“Total Disappointment and what a hassle....”

Bucu View Bungalows
Ranked #63 of 536 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Bangkok, Thailand
“Total Disappointment and what a hassle....”
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I booked into Bucu View for a long weekend, having only seen their website. For a start, the location is not central in Ubud, with quite a long walk up Jl. Bisma to their entrance, and then perhaps another 200 metres down and up their entrance drive. This make things rather inconvenient during rainy season when you need to just go out for some dinner and it's pouring rain.

This sort of leads into their website and the misrepresentations I encountered. For a start, the site says that there is a "snack cafe", which certainly would have helped when it was raining and it's a long walk to Ubud. I asked about some food and was told there was no food service apart from bread and eggs for breakfast.

Their site also also specifies wifi, which there is, but the signal is not present in the room I was in. Maybe not a big deal for some, but sadly I had to get some work done.

I was booked into a "deluxe room" which the website states includes a mini-bar. Wrong again...there was no mini-bar, fridge, or even glasses in the room. When I enquired with the staff, they told me there was supposed to be a fridge, but it was broken. There was also not even a bottle of water in the room, so I asked for at least a couple of bottles of water and a glass and I was told there would be a charge for that. Mind you, I was paying US$65/night, and they could not even provide complimentary water? Yes, the room did have TV as stated in the website, but it included only about five Indonesian stations.

While perhaps not a huge deal, I thought the rooms were rather spartan, and my room (a downstairs room - there are not bungalows) had no view of any sort. It simply looked out to the vegetation, which isn't bad, but certainly not what I would call a "view". Perhaps I understand now why their website includes very few photos of the rooms.

So considering the lack of facilities that were promoted in their website and a general disappointment with the rooms and value for money (hitting me up to pay for bottled water?), I informed the staff that I would find another place and check out. I hadn't used the room or even unpacked, but when I returned in an hour or so at around 15:00 after having some lunch and finding a new place, I was requested to pay for a half day (US$32). I found that to be the last straw, particularly since they had few guests and had certainly not turned anyone away.

All in all, I found Bucu View to be the most disappointing experience I have ever had in Bali, and that is after more than a dozen trips there. From the misrepresentations in their website to the money-grubbing attitude, I would never recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank tookay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Travelers also viewed these Ubud hotels
Nick's Hidden Cottages
#70 of 536 in Ubud
Tanah Semujan Ubud
Tanah Semujan Ubud
#23 of 536 in Ubud

Been to Bucu View Bungalows? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Bucu View Bungalows

Property: Bucu View Bungalows
Address: Bisma Street, Ubud 80571, Indonesia
Location: Indonesia > Bali > Ubud
Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #63 of 536 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Hotel Class:3 star — Bucu View Bungalows 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Bucu View Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Bucu View Bungalows Ubud, Bali