Bali Off Course
Review Highlights
Rice field/ jungle/ swing tour

It was an amazing trip through the rice terraces of Bali and through the jungle of ubud with an... read more

Reviewed August 6, 2018
Julia B
via mobile
Excellent day exploring

Wayan took us on a memorable trip to various rice paddys providing us with information along the... read more

Reviewed April 19, 2017
christopherandha2016
Hamilton, Australia

All reviews walking tour rice paddies coffee plantation nasi goreng friendly guide wayan jungle bali ricefields
Reviewed January 17, 2011

This walking tour through some villages of Ubud and surrounds is quite simple. Not too strenuous, but wear some sturdy shoes and be ready for a bit of mud. Your guide, who owns and runs this small business, is friendly and keen for you to learn more about his culture. This walking tour is good, since (unlike the bicycle tours) you are able to ask questions much more easily.

Date of experience: January 2011
1  Thank nutchey
Reviewed December 22, 2010

We had a lovely time with Awan in Ubud. On this day trip we walked through the rice fields, saw farmers harvest the rice, visited a temple preparing for ceremony and so on ! Awan could tell us how people live, word and celebrate on Bali. A very interesting day !!

1  Thank AnnemieKo
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We literally bumped into Wayan, the person who created and runs Bali, Off Course, in the middle of the road while we were wandering around looking for something to do around Ubud. He mentioned his tours, we took a chance on one, and it turned into one of the best things we did in Bali. We learned about daily Balinese life, and particularly about the relationship between culture and religion in Bali, which permeates everything the people do. The tour itself encompassed a visit to a family compound and a village temple, and a walk through the maze of villages and rice terraces that defines the local landscape. The walking was easy and the scenery, village or paddys, was never boring - lots of stops along the way. Not only knowledgable, Wayan has a knack for describing and explaining what we saw matched to our level of interest for each thing. Overall, much better than a bike ride - no motorbikes or potholes to dodge, leaving you the leisure to enjoy the surroundings in the company of a fine interpreter. Wayan's associate drives a car ahead, so there's no backtracking over previous ground. Sneakers are preferred to flip-flops, but the latter can do. No boots necessary. A camera is a must, and carrying a rain jacket, just in case, is a good idea. Water is provided, but always good to carry one's own bottle as well. And at the end, you drive back to Ubud for an included lunch. Sorry to run on, but we really liked this a lot.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

My hubby and me went on this trek with our friendly guide, Wayan. We started the day with a visit to a village family compound and got our blessing from a Brahman priest. Then we are off to walk through the padi field whereby Wayan explained the irrigation system and planting process. We had been on the cycling course before but this is really something different as it is a very closed encounter with nature. Wayan invited us to join his village for a temple festival in the evening and even picked us up at our hotel. We had a very enjoyable time in Ubud and will highly recommended this tour to anyone who will like to escape from the tourist trap. Thanks Wayan for the great experience.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

I really enjoyed my guided walking tour with Wayan.

I gained many insights into the Balinese way of life - especially how the spiritual aspect is ever present and not separate from every day.

I really enjoyed slowing down and taking the time to appreciate what is present in every momment.

It was quite a warm day so Wayan kindly whistled up the breeze for us! I really love the connection to nature and the Balinese way of regarding trees as "Gods" and making offerings to them. This is why you see trees with sarongs wrapped around them Wayan explained.

Wayan is very knowledgeable and helpful and I enjoyed his company.
I also enjoyed having lunch away from the tourist strip of Ubud.

Thanks for adding to my wonderful experience of Bali on my first trip there.

Melissa, Perth, Australia.