“Tranquility - in the thick of it”
Review of Royal Kamuela

Royal Kamuela
Ranked #7 of 556 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Tranquility - in the thick of it”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Royal Kamuela is on the main Monkey Forest road and as you approach the place, you can't believe it could be tranquil and quiet ... but it is. It's set back from the road and each villa is surrounded by lush vegetation. It's complete heaven and a retreat from the bustle of the city whenever you want it. It's modern, utterly functional and luxurious with a hint of Balinese influence - and it is as you see it on the website. My already high expectations were met and more. I would come back to this place, definitely. As a lone traveller, I have been made to feel welcome and I've been left alone when I wanted it - you really do get away from everything here. The help from the staff has been exceptional and valuable; their friendliness is humbling and lovely. Basically, I have been a bit blown away by this place and I can't really recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same, I think - they are private villas and there are only 12 of them.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Karey E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed January 7, 2013

my 21 year daughter and i stayed 6 nights in villa 6..we enjoyed every minute of it. the villa is lovely, service is great, location perfect..if i want to be really picky i can say that the water in the shower was not very strong and the food could be better but all in all hotel was great..free bottled water..coffee..tea..cookies everyday. breakfast in room any time you desire.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I am bewildered as to how people have not given this venue 5 stars on every review! Nothing was too difficult for the staff, our butler was on call 24/7 and the tranquility and styling was beyond what I expected to get in the heart of ubud. While you don't have the views of rice fields of some of the other 5 star establishments the service and quality is of the same level and you step outside this sanctuary into a bustling Mecca. Fabulous!! Can't wait to go back!!

Note we had villa 9. A few people have given it poor reviews ... And while it is near to reception and so you can sometimes hear people speaking, it's by no means prohibitive to relaxation and serenity. Plus it's the easiest villa to access when you're coming home from a few too many cocktails...so definite plus!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank laceywebb
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just been back from our honeymoon in Bali and Malaysia. Did Bali over 10 days. We started with Seminyak then moved to Ubud and lastly to Jimbaran. This property is worth every penny spent. Lovely villas (we stayed in villa 4). HUGE private pools .......they are literally big..... the decor , design of the villa , the bath layout everything was perfect...............the bed too was very comfortable...........the villas look fresh. With two of the walls made of glass u can directly get views of the pool from ur bed. The tv too was big with a dvd player......lovely breakfast spread.
The best thing about this property is its workforce.........Great people WIWIT, SUTAWAN, ANNIE , forgetting some names sorry.......all wonderful.......no issues with bfast timings u can get it in ur villa or their restaurant at ur convenience........villas offer free afternoon teas as well which we hardly used........
The villas are located close to monkey forest, the market and good restaurants ........yes but ubud unlike seminyak shuts early almost by 11:00pm........but i would certainly recommend 2 to 3 nights in Ubudfor people who want some quiet. for restaurants i would be writing separate reviews for Bebik Bengil , Cinta Grill , Paon........

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stunning villa with artistic touches, massive pool, super private, gorgeous bathroom and the best part.... The bed is like sleeping on a fragrant cloud. The villa layout is clever with all the mod cons, decent wifi connection, big TV and heaps of cable channels. Staff are attentive but discreet, check in and out was smooth and breakfast is always served on time. A very convenient location on monkey forest road, easy access to shops, restaurants, spas, the monkey forest and markets.

My husband and I were in villa 9 and, it's true, you do get some noise from the reception, but it didn't bother us that much, we were out and about most of the time anyway. If this isn't 5 star, i must be very ignorant, because it lived up to all my expectations and I am notoriously fussy. If you don't like bugs, geckos, frogs or monkeys, either don't holiday in Asia or stay in a sanitised high rise BUT you will miss out if you don't try this place.

Room Tip: If you're finicky about noise, avoid villa 9. Also, see if you can get one with a bale, we didn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

After having quite a negative experience at another property where I had been for a week, I got online and found Royal Kamuela, Ubud.

As soon as I walked in, it was like my holiday officially had begun.

Its right in the centre of ubud next to monkey forest, and just tucked down of monkey forrest road, its actually very peaceful and quite serene.

Greeted with warmth and smiles and a level of customer service I had been craving, I was given a cold face washer to refresh, and as soon as I put that to my face my worries all melted away.

I was promptly shown to my gorgeous villa, walking in, theres a big open plan living area with microwave, kettle, fridge, couch, dining table, a lovely private pool surrounded by greenery with two very comfortable deck chairs.

The bedroom is decadent, bed is like sleeping on clouds, huge plasma flat screen tv, and all the plugs are multi adapters, so no matter where you are from you can plug your laptop, phone, ipod etc to charge. The bedroom overlooks the pool and at night you get a bit or a treat when monkeys run long the fence line.

The bathroom is also quite opulent, huge double bath tub, double basins, and a shower with two shower heads. There is also entrance to the pool from the bath room.

Breakfast is included and the menu is quite extensive and you can choose what time you want it delivered to your villa, you arent restricted to specific times. Or alternatively you can eat breakfast in the restaurant if you so desire.

My words in no way do this place justice. I would also put more photos up, but TA is only allowing me to put up 3.

I have not left the villa since I arrived yesterday afternoon. Its just too relaxing and comfortable.

The only thing that could make this experience any better was if my partner was here to share this beautiful place.

If you are planning on venturing to make it to Ubud, definitely do yourself a favor and stay at Royal Kamuela, especially if you are coming with a special someone :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank C P M
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I can't recommend this hotel enough. Staff were SO friendly and helpful. Received welcome drink and free 15 minute foot massage. Villa was spotless and spacious. Breakfast and complimentary afternoon tea served by our own butler, who also came each night to turn down the bed and close curtains etc. Complimentary private car was always available for travel and pick ups in Ubud area. My husband celebrated his birthday whilst there and without any organising by myself, the butlers presented him with a cake at breakfast on the morning of his birthday and sang happy birthday. Such a personal touch, they must have realised his birthday from his passport. The only negative I had was there was no water pressure in the shower, but have had this before in other hotels in Ubud. We will definitely be returning and look forward to seeing the smiling faces of the lovely Annie and her staff.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple