Open today: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Book in advance
from
$50.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Lobong Culinary Experience
from $50.00
More Info
All reviews family compound local market cooking class balinese culture local ingredients highlight of our trip balinese home bali trip dishes indonesia
Selected filters
Reviewed December 8, 2018

I don't know what to say that hasn't been stated by others. Like other reviewers, I've taken cooking classes all over the world. This is my favorite. I won't repeat what others said only to emphasize that you will not struggle a bit to understand their English. Also, I don't think it was a fluke that the group of us, eight I think, enjoyed each other's company. I think it's a mixture of the hosts, the cook, and the fact that people taking the tour are also interested in the Balinese culture, not just the food. Do not miss this.

2  Thank engphile
Reviewed November 23, 2018 via mobile

This is hands down one of the best excursions I’ve done in all my travels. Starting with a market tour, we explored a local market far from the tourist areas where we learned about daily life and local ingredients. Arriving at the family property we learned about how Balinese traditional properties are organized, had a welcome tea and snack and then began cooking. We learned about techniques, ingredients and recipes. We chopped, stirred and cooked the entire meal under the supervision and assistance of the family. Before sitting down to eat the meal, we took part in a traditional offering ceremony in the family temple donning traditional sarong.

If you like to cook, eat or just want to learn about daily life behind the walls of a family property, then this is the tour for you

1  Thank Aimee E
Reviewed November 23, 2018 via mobile

You are met at the local market (note: not tourist market) by your host and are taken through the stalls stopping at some of the local delicacies, including some of which you will use in your cooking.

You then head back to their stunning family compound, which will host your class, and are offered refreshments. Here, your host will chat to you about typical life in Bali.

Then onto the cooking in the covered outside kitchen. The chef greets you with a big smile and quickly gets onto showing you your raw ingredients. The next hour or so you'll be shown how to cook a delicious traditional meal from scratch. I'm not a lover of cooking but enjoyed every minute. We were in a group of 8 with 3 being vegan and 2 requesting no spice and the hosts were very accommodating to our needs.

Later, you sit down in your group to eat your meal with your selection of refreshments amongst the birdsong and luscious grounds.

Overall, I would highly recommend cooking with this beautiful family in their beautiful home in Ubud.

1  Thank G8483YXadamt
Reviewed November 19, 2018

We did the Lobong Culinary experience our final day in Bali, but my wife and I both regretted that we didn't do it our first day, as our hosts provided a wonderful introduction to not only Balinese cooking, but also a fascinating exploration of Balinese culture and family dwellings. We started the day in the village market, with no other Westerners in sight. Our guide took us to sample some of the fascinating Balinese fruits (snakeskin fruit, mangosteens, etc.) and to see how some of the ingredients and spices we would be using are sold. Next, we ventured to the beautiful Lobong family compound (very close to the Mandapa hotel), which was full of traditional structures, serene gardens and fountains, and a fully operational outdoor kitchen. It was a very hands-on class, with chopping and cooking all done by the students under the masterful instruction of our head chef. The family spoke terrific English and really helped explain the meaning of many of the special foods we prepared, and they highlighted the role that food plays in Balinese worship and family. Our guide's mother conducted a temple offering using some of our food, which was a very special ceremony to witness. The food itself was spectacular, certainly one of the best Balinese meals we enjoyed. It certainly provided a sense of appreciation for the enormous work that underpins the preparation of Balinese food, and gave us a new appreciation for the complexity of this cuisine. It was a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. My only minor criticism is that the kitchen could benefit from some more overhead fans, as during the rainy season the humidity in the open air kitchen could be quite oppressive (I felt like I was sweating buckets--thankfully there were many wash-up sinks nearby).

Reviewed November 16, 2018 via mobile

Oh my gosh. What can I say except WOW!! We LOVED this! What an experience, we were educated, feed and experienced the friendly Bali people. I am lost for words. The food was delicious, great vegan and vegetarian options. So greatful to the Lobong family.