“Nice place.”

Ranked #382 of 555 Ubud B&B and Inns
Aldergrove, Canada
“Nice place.”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

An oasis in a hectic place. The room was good, the bathroom a little dated and in need of some repair. Hot water was limited during the day when housekeeping was doing the laundry.
For the price a very good deal, close to the main shopping districts. Sometimes it's better to go a few blocks away from the main tourist areas and pay normal prices instead of 300% jacked up tourist prices. Always be prepared to bargain prices down up to 1/3 of opening price, especially if prices are not marked.
The guest house breakfast was a little light for a 220 lb. westerner, adequate to get you started though.

Room Tip: Our room was next to the entrance road, we thought it might be a problem, it wasn't, little or n...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oranya

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I spent three nights here in early July and felt it was worth sharing with other travelers heading to Ubud. Tirta Arum is a group of three story buildings around a beautiful courtyard temple and garden. The interiors of the rooms (we were shown a few options) are nicely laid out with the traditional heavy Balinese furniture and shutters onto a deck area and then a fairly modern bathroom and air conditioning. We also had a bar fridge.

The balcony of our room had a lovely teak couch and table to have our breakfasts (which were brought to out room at the crack of 8:30 every morning). I'll always remember waking up here and sitting out there with a cup of Bali Kopi and watching the mist rise from the garden, listening to the roosters crow and the inn keepers below leaving offerings on the door steps. Even though roosters are everywhere in Ubud, this spot was pretty good for being able to get just enough distance from them to be able to sleep.

The family who run the guest house we just fantastic. They made us a lot of tea and were just genuine and warm every time we spoke to them. We were totally immersed in a traditional neighborhood with hardly a modern thing in sight which was exactly what we wanted and yet we could come back and have a shower whenever we needed to. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank typebug
san francisco
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed in Tirta Arum for about a month in May 2011. I had three different rooms while I was there. The newer, nicer rooms are quite expensive: 200,000 rupiah/night. For that price you can rent a villa. The more affordable, older room is extremely noisy. The wi-fi cuts out constantly. While all of this was manageable, management itself was not. There was a constant turnover of cleaning people/custodians. The owner was on the premises only 1 night per week. Communication is nearly impossible. During the month I was there, the one English-speaking person working there was caught stealing money from the owner. After I moved out, he tracked me down at my new guesthouse and tried to "borrow" money from me. Steer clear of this place and beware: the owner gives a cut to many of the local taxi drivers for bringing tourists there. If you flag down a local looking for a room, you'll likely be brought to either Tirta Arum or Sunari, neither of which are good choices. With an over-abundance of guesthouses in Ubud, you do not need to stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank lynnb11
MissHeart25, Manager at Tirta Arum Guest House, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you for your review. Villa Tirta Arum is now under new management. I have taken your critique seriously and wanted to inform that I have hired new and wonderful staff. We make sure to have an english speaking person on staff at all times. We are currently working to improve the quality of the wifi service. At this time I feel our rates of $45-$55 a night are reasonable for what we provide. I hope you will consider us on your next stay in Bali. Wish you the best.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Like the previous reviewer, I came from the Sri Sunari guesthouse after my stay there ended. The Tirta Arum guesthouse is conveniently located near the center of Ubud, 10 minutes walk to a major street. The Guesthouse is newly decorated and clean. However, there were some things that made me question the competence of the staff and management. It should be noted that management does not live on the property and on two occasions, I was politely asked by staff to 1) loan the driver gas money while on an outing, 2) loan staff a significant amount of cash to pay for the guesthouse electricity bill (which management forgot to pay). They have three different classes of rooms so have a look to compare the features.

What I liked:
1. Friendly staff that went out of their way to accommodate - local transport by motorbike & car.
2. Daily complete room cleaning - floors, linens, bathroom. Fresh flowers.
3. Good A/C
4. Nicely landscaped grounds.
5. Basic breakfast & coffee service included.
6. Mini-fridge, large desk and king size bed
7. Lockable closet
7. Upper rooms have a nice view of the garden and neighborhood. Balcony.

What I did not like:
1. Rats living in the woven rattan ceiling. They move around at night and sound like they are the size of a cat.
2. No soap or shampoo (not a big deal)
3. Spotty wireless internet service. Barely connectable in the rooms and the wireless router locks up a lot. You have to go to the office and reset it. Slow connection.
4. Having to loan staff money to keep the place operating. Management directing staff to ask me to loan them cash.
5. Roosters start at 2:00 am then again at 4:00 am through 6:00 am. Bring your ear plugs.
6. Rooms are not sound insulated and you can hear everything. People walking by outside, motorbikes, roosters and other guests.
7. Only one staff member can speak English.

If you use staff for transportation and outings be sure to negotiate the fee ahead of time and confirm. I had two occasions when staff agreed to an amount and then management got on their case for not charging more. I thought this was unprofessional. If you can deal with the occasional odd thing, then Tirta Arum isn't a bad place.

Happy travels!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank cirrusnine
Thank you for your review. Villa Tirta Arum is now under new management. I have taken your feedback seriously and would like to inform that I have hired new and wonderful staff and am currently working to improve the quality and connection of our wifi service. I hope you will consider another stay with us on your next trip to Bali.
Seattle
Reviewed November 28, 2010

'Titra Arum is about 3 blocks and a short walk to the amazing food at Bali Buddha. This is important if you're a westerner that does NOT ride a motor bike at home or doesn't like to ride a motorbike when in a foreign country. It's in a quiet location and in a family complex with several stairs up to the main entrance with a traditional balinese doorway. The complex has several older carved buildings and the two buildings that are for renters are in the back...away from the busy street. There was always hot water for shower, the A/C always worked, i had a balcony to do yoga, the room was very clean with white stone tiles. The room Deluxe Arum was relatively new and 'contemporaryish balinese' i.e. a few small windows with wooden doors to close out the light and sound. You're pretty much left to your own, i.e. no front desk or breakfast availability but we wanted to eat at the amazing Bali Buddha every day 3 blocks away. A great place for $40 U.S./night if you're not looking for a 'hotel with front desk and restaurant'. On some nights and on some bali festivals it should be noted that there is a Community Center next door with Gamelan musicians playing until 11pm on some nights. I use earplugs when i travel so that muted it. Also, all the rooms are NOT equal, if you stick to the 4 Deluxe Arum rooms those are the best for sure. Others are older.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank TheZenGuy
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I stayed at TIrta Arum after a recommendation from the Sri Sunari, which was booked for one of the two nights I was to spend in Ubud. After arriving in the pouring rain, I was shown to a delightful second-floor room, with its own balcony, private bathroom and dark-wood furniture with cozy cushions. The bathroom has a thatched roof that is open to the outside, but I didn't see any bugs (i did see a lizard or two that fled quickly!).

When I started to walk to town in the rain, one of the staffers provided an umbrella, and then, seeing how bad the rain was (ankle deep due to rushing water of an intense storm!), drove me to the main drag so that I could get a bite to eat. He even waited for me to finish so I wouldn't have to walk back in the rain!

Without rain, the house is only a 5-minute walk to the main road of Ubud. I really liked the location -- it was quiet at night and in the morning I heard roosters and chickens and other "country" sounds. I also could heard sounds of a gamelan frequently ... very beautiful! Breakfast was brought to me on my balcony in the morning -- lovely view of the courtyard and lush trees.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Bakung Ubud Resort and Villa
#13 of 35 in Gianyar
Green Bird Villa
Green Bird Villa
#43 of 555 in Ubud

Been to Tirta Arum Guest House? Share your experiences!