“Gorgeous, we loved it”

Dara Ayu Villas & Spa
Ranked #83 of 526 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
“Gorgeous, we loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. The buildings are architecturally designed, only 4 years old and really classy. The natural setting surrounding the buildings is truly divine and the buildings maximise on the gorgeous view. The photos do not come close to showing just how beautiful everything is. It was such a lovely setting we didn't want to leave it, and basically sat around soaking it in and swimming for two days - I think this is the kind of place you go to do this, but if you're wanting to get to Ubud during the day, it's not convenient and the trip in can be expensive. Having said that, the other guests were travelling in to Ubud, so maybe it's not really a big deal, but we chose not to leave. It's really quite isolated, so don't be concerned when it takes you a long way from Ubud - the drive there was gorgeous, it's a beautiful part of the world. The food is not up to the same standard as the the hotel itself, but we actually didn't mind because there is nowhere else to eat, so at least we were paying reasonable prices for home style cooked food rather than extortionate prices for fancy food. We enjoyed everything we ate. The service was nice, not perfect or over the top, not bad either, just friendly. Our bathroom was a gorgeous outside bathroom in a sculpted garden which I found super charming until I saw someone hiding in the garden watching me shower - could be less diligent with the gardening here and leave less gaps perhaps? I didn't let it bother me, I just thought the person was a jerk, but still it blemished the sense of isolation and beauty the bathroom was set up to achieve. The gardens and scenery really blew me away and it was a great experience. You're close to nature, so you'll see frogs, bugs and fireflies at night, we loved it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Powertrip72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Dara ayu is definitely set up in a scenic spot and the overall look is beautiful. Also, the staff present is most friendly, helpful and always smilling... But the goodness of the place ends here.

One likes to be in nature... But it is slightly different when the nature comes into your room.

We had booked a villa and a normal room. The normal room first allotted had an AC that did not work. The sink was chocked an there were bugs all around. The villa had a so called private pool that was more like an outdoor bathtub. And man was it dirty. The sheets were unclean and the room was full of bugs.

But the man on the ground (I forget his name now) was definetly helpful and sweet to help us change the rooms. So what do we do, we downgrade to the rooms in the main block, from our villa. I make a request to the management to kindly refund or offset the difference in price of villa and the normal room. However, this leads to some rude and unfotunate email exchanges.

Next day one of the owner (as he called himself) shows up and says there was a misfortunate misunderstanding and that he will upgrade us to the best villa in the place. Good. We say we are leaving for site-seeing please have our luggage moved. We came back slightly early in the evening but thankfully we had been shifted. Now, in the new villa, the sink is choked, wifi doesnt work and the lights are running at a voltage that makes them glow less than a candle. We immidiately say that the normal rooms are better so please can we stay there itself. Again the staff is so polite and nice they help us to move.

I again write to the so called owner (the second guy who came in the morning) to state that we were dis appointed with the condition of the villa (even though your staff is extremely polite and helpful). Having paid the money for a villa not having spent a single night there i request for a adjustment of price difference in my food bill. However, another set of rude email exchange follows and no price is eventually adjusted. In fact i am told that the owner is so rich that he can let us stay there for free but will not allow it because i was rude. I ask him to ask his staff if i was rude and no reply. I gues the reason for the rudeness of the so called owner was that he was told off by the real investor, who copied me in an email by mistake when he was saying he was unhappy how the proprty was being run.

In any event, as i said the staff is great but the property is not well maintained. Do venture if u like the nature in your room, your sinks choked, and poor or no connectivity on wifi.

Lastly, the food is strictly okay and since it is prepared there by locals on a normal two burner stove (no great culinary chefs or equipment here) only the last dish you order will be served hot. Because each dish is cooked at a time and the first dish cooked is bound to go cold by the time the last dish is prepared.

P.s. I am not naming the people here to still be a lil nice to them. Also others may have had a different experience but this experience is true and genuine. We were the only family at the property when we visited.

Room Tip: Go for the normal two rooms in the main block. Dont shell out for the villas. Not worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Akshay2505
daraayu, Owner at Dara Ayu Villas & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Clearly Mr Akshay did not have an enjoyable time at Dara Ayu and we regret that. We are the owners/investors of Dara Ayu Villas & Spa and contrary to his note, we have no problems with the management of the villas – Mr Akshay was liasing with the property management General Manager. We always strive to make Dara Ayu a memorable holiday occasion for our guests.
Investigation of his complaints revealed the following:
• Upon hearing the complaint, our manager immediately offered an upgrade but this offer was declined as Mr Akshay preferred a deluxe room (without pool) and then asked for a refund or offset to his food bills of the price difference between the villa he booked and the deluxe room.
• In total, 2 deluxe rooms plus a 2 bedroom villa were prepared in addition to the villa and room Mr Akshay booked, all these were done in an attempt to rectify the situation. The email exchanges on the General Manager’s part whilst it showed his frustration was very much regreted.
• We accept there were several small insects in the room and we are further reviewing our pest control services to reduce this nuisance. However in the natural lush environment at Dara Ayu this is an ongoing challenge.
• Due to our location, as a result of storm activity (as on the day of his stay) from time to time, we experience wifi downtime from the internet service provider.
• We have a heavy duty voltage regulator installed to ensure steady 220 volt supply at all time and do not accept the lights were “running at a voltage that makes them glow less than a candle.”
• Further investigations on sink blockages, our staff cannot substantiate these claims.
• With respect to his disparaging remarks regarding the private pool “ as being an outdoor bathtub”….. the private pools for the three villas with this facility are designed as small plunge pools to provide an intimate relaxation with stunning views over the rice paddies below as shown on our website – www.daraayuvillas.com
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I had a great time at Dara Ayu, the staff were wonderful and the team co-ordinator, Adi is extremely hospitable and helpful. The villa is situated a little out of the way but if you rent a motor bike, transport is not an issue at all. I have to say, the pictures on the website do not do them justice and the villa is way more impressive than it appears on the site.

Room Tip: Rent a motorbike!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

First impression is really beautiful..and the staff are helpful
But too many facilities are not available,I can't even connect the wifi! Can't find any restaurant nearby,the food of hotel are taste less and pricely ,the shuffle service to the ubud down town are way too expensive,but stay at hotel are nothing to do,so we got no choice,so we willing to paid the money get off here
I was while waiting my dinner at a movie room 1st night ,but suddenly have a voles run into the room,i been shock for awhile!!i have left the note when I book the villas at agoda,the day is my husband birthdays,and we are going for honey moon,the manager did help a lot ,which I appreciated
Not aircon at room
And not microwave,not refrigerator in the room
Lack of lighting,kinda scarely
Cause we when get out the hotel have see a snake,and when we back around 9pm,is really too dark,the security used spot light to help us back into villas
The staff are helpful,but they can do nothing actually
I will not come back again
Too many facilities are visible,is boring up there

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Geogie87
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Dara Ayu embodies the peace, tranquility and sanctuary of the Balinese mountains. Well away from the hussle and bussle of Ubud this property provides a little bit of luxury with a lot of heart and soul. The team at Dara Ayu went out of their way to make my stay as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. Set amoungst beautiful winding paths and watergardens with the jungle and rice terraces for a back-drop Dara Ayu is like exhaling a long deep breath. I cannot recommend the Village Hike highly enough, Tikka was a very fantastic host and guide. Have a massage, relax by the pool, use it as a base to explore the surrounding mountainside. Tikka arranged to take me to Ubud and to a number of galleries which were excellent. The food is good and quickly prepared, some of the produce comes directly from the Dara Ayu gardens. The rice terrace surrounding the property is a working concern with inhabitants throughout the surrounding jungle - very easy to lose a couple of hours just watching the comings and goings of daily life. This is a property I would definitely return to. Oh and the beds - by which I judge all hotels - were just heavenly.

Room Tip: The suite with the plunge pool is, I think, the pick of the rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kts17
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Passing through the wooden gates at the entrance to this property is to leave the busy bustling Bali behind and to enter another world.

There is a long path winding down the beatifully landscaped hillside to the main building, and while negotiating the stepping stones, every sense is engaged . An impression of moving from the material world to a better place is heightened by the sound of waterfalls, the colour of tropical flowers, the fresh smell of clean mountain air. This is further heightened by the body awareness needed to negotiate the path despite the distraction of impeccably authentic landscaping, numerous meditation spaces and Balinese statues nestled into various spaces.

As you enter the main building, the enormity of the full panorama of a secluded valley of rice paddies and tropical jungle is revealed. Lush green beautifully contoured paddies, fruit trees, and meandering paths begging to be explored and followed all the way down to the river at the very bottom of the valley.

The day prior to our arrival, my husband came down with the dreaded Bali belly and was unable to explore, however our room opened out to an unsurpassed view over the valley to the distant mountains, and if he had to be laid up, at least he could feast his eyes.

I spent my time swimming in the pool, doing yoga in the gym, walking all around, absorbing the atmosphere and trying to store the sheer pleasure of being in such a place in my mind to carry home with me. The owners, Dave and Klara were obviosly very proud of what they had built and the staff, all from the local village, whilst a little unsure of western tastes in service, seemed to take real pleasure in making our stay a happy one.

For a time of peace and rejuvenation there could be no more perfect place.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a "best" room. They're all just great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil W
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

If you are searching for a place that provides serenity and tranquility, Dara Ayu is the place to be. Located far away from the hectic city nothing can go wrong.

Upon arrival we were surprised to see the location of the villa and I was preparing for the worst. However when we get to our rooms I was stunned by the amazing view. Green everywhere, certainly a beautiful sight and I can't get enough.

Their staff are helpful and even more importantly, friendly. I was being told that their philosophy is "staff and customers are family". If there's things that I would like them to fix are, their internet connection and channels available on the television.

Internet connection seems not to be working while some channels on the television seems no longer available. But with such beautiful sight who would need those?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank rashidi-zin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Senetan Villas & Spa Resort
Ubud Dedari Villas
#42 of 526 in Ubud
Green View Private Villas
Bidadari Private Villas & Retreat

Been to Dara Ayu Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!