“The best hotel we have stayed in.”
Review of In Da Lodge

In Da Lodge
Ranked #144 of 666 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We recieved a warm welcome on check in and things just got better. The staff were so helpful and their understanding of English excellent. Any problems were sorted out quickly - our hot water didn't work but only because the sticker was on the wrong way on the mixer! It was great for us as animal lovers that the wildlife is allowed to exist in harmony with the hotel you can sit at night and watch the geckos eating the flies around the lights or frogs hopping from one pond to another, if you are lucky like we were you can see some fireflies, we even had oone come in the room and every time we let it out it came back in, so we were treated to a light show in our room.

The hotel now has new owners who are great hosts and the manager Sawa is always smiling. They will arrange any excursions or trips you want to go one even at short notice. I would recommend picking up leaflets from along the street then asking sawa to arrange it for you. We had the same driver Agung throughout our stay and he was great. The advantage of this I found out one day when I lost my purse and it turned out to be in his car. Agung brought it back within 15mins and with everything still in it.

The food was amazing both Sawa and Arri (hope I've spelt his name right) cook and produce the best tasting food, especially Sawa's pumpkin soup, that was incredible.

We were originally booked in for 6 nights, but after a terrible experience in Sanur we rang Sawa and she arranged for us to come back and sent Agung to come and get us. 1 hour after contacting her Agung arrived and our rooms were waiting for us.

I really don't think I could put into words how good this place is, the people we met and chatted to round the bar were fab. I can honestly say that we arrived as strangers and left as friends.

If you want a guesthouse just for a base then this place is great but to get the best out of the place spend some evenings at the bar and you will discover the real In Da Lodge experience.

Thank you so much for making our holiday so special, we can't wait to come back and see you all again. I hope Esmerelda is ok.

Room Tip: we had rooms 2 and 12 room 12 is a 1 bedroom villa but has a connecting door to both room 2 and 3 so...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Carrie I

Reviewed June 6, 2013

In Da Lodge comprises villas and suites and is well situated very little traffic and street noise. My suite had a bedroom, dressing room, study/lounge area and bathroom and a balcony area, very good value. It was good here next to the rice paddies and bird sounds. It’s close to everything. Rooms are not luxurious, have no air conditioning, but have a fan and free internet. There are two new very friendly and helpful Dutch owners. The previous owner who sold about four months ago left the Lodge a bit run down and the new owners are bringing the beautiful Balinese buildings back to their full potential. The gardens are really lovely. I stayed about four weeks and I felt, comfortable and safe, and the place had a good feel about it. You can have good, inexpensive meals, and the owner, who is a chef, will make supper for you. The staff are really great and helpful. The Lodge is not presently up to its full potential, but the new owners assure me it soon will be. Would I stay there again – you can bet I will!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank cybermoggy
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed here in August 2012 and I don't understand how this place has got so many good reviews. I found the Dutch owner to be mean. He did not engage in conversation with us and everything seemed to be a chore. The other staff were lovely but he came accross as nasty (I say came accross because other people staying there said how lovely he was so I really do not understand it).

We asked him about boats to the Gili islands and he quoted us a price which was three times what we got quoted at the travel agent accross the road (the price the travel agent quoted also included a taxi to Denpasar). He also tried to pressure us into booking it saying that it needed to be booked by that night or else we would not get a place. When we told him we had booked elsewhere he was even more unfriendly towards us.

The other nasty thing he did was when we got the scooter. I asked him for a map and he just said 'follow the road'. He did not give us any tips on places to see or give us any advice. Anyone who has been to Ubud knows that if you are on a scooter the last thing you do is follow the road as the side streets/roads off the main road are where you see the real gems.

To be honest it was to our advantage that he was unfriendly as we spent as little time as possible in the hotel and saw a lot of Ubud. The place is very basic which to me is not a problem if the owner makes you feel welcome but unfortunately he did not.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jfogarty
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights in December. The location was quite good, and the service friendly. There are many, many guest houses in Ubud. Even during high season- you can easily find a room cheaper than this place in the city center. However, the rooms at in day lodge are incredibly spacious, so I could imagine this would be a good budget choice for a family. Next time if I were traveling through, I'd probably just walk around town and find a different, cheaper place though, since I really don't require all that space.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is a great place to stay. Only thing lacking is aircon, but you do get a fan. a series of 12 or so little single story villas with a large bedroom and a bathroom / shower to the rear. lovely gardens, very helpful staff, and Yan will give you all the hints and tips he can to make your bali experiance even better. Its also very conveniently located for the main street in Ubud and very cheap. an excellent choice for the budget traveler. if you pick a place near the rice paddy though, the frogs and the cockerels make a right din!

Room Tip: go for a high number unless you are used to the very loud Balinese frogs!
Reviewed January 24, 2013

In Da Lodge is back off of Ubud’s busy streets. It’s a haven of peace and quiet, and seems to be loved by a good bit of birdlife, butterflies, dragonflies, toads and geckoes. I had room #6 which was quite adequate for my needs with one double bed. There was a floor fan available but there was also a good deal of breeze coming through the tops of the coconut palms onto the room’s terrace. This room had its own bathroom and the shower water was always as hot as I wanted it. I could easily walk to museums and restaurants, exploring down side streets in search of the best breakfast, lunch or dinner. If I really needed a special coffee concoction Starbucks was nearby. The lodge is owned and run by Jan, a tall, friendly Dutchman who can fill you in on what to do and where to go in Ubud. Everybody on the In Da Lodge staff was super helpful and friendly. I could see rice fields from my terrace perch. In the evenings the lodge would be treated to live gamelan music from next door. There was a temple conveniently across the street where the Kecak and a fire dance were performed on Tuesday and Friday evenings. For the most part the WiFi worked well with only a couple of days when it was sporadic. I stayed at In Da Lodge for a week. I would stay there again if I returned to Ubud. Great value. Peace and quiet.

Room Tip: try Kopi Bisma (nearby) for excellent breakfast, get off the main drag on to the side streets for be...
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Price quality well balanced. The place is outside bustling downtown, on a hill top, which grants it its own microclimate, cooler than in the city center. The apartments are very nice, clean, but it is still in the budget category. Internet is not working in the 1st apartment since it is farther from the router at the reception counter.

PS. Rooster alarm goes on in the morning :)

Room Tip: If internet in your room is important, then choose a room closer to the check in counter.