop, go on a jungle walk, visit up-country or a beach, get a massage, dine out, buy paintings or textiles, confident that you won't be ripped off and sure of a rich experience.

My ten days (third visit by self and/or family) were unforgettable. Property is small so OK for a couple with one child, maybe not more.

Bedding & mattresses
Liked best: Being made to feel I was a friend of the house and of Bali.
Liked least: You do have a 7 minute walk on a narrow path from taxi drop-off to Pondok. But you do have peace!
Traveling group: Solo

Ottawa
Reviewed April 19, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Rugged travelers
Nov 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - much appreciated. My passion is to show guests a different and precious side of Bali.You are welcome any time !
Toronto
Reviewed April 16, 2014 for a stay in April 2013

Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing