“Great budget accommodation in the middle of Ubud!”
Review of Swan Inn

Swan Inn
Ranked #226 of 536 Ubud B&B and Inns
“Great budget accommodation in the middle of Ubud!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Excellent place with very friendly owners. Perfect location to get around in Ubud. It's a great value for money. We stayed there about a month and were very happy with the service. Handy, the owner and his family are very friendly and welcoming so that you feel at home.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had a great time staying at the Swan INN. It was a pretty cheap homestay but it was very nice and well maintained. The people working there were great. I forgot my computer cord adapter and they provided one. We rented scooters from them at a very low price. The scooters were in get condition. All together we a great time staying there. The only downside is it was very loud in the morning. People were walking around and kids were playing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Last year I stayed here for 10 days,the room was basic,with fan and cold water,it's the cheapest room,need more renovation,like its door,can't closed properly,in the toilet,some tiles missing but replaced by plastic sheets,so every morning sun lights comes through these plastic sheets,must close the door,if not,cant sleep well. as a budget traveller,it's ok for me,plus the owner gave me discount ,so no complaints,maybe next time try other room,of course,not the cheapest one.oh,their breakfast is great,like it,especially their pancake,also they has a small garden with a cute pond,charming

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lai S
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Set in lovely gardens the Swan Inn is perfectly located near the market off Monkey Forest Road. Despite being so close to the action ( for Ubud!) it is so quiet.
Nice little stone cottage with hot water and bathroom. Downside is bathroom is always wet as drain not right so room always felt a bit damp as did clothes.
Use of next door swimming pool for a small fee ( it's lovely )
Rooms not serviced during our stay, which is not good.
Overall though for 200k per night, great value.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank johncuk7
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 18, 2011

It located middle of Ubud central which is very convenient, but
remind that you have to walk a bit from the main street
with big suitcase (if you have those), because cars cannot enter
from the street. (maybe there is an another way, I do not know).

There are 2 Bungalows in their big garden and another rooms are
set closed to each other. I stayed in a Bungalow (see the picture).

There are a kitchen with a big refrigerator and a gas stove,
small inside garden through the window you can see beside of a bathtub,
2 double beds are in the main room.

All of interiors could be better, if they choose nice design. They need to
clean the glass of the bathroom, wished to change new basin and other things,
however, you can use them, so just not wish.

In Swan INN, you can encounter 'Normal Balinese life'.
The garden is a route to walk children to go to school and
also they play there after school. I prefer the garden with more trees & plants,
here is so empty, they could make it much lovely, because of Bali.

The breakfast which I chose 'Banana pancake' was very tasty !
The staff attitude was ok, I saw only one person, though.

There are many fantastic hotels in Ubud, but here, the price is cheap and
the location is good, therefore, we may not expect more than that.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Ubud have always been my favourite place. This time I'm traveling with family of 8 so a lot of things have to be taken into consideration (price, noise, comfort, distance to places etc). After scouting few places (including the last place I stayed back in 2009) I resorted to Swan inn, thanks to good reviews from fellow travelers.

We arrived around 12am and were greeted by Handy and his father Pak Swan (yepp, that's his name!). They helped us transporting our huge luggages from the main road. It was pitch black, so we really have no ideas how the place is like. I've booked three rooms, one bungalow across the pond (num 9 i think) and 2 others which was opposite each other. We settled for the night and I'm finger crossing both my mum and grandmum will love it here or else I'll be deadmeat.

Luckily both the ladies were mesmerized by the gardens, landscape settings, the pond and everything else so they had no complaint. I on the other hand, had trouble sleeping on the first night, due to mosquitoes and the rough blanket. The next day onwards, we request for mosquitoes smoke from the owner and throw away the blanket. Overall, we had a very good experience staying at Swan Inn.

Pros:

1. Comparatively cheap rate.
2. Very222 beautiful garden
3. Very good location. 5 minutes to main Monkey Forest road.
4. Choose bungalow number 9 for your own privacy, kitchen, fridge and it can fit 3 people.
5. They allow us to do our own laundry at very minimal cost.
6. Gamelan in the middle of the compound for you to show off your talent!
7. Great breakfasts.
8. Great staffs (karyawan). Don't forget to tip them if they're nice to you.
9. They are okay when we ask for hot water in the middle of the night (for our instant noodles!) but I do not condone this :)

Cons:

1. Bring your own mosquitoes spray
2. Beware of the leech/lizard on the toilet walls. They get around during rainy season
3. No swimming pool but you can use one in Okawati for 25,000 (daily usage). No biggie.
4. Toilets need to be refurbished.
5. I guess I couldn't say much in this section. I certainly had a lovely stay.

Enjoy your stay future travelers! I know I did :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Bangkok
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Cheat on booking - Dirty

I have spent a big lot of time to find an hotel or a guest house to book in Ubud. Then, after I have read the good reviews on Tripadvisor, I have written to Swan Inn to book the bungalow number 7 for 8 nights.

After some emails, I have received one confirming my booking for 25 september. I have answered to confirm the confirmation. So everything was ok.

Then on 26 september, on the evening, I have received a new email saying my phone number was necessary for reservation certainty...

What do you think about somebody who says your reservation is confirmed, never asked for your phone number before, then, 24 hours later ask your phone number to confirm the already confirmed reservation ?

I have sent my phone number, saying I didn't understand why they ask for it only now and I have received an answer saying my phone number was not important.

So, on 26 september I arrived to Swan Inn. When I said I have booked the bungalow number 7, it was told me that the bungalow number 7 was not free, as it was occupied by two women for a long time and they don't want to leave it. It was also said that the bungalow number 8 was free and that I can have the bungalow number 7 the following day.

When I have made my booking I have asked for a QUIET place and there is a difference between the bungalow number 7 and the bungalow number 8 : the bungalow number 8 has two floors and as they give me the ground floor, there was somebody else above me. So, first, this is not my idea of a fully private bungalow, second, I could ear the other guest moving on my head and I was awaken at 06:00 AM the following morning by the noise on the first floor.

So, the following day, when I saw again the owner at breakfast, I told him I wanted the bungalow number 7, and he said it was not a problem, I can have the bungalow 7... but no now !

I have checked out one hour later without not even receive an apology.

Now, something more : about two hours after I have checked in the previous day, I saw one of the two ladies of the bungalow 7. I asked her if she was here from a long time and she said to me they just arrive two days ago.

The garden is beautiful, no question about this. But it is the only positive thing I can say. Not only the bungalow 8 is shared by two guests, but as you can see it on the pictures, it's dirty. Furthemore, an horrible black wardrobe spoils the rest of the furniture (see the picture).

There are so many guest houses in Ubud with beautiful garden and clean room : don't book with Swan Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo