“Nice place, very friendly staff”

Tirta Arum Guest House
Ranked #391 of 575 Ubud B&B and Inns
Sunnyvale, California
“Nice place, very friendly staff”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed at Tirta Arum for 3 nights. The rooms are very nice, and it has a nice garden courtyard. The place is relaxing, and the location is good (a short walk to Ubud street), though a little hard to find the first time. Prices are very reasonable.

I found the staff (especially Rian) to be very friendly and helpful. The highlight was that I wanted to see an evening dance performance. The one in walking distance was unexpectedly closed, so Rian put me on the back of his motorbike and drove me to the next closest dance and picked me up when it was over (no charge).

My minor criticisms of the place are that the shower in my room was a small handheld shower nozzle in the bathtub (I would have preferred something attached to the wall), and there wasn't much literature on Ubud in the office. Still, Rian did his best to help me plan fun outings for my stay.

Overall, it was an excellent experience.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dan O

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
world
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We booked this place at the last minute and were really glad we did! We traveled in a party of 7 and got 4 rooms. Each room we had was ginormous and decorated in a charming Indonesian way. My apartment? room? hut? was 2 floors -The bottom with a 6 person dining area, couch and bathroom. The second floor was a loft type room with a queen-sized bed, dresser and toilet. The rooms were clean and air-conditioned, the only thing I would complain about is probably just the rustic toilet (maybe I'm just not used to it) and the old holey towels. On the plus side, there is warm water and they supplied disposable toothbrushes and soap.

The compound was very cozy with lots of foliage and the nicest caretaker ever. He was a young guy who was very friendly and helpful. I had the feeling he was pretty much running the whole place by himself. He was very happy to bring anything you needed to your room and very helpful in recommending places to go and things to do in the area.

The guest house is in a great location in Ubud, a little away from the city center, but a comfortable walking distance to the old palace, market and monkey forest.
Given the chance, at their affordable rate - I would definitely stay here again.

Side note: The hotel doesn't have a restaurant, but the caretaker I mentioned recommended us a really great local place around the corner called Putu's Wild Ginger Restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank shopaholickk
UK
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Not the flashiest of places, but great value for money. I liked the manager, who was ever helpful, even giving me a last minute lift into town on his motorbike when I was late for a yoga class. But it's hard to describe why I liked it so much and it might not be to everybody's taste so I'll try to give you a more factual run down of my 'basic' room:

Comfy bed, less comfy pillows.
Bathroom large with hot water, toilet, basin, bath and shower attached to bath (pretty standard here).
Decor throughout a little faded but makes up for it in simplicity and spaciousness.
Enough windows to let light in but few enough to keep out the heat of the midday sun.
Lovely balcony overlooking little, exotic garden, beautifully kept.
Breakfast brought to you in room at time of your choice. Basic but standard fare (pancakes or toast or eggs, fresh fruit, tea/coffee.
Location: 5mins slow walk to Jalan Raya along road that's a bit busy during the day but not scary at any time of day or night (I'm a single female traveller.
Room has good A/C and a TV (didn't try it out). It has wifi which is fine but temperamental at times (get manager to reboot it if it drops out).
Cleaning is spotless and cleaning girls are hilarious and giggly.
Room is quite well sound proofed but can't hide the fact that there is quite a bit of traffic noise from the nearby road during the day, which is why I moved in the end. V quiet at night.

• Stayed April 2012
Aldergrove, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2012

An oasis in a hectic place. The room was good, the bathroom a little dated and in need of some repair. Hot water was limited during the day when housekeeping was doing the laundry.
For the price a very good deal, close to the main shopping districts. Sometimes it's better to go a few blocks away from the main tourist areas and pay normal prices instead of 300% jacked up tourist prices. Always be prepared to bargain prices down up to 1/3 of opening price, especially if prices are not marked.
The guest house breakfast was a little light for a 220 lb. westerner, adequate to get you started though.

Room Tip: Our room was next to the entrance road, we thought it might be a problem, it wasn't, little or n...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oranya
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I spent three nights here in early July and felt it was worth sharing with other travelers heading to Ubud. Tirta Arum is a group of three story buildings around a beautiful courtyard temple and garden. The interiors of the rooms (we were shown a few options) are nicely laid out with the traditional heavy Balinese furniture and shutters onto a deck area and then a fairly modern bathroom and air conditioning. We also had a bar fridge.

The balcony of our room had a lovely teak couch and table to have our breakfasts (which were brought to out room at the crack of 8:30 every morning). I'll always remember waking up here and sitting out there with a cup of Bali Kopi and watching the mist rise from the garden, listening to the roosters crow and the inn keepers below leaving offerings on the door steps. Even though roosters are everywhere in Ubud, this spot was pretty good for being able to get just enough distance from them to be able to sleep.

The family who run the guest house we just fantastic. They made us a lot of tea and were just genuine and warm every time we spoke to them. We were totally immersed in a traditional neighborhood with hardly a modern thing in sight which was exactly what we wanted and yet we could come back and have a shower whenever we needed to. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank typebug
san francisco
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed in Tirta Arum for about a month in May 2011. I had three different rooms while I was there. The newer, nicer rooms are quite expensive: 200,000 rupiah/night. For that price you can rent a villa. The more affordable, older room is extremely noisy. The wi-fi cuts out constantly. While all of this was manageable, management itself was not. There was a constant turnover of cleaning people/custodians. The owner was on the premises only 1 night per week. Communication is nearly impossible. During the month I was there, the one English-speaking person working there was caught stealing money from the owner. After I moved out, he tracked me down at my new guesthouse and tried to "borrow" money from me. Steer clear of this place and beware: the owner gives a cut to many of the local taxi drivers for bringing tourists there. If you flag down a local looking for a room, you'll likely be brought to either Tirta Arum or Sunari, neither of which are good choices. With an over-abundance of guesthouses in Ubud, you do not need to stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank lynnb11
MissHeart25, Manager at Tirta Arum Guest House, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you for your review. Villa Tirta Arum is now under new management. I have taken your critique seriously and wanted to inform that I have hired new and wonderful staff. We make sure to have an english speaking person on staff at all times. We are currently working to improve the quality of the wifi service. At this time I feel our rates of $45-$55 a night are reasonable for what we provide. I hope you will consider us on your next stay in Bali. Wish you the best.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Like the previous reviewer, I came from the Sri Sunari guesthouse after my stay there ended. The Tirta Arum guesthouse is conveniently located near the center of Ubud, 10 minutes walk to a major street. The Guesthouse is newly decorated and clean. However, there were some things that made me question the competence of the staff and management. It should be noted that management does not live on the property and on two occasions, I was politely asked by staff to 1) loan the driver gas money while on an outing, 2) loan staff a significant amount of cash to pay for the guesthouse electricity bill (which management forgot to pay). They have three different classes of rooms so have a look to compare the features.

What I liked:
1. Friendly staff that went out of their way to accommodate - local transport by motorbike & car.
2. Daily complete room cleaning - floors, linens, bathroom. Fresh flowers.
3. Good A/C
4. Nicely landscaped grounds.
5. Basic breakfast & coffee service included.
6. Mini-fridge, large desk and king size bed
7. Lockable closet
7. Upper rooms have a nice view of the garden and neighborhood. Balcony.

What I did not like:
1. Rats living in the woven rattan ceiling. They move around at night and sound like they are the size of a cat.
2. No soap or shampoo (not a big deal)
3. Spotty wireless internet service. Barely connectable in the rooms and the wireless router locks up a lot. You have to go to the office and reset it. Slow connection.
4. Having to loan staff money to keep the place operating. Management directing staff to ask me to loan them cash.
5. Roosters start at 2:00 am then again at 4:00 am through 6:00 am. Bring your ear plugs.
6. Rooms are not sound insulated and you can hear everything. People walking by outside, motorbikes, roosters and other guests.
7. Only one staff member can speak English.

If you use staff for transportation and outings be sure to negotiate the fee ahead of time and confirm. I had two occasions when staff agreed to an amount and then management got on their case for not charging more. I thought this was unprofessional. If you can deal with the occasional odd thing, then Tirta Arum isn't a bad place.

Happy travels!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank cirrusnine
Thank you for your review. Villa Tirta Arum is now under new management. I have taken your feedback seriously and would like to inform that I have hired new and wonderful staff and am currently working to improve the quality and connection of our wifi service. I hope you will consider another stay with us on your next trip to Bali.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Swasti Eco Cottages
#22 of 36 in Gianyar
Green Bird Villa
Green Bird Villa
#32 of 575 in Ubud

Been to Tirta Arum Guest House? Share your experiences!