“A great investment of time and money!”

Casa Luna Cooking School
Book In Advance
More Info
$59.25*
and up
Bali Cooking Class with Private Transfer
Ranked #10 of 39 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1989, The Casa Luna Cooking School is Bali's most renowned cooking school. Set in the lush grounds of Honeymoon Guesthouse in Jalan Bisma, classes run 7 days a week and include a vegan class, smoked duck twilight class, market tours, food tours and daily sessions. Learn the secret language of spices from our experienced teachers and taste a world of exotic Balinese flavours. Fresh hibiscus tea is served on arrival followed by a discussion about spices, the preparation of all the ingredients, ending in a delicious, memorable feast.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was the best 5 hours I spent in Ubud! For $35 I received an education in shopping at the traditional market (before 10am each day if you want to secure the prices locals pay rather than enjoy a 50% increase paid by tourists!). Following the tour, the Casa Luna cooking school staff treated us to a morning tea complete with a demonstration for making hibiscus tea from a fresh flower. The cooking class covered the preparation of 5 mainstays of Balinese cuisine, including my favorite...Mie Goreng (fried noodles).

The instructor, Yudi, shared tips and techniques for cooking Balinese food which she had learned from her mother. We learned the proper way to grind ingredients into a paste using a Balinese mortar and pestle as well as knife techniques for preparing vegetables without bruising them. The best tip, "Cook when you're happy." From the energy and enthusiasm she demonstrated during the class I suspect she is ALWAYS happy! :-)

The class takes place at the Honeymood Guest House down the street from the restaurant in a spacious beautifully decorated open kitchen surrounded by lush landscaping.

The best part of all...we ate our creations for lunch!

Casa_Luna_Group_team, Owner at Casa Luna Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear FS! Thanks for the great review. The class certainly is good value
: the food is free flowing and the cooking class team are dedicated and fun. Thanks so much! Janet

Reviewed September 1, 2013

we did a trip to a family coconut nectar sugar place. it was brilliant watching the process of how to get the delicious sugar from the coconut nectar, start to finish with a sample to take home. we also saw how sea salt is produced. both processes were so sustainable and environmentally friendly. price included travel to the sites, plus lunch. highly recommend this tour. now I can enjoy sugar and not feel guilty, something straight from nature.

Dear Lynn. Great that you enjoyed the palm sugar and sea salt tour. I love this part of Bali and the people who make the palm sugar are very sweet (pardon the pun!). On a personal note, I'm happy to have seen how their home has improved over the years due to the extra cash these tours have provided. Janet

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I'm not a natural cook but I had such a fun time at the Friday beginners course. While you don't actually do all of the cooking, you're involved in preparation. And the food- WOW! So, delicious. Thank you very much to Oleg, Yudi and all the staff.

1  Thank jmm73
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The teacher of the cooking class was fantastic! Very funny, enthusiastic and easy to talk to! Food was abundant and the snacks and free drinks they gave us was ver kind and thoughtful.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have long been a fan of the food served at Janet de Neefe's restaurants in Ubud and so I was looking forward to taking the Monday class where recipes that I had cooked at home were being presented. These were more complicated than the basic classes and did not involve a trip to the market. I don't particularly like Asian markets apart from the fruit and veg section - everything else is too confronting and smelly for my pampered western senses.
The location is quite easy to get to and is held at the drop dead gorgeous apartments that are just across the road from the older section of the Honeymoon guest house.
We started off with a local Balinese woman who spoke excellent English giving us a description/background to Balinese cooking and the different ingredients we would be using. These were passed around our group of 12 people to sniff and taste while we waited for Janet to arrive. While she talked others were slicing and dicing the ingredients that would go into our lunch.
Some reviews have complained that this class lacks a "hands on experience". This is true but as someone who does cook Indonesian style food I know just how much time it takes to prepare the ingredients and how dangerous the knives can be so for me it was fine to have others prepare while I watched in amazement at how dextrous they were with choppers/knives and cleavers. We got a taste of how much energy goes into the preparation of ingredients when we all took turns at grinding the paste.
Janet was delightful as an instructor - she must have presented classes so many times but her talk was friendly, fresh, natural and responsive to our questions. And she does it all while wearing high heels!
The food "we" cooked was delicious and I went away with greater insight into how the ingredients were sourced and how the food should be prepared as well as a booklet of the recipes presented that day.
I booked this over the internet but did not pay the R350,000 each until we arrived in Ubud a few days before the Monday class.

Dear BaliHappy. I have just found out how to answer Trip Advisor and what fun! Instead of working on a new cookbook I am now sitting in front of guest's comments and answering them. In the meantime, thanks for your delightful review of the class. Our aim is to please: to have maximum fun combined with a lavish serve of information, good food and Balinese hospitality. Thrilled you noticed my high heels too!!! Janet

Been to Casa Luna Cooking School? Share your experiences!