“Excellent Atmosphere/Overpriced Wine”

Swept Away at The Samaya Ubud
Ranked #5 of 820 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Swept Away Restaurant offers Special Romantic Hundred Candle Light Dinner where the guests can enjoy a truly unique dining experience with the sound of natures by the Ayung River. Executive Chef, I Nyoman Wiratma has emulated his successful style with more than 10-year experience in fine dining, serving an array of modern and eclectic dishes with maintaining a strong focus on local produce and authentic flavors will pamper you.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was the #1 restaurant I was looking forward to going to in Bali. Absolutely beautiful! My husband and I had a great time. We got there around 5:45-right before it was dark and got some great pictures. I definitely recommend getting there early in the evening so you can see the rice paddies and river while still daylight.

Excellent meal! (Duo of beef foie gras, grilled snapper with eel) Very romantic. The only reason why this place doesn't get a 5 is because the wine/cocktails are overpriced. We ate at many other nice restaurants, including Bridges-which was our favorite, and the wines/cocktails were not overpriced. I don't understand why they have a statement at the front of their drink list stating that they "unfortunately" have to charge a higher fee. I think Swept Away needs to check out their competition because lower prices ARE available in Ubud, Bali.

1  Thank LindseyH56
Write a ReviewReviews (1,503)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We ate solely from the Balinese menu and were never disappointed with the superb tasting meals we ate. The quality did not alter, the food was fresh, the flavors memorable, beautifully presented and the quantity of food was perfect.
We chose to eat here more often than dining in other restaurants although more expensive we were guaranteed a delicious meal and the staff were so attentive with excellent service. A peaceful setting which was greatly appreciated at the end of a day of adventuring.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had discovered Swept Away on TripAdvisor and emailed the restaurant the day before we left home to enquire about making a reservation for a romantic dinner with my husband (something we don't often get to do with three young children). I promptly received an email in reply attaching the fixed and a la carte menus and confirming the booking. The concierge of our hotel in Ubud telephoned the restaurant on my behalf that morning to confirm the reservation and to request we have the fixed menu "Romantic Candelight Dinner". As per the TripAdvisor recommendations I asked the concierge to request a table near the river. I was told that we had been reserved a table close to the river. I had read about the ride down to the restaurant on the golf cart and it certainly made for a fun start to the night. I looked across at the tables on the decking near the river wondering which one was ours, but instead we were escorted to a grass area right next to the river that had been set with a candelit table for two, surrounded by rose petals in the shape of a heart. It looked amazing. We were treated like royalty by the staff. We ordered a white wine from Chile which was expensive at IDR680,000, but not unusual for Bali with its excessive taxes on wine. The food was divine. Each dish was presented beautifully and tasted amazing. Including tip, the night cost us IDR3,000,000 which is certainly not cheap, but compared to what an experience like that would cost in Australia it was really not unreasonable. It certainly was a memorable occasion on our holiday.

1  Thank carswellclan
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I hate writing negative reviews but we just felt it did not offer the quality that we would have expected for the price.

The setting is lovely, close to a river, however I would not go alone for this as in Bali excellent settings are ten a penny. We went for the 6 course menu. At about 55 pounds per person including tax and service expectations are high. There was nothing wrong with the food it just did not live up to the expectations of previous reviews, some courses were quite forgettable, with the exception of he Wagu which was good, but no more than that. I think he entire meal came to about 150 pounds (it was more than 2 million IDR) we had one cocktail each and 2 small beers each.

The staff were very good and friendly and from them we could not have asked for more.

In short a lovely evening but we left feeling we should have had a level higher in the kitchen department.

2  Thank ajd01
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The place is amazing and should be listed one of the beautiful place in the world. Had a surprise b'day for my wife here and it turn out to be the best b'day in her life so far and it made her more special bcos of the staffs. We can find beautiful places in the world but not easy to find respectful and friendly staffs but Balinese have always been like that. Great service, beautiful atmosphere and delicious food. Thank you guys!

Been to Swept Away at The Samaya Ubud? Share your experiences!