“Perfection - Organic Living, Blissful Being, Great Accom.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Jiwa Damai Organic Garden & Retreat
Ranked #146 of 597 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Short story - we loved it - we would love to go back soon again - it is the perfect organic and sustainable oasis in the heart of Bali - so it is right for you if you a) seek retreat from the mayhem that is kuta or your busy main city living, b) interested in organic / sustainable living, c) you love nature. Jiwa Damai is not for you if you seek room service, alohol, party.

My husband and I stayed unfortunately only 3 nights at Jiwa Damai. If we would have known how good it is we probably would have amended our itinerary to allow for additional days.

When you arrive at Jiwa Damai you step into a whole new world. Like this bubble of peace and serenity amidst the exciting but sometimes hectic and loud worlds of Bali. Jiwa Damai is actually a permaculture foundation that is teaching the locals about sustainable and organic living as well as educate children in schools about waste management (which is very needed). Plus they have well known names in the field of permaculture visit to teach certification seminars. Anyways, consequence of the retreat being a permaculture foundation, all food you eat there is organically home grown and prepared with love, and tastes absolutely delicious. Plus you get all day herbal teas (like lemongrass, or gingner, or mint, or all three together). Also the breakfast is amazing - try their Nasi Goreng for breakfast I loved it so much I had to eat it every day.

We stayed in one of their Balinese Lumbungs, which is this open, modern, but traditional construction or hut, where your bed is a very comfortable mattrass on the top floor that is encaged in mosquito net (so basically the whole top floor is like your bed). Because everything is open you fall asleep and wake up to the sound of frogs, to the light of the sun the moon the stars, to the sight of trees in front of the big windows. Its like being sheltered amidst nature. Each Lumbung has a really great open air hot water shower (I loved it as it is like a fountain, the water comes out of this frog).

The other great thing about Jiwa Damai is that its care taker and founder is Dr. Margret Reuffler, who also is a well known transpersonal psychologist, who developed the Heartself Intelligence Program, and is available for private sessions or workshops, as well as her publications are available. there. We did one of her introductions to Heartself Intelligence as a couple and had some profound insides that most definitely will shape the next step in our relationship.

Consequently staying in Jiwa Damai is an amazing, tranquil and rejuvenating experience.

Room Tip: if you don't like mosquitos or geckos or the potentially odd spider or if you don't like sta...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I just wrapped up my month's stay at Jiwa Damai retreat center and feel as though I am leaving a completely changed person. The atmosphere was so conducive to really focusing on my personal growth and I learned so much from my hosts and the Balinese staff. I was here as a volunteer over the past month; the schedule was really nice and was respectful of my own personal goals as well as the goals of the center. We met every morning to practice yoga and meditation, sometimes together and when we wished, alone. We had an hour for breakfast and then three hours of making a contribution in our own unique way through both physical and creative work. Our hosts would check-in with us regularly to make sure our needs were being met, which was very unique in comparison to my other volunteering experiences. We then had two hours for lunch and met in the afternoon for two more hours of work and typically did something less labor intensive during this time. We met every night for dinner and the food was just wonderful. I think what I enjoyed most was learning from our hosts and gaining so much insight from them. We also got to attend several local ceremonies, which we would have never seen had we not been volunteering here. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and they recently told us they will be having an internship program soon as well, which I am bummed I will miss. Happy to provide more feedback!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My family and I stayed for a week there and had a peaceful retreat that we enjoyed. The environment takes you away from the typical tourist places and offers a natural and more local feel of Bali. Yet it is less than 30 minutes from Ubud, so you're never too far from the center of attractions, if you feel like going out.

We enjoyed the chats we had with the people we met there, both locals and foreign visitors.

We like Jiwa Damai's approach to the environment by having its own organic garden and by working on plastic waste recycling. We like their social projects in Bali.

It's a peaceful and unique place, not only to stay but to experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Very peaceful and picturesque - perfect for days of meditation (although beware the barking dogs on site!) and the group yoga in the morning is fun.

The food is of a high standard - very fresh and not oily like so many balinese restaurants - I have a couple of food allergies that were catered for (took a few askings - but got there in the end!). Be aware that this is not a cafe/restaurant open all day/night - it offers meals at set times of the day and is a set menu (very delicious I must say).

My friend and I slept very well here - the room was clean and beds large and comfortable.

Just to be clear - the location is out of Ubud - so if you have never been to Ubud town centre then it would be best to stay in a Hotel located there for a few days first or you will feel frustrated by travel in and out of town. You come to Jiwa Damai for a rest and to get away - not so much to explore Ubud. Although you will get to see some beautiful rice fields and a nice local town.

The most beautiful thing about this place is that money you spend here goes to local charities - a declaration that few hotels can match in Ubud.

Happy retreating!

M

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank reviewer101_11
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This property is located about 25 minutes from Ubud. The architecture is minimalist and is essentially two large pavilions set in a lotus pond. Staff is very friendly.

I was scheduled to stay in a “lumbung” - an open air two-story structure with mosquito netting for walls, but it was located on a hill and up a set of stairs, so I stayed in the Frangipani Room next to the spa room and near the pool. It had two beds, a sofa and a nice bathroom. There was also good lighting for reading. The food served is organic (and delicious!) and the vegetable gardens are also organic so there are mosquitoes. Repellent coils are available in the room.

The large pool is wonderful, fed with spring water that is very refreshing.

The center is known for its Yoga programs, but due to a staff illness, it was not available when I was there, but I was compensated with the room upgrade.

Proceeds from the retreat center fund a foundation that helps local children.

If you wish, staff will call a driver to take you to Ubud - cost is 50,000 rupiah (about $6.), but I found it difficult to get a Ubud driver to bring you back for less than 80,000 rupiah (about $9.50) and many of them are not familiar with the property. I had to ask several drivers before I found one who could bring me back to the retreat center. Make sure you take a brochure or card from the center with you if you leave the property.

This is a quiet, relaxing place to stay for a few days if you don’t need to be that close to Ubud.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Esther P
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I had a fabulous weekend here on my own. The retreat is so peaceful and beautiful and the food was the best vegetarian food I had eaten pretty much anywhere. Its a great place to stay if you want to feel in tune with nature, have some quiet or reflective time and relaxation. I took part in the yoga session every morning, walked the local rice fields and enjoyed the wildlife and organic garden. Margret is very nurturting and gently makes sure everyone is enjoying their stay. My room was lovely as was my massage. All in all one of the highlights of my Bali trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank griff20
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Jiwa Damai is a hidden place near Ubud on Bali Island. If you are looking for a gorgeous and peaceful place to stay, you definitely have to stay in this place surrounded by nature.
The high standard rooms (for a reasonable price) are nicely arranged and decorated. And the food ... oh my good ! so delicious and 100% homemade with organic products from the garden. You can't miss it! i'm still dreaming about it!
Jiwa Damai provides retreat seminars. I attempted one of them in December 2010 about "unfolding the heartselfintelligence" which i would recommend to anyone.
I've been there twice. The first time by chance, the second time on purpose. Now i fell in love with that place.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business