“Not great but not bad”

Ranked #148 of 575 Ubud B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Not great but not bad”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The staff made all the difference during my stay, they were great. I was in room 1 which is within 10-12 meters of the entrance to the hotel. The place has an awesome feel to it but I do wish I had a better room with thicker curtains, which wouldn't leave me wondering if people could see through the shades at night. I could hear voices from the adjoining room but ear-plus always helped. The bed was good, I slept well but I used my own sheets over what they provided because there was a lingering smell of sweat. There is a fan, an extension, lamps and a glass table, also a chair and table to sit right outside the room. You can get towels after paying a deposit of 50,000 (about USD5).
The food is great, although you will find cheaper alternatives just outside. You can buy water at half the price that they sell at the hotel from a nearby mart. Breakfast is not provided. The rooms are cleaned everyday.
It is safe, and the location is strategic. The staff can help you plan your trip or help arrange transportation for you. It seems that the crowd at the hotel are mainly backpackers, young travelers (solo and in groups) and couples.
The garden and common areas are cool, great way to meet fellow travelers. I probably won't stay here again because I found cheaper alternatives in ok locations which provide breakfast and general amenities like an electric kettle in the room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Philippines
Reviewed March 6, 2014

There was a problem with the booking and coordination, but it was properly addressed by the Dutch owner and manager so I don't think it should be taken as a big issue against the hotel. Nevertheless, I'm mentioning that hear as a feedback so it may be avoided in the future. It would be wise to get in touch with them before checking in just to make sure things are in order.

We used room 2 (up and down apartment style) and room 10 (family room). We used this as our base for 3 days while exploring Ubud, Gianyar, Pakerisan, Mengwi, and Kintamani.

The location is near the Blanco Museum, some walking distance to the Ubud Palace (where we watched the Cultural Show) and central Ubud, as well as a short walk away from Sari Organik Restaurant. Location is ideal as you still get some quiet evening within the hotel. There is no AC in the rooms, but it wasn't that warm either when we stayed there.

At very reasonable prices, the hotel receives a lot of Western backpackers. Socializing and mingling with other travelers within the compounds is very easy! The hotel is nice and I don't mind spending my whole day there if i want to lazy off. Friendly staff and good service does not disappoint. I can't forget my first morning there as I saw my first experience in seeing Balinese women delivering offerings before several shrines inside the hotel.

Comments for improvement: some of the pillows smell, and the toilet needs some scrubbing.

Nevertheless, given the value for money in this hotel, i would still recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 2 is nice, can fit 4 people.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed here for a few nights. The hotel has a good location and friendly service, but the rooms are not as clean as I would have hoped. Especially the bathroom was filthy. The rooms are big and there is a good bed, and we even had our own balcony. They have wifi which worked in the rooms too. We had breakfast here once, and it took 45 mins to complete three orders, and we ended up getting something else than we ordered. The garden is beautiful! All in all, mixed feelings about this place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This place is one of the most beautiful places I have every stayed in. The moment I stepped in the gate there was lush greenery and gazebos and hammocks to hang out in as well as an inviting lobby where everyone can just hang out and chill.

Since there was 4 of us we decided to take the 2 level family apartment which was HUGE. If you have sleeping bags to spare 8 people could sleep there easily. The downside is there's only one bathroom. So we took turns going to the toilet next to the lobby.

The bathroom was also problematic in terms of inconsistent hot water as well as drainage being severely blocked. Whenever one of us took the shower the other 3 people had to endure showering in ankle deep water. Despite telling the management of this problem there was not much that they could do at the time.

Another small issue was the wifi which was a little inconsistent in the rooms but that can be fixed by going to the lobby where you'll meet people from all over the world. Way better than socialising through the internet.

The staff was super helpful especially the owner Ari. He was very welcoming and helped arrange a car for us to return to Kuta at a much cheaper price than the taxis service in the streets.

Location wise however is excellent. It's really close to the center and is walking distance to the city center, Ubud Palace and Ubud market. It also directly behind a clinic just in case of a medical emergency. And if you're looking for cultural performances don't look to far as the Pura Dalem Ubud is right across the street and has different performances every night.

All in all I would definitely return here but hopefully by the time I return they have resolved all maintenance issues.

Room Tip: If you want to mingle with the other travellers get the dorm rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2014

In Da Lodge was by far one of the best places we've stayed in all of South East Asia. The "rooms" were big enough to fit 4 comfortably and felt more like a mini house than "just a room." Our room had 3 rooms, hot water, a kitchen, and a balcony outside. Also, at the price we paid, it was practically a steal! The couple that owns it is fantastic and very down to earth! Feel free to sit down with them and you're in for a great talk!

The location was also great. It was walking distance to many shops and this fantastic hookah bar. Also, the people who worked here were able to book Scooter rentals if needed so you can explore around. It was great! However, sometimes you didn't need to since they offered amazing (and cheap) food and just a great atmosphere to relax since it was so calm and quiet.

Maybe the best part of the trip was one of the staff members. Salwa was my mother away from home. She took exceptional care of my friends and I. We could always come to her if we had a problem! I even got over charged by some cops for being a tourist and Salwa immediately went back with me and got all my money back! It was fantastic! Make sure you don't get on her bad side. She also has the cutest kid of all time. Also known as the destroyer since he's mischievous! On top of that, she cooks great meals! She's an all star in every aspect. I would definitely stay at In Da Lodge again just to hang out with Salwa!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Heeze, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This hotel is good!

We had a ground floor family room with connecting door (room 10).
It's very good located! Opposite the hotel starts a trekking (starts at Ibah hotel) and next street you can start walking to the ricefields (towards Sari Organic).

Really a good place if you want to be centrally located, but quiet and the perfect start for the beautiful nature around you.

Oh.. and the beds are good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I booked a family room for 4 in Nov for my family trip. It is a double storey apartment with 2 beds (1 single and one super single) on the ground floor and a double bed on the second floor. There is a sofa and shelves full of books. No AC but ceiling fans and additional fan is enough. Very cold at night too. This is definitely not comparable to those hotels and villas where you stay in to enjoy the facilities. It was only a place for our five nights' sleep considering we were out the whole day for activities. I see that the conditions of the single-storey rooms are better, with a table and chairs outside for dining. Toilet is very spacious, water pressure is fantastic with hot water supply. However, sometimes the water from bathing does choke up a little and the tap can be hard to use. Near to Ubud market and Circle K (convenient store is just outside). Receptionist is very friendly and helps us whenever we needed help. They even help us call for a Spa we have chosen ourselves for free pick-up. Mee goreng is nice at only 25000rp.

Room Tip: Family unit tends to be more run-down. If travelling in groups of 4, choosing 2 twin room would be b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family