Open today: 8:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Casa Luna Cooking School tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from $34.00
from $59.25
from $30.00
More Info
All reviews hibiscus tea market tour vegetarian class balinese food fish curry honeymoon guest house herbs and spices recipes home mee goreng wonderful teacher cookery class great class learned how local market fruit highlight of our trip demonstration
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We did the smoked duck and Oleg our host was fantastic very knowledgeable and good at his job. This is our 2nd class at casa Luna and really why would you choose anywhere else they do it best. Janet knows her stuff and it reflects on the staff loved the class loved the dinner would definitely recommend!!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This experience was one of the highlights of our Bali trip. Make sure you go hungry and eat everything and a lot of it.

The food was non stop and it was amazingly tasty with stuff cooked for us by the staff. We did the market tour and cooking class and it is so informative. If you want to do a cooking class with market tour I would seriously consider this one. We felt confident shopping throughout Bali and felt like we really knew what we could get for our money after the tour with Oleg.

The food we prepped and cooked was the tastiest food we had. It is really good to know how they prep food and really enjoyed using the knives that are found throughout Bali. There wasn’t masses of cooking but with simple dishes you can’t get everyone involved.

As I said, go hungry and you won’t regret!

Reviewed October 3, 2018

We did the morning class so we could look around the market as well and Oleg took us and told us about each stall that we stopped at and showed us the different vegetables and fruit on offer. The class was great and our teacher was fabulous and funny. The food was oh so good... We didn't actually do a lot of cooking, more preparing of the spices and eating the fab food.

Reviewed September 27, 2018

My daughter and I attended a vegetarian class at Casa Luna. The school was recommended to us by a local friend, who rang and made arrangements. We didn't realise that there are different classes on different days...so check this if you have preferences.
Although I was a vegan for a few years, we are certainly no longer vegetarians and we were initially a little disappointed with our choice. However, we thoroughly enjoyed the experience, the cooking and the food. We learnt so much about the various ingredients and Balinese culture and cooking techniques. Our teacher realised our 'non vegetarian dilemma' and regularly told us how we could substitute meat and proteins in many of the dishes.
I regularly choose cooking classes when I travel as it gives you a greater insight into local life and this was one of the best. Thank you Casa Luna, we enjoyed every minute and would love to come back one day.

Fragrantrice, Owner at Casa Luna Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2018

Thanks so much for your super kind review. I'm over the moon that you enjoyed the experience so much. The aim of the class is to teach and share knowledge, no matter what the menu is, so I am glad you appreciated this. And my team are pretty special and hilarious. So we truly do hope to see you again! Janet

Reviewed September 9, 2018

Loved this class on Wednesday with the amazing Yukde. Have been before and it is a fantastic reason to come to Ubud. You learn so much and it is great fun. Thoroughly recommend it .

Reviewed August 6, 2018

I work in the food industry so I always search out for these experiences as there is always something new to learn. Oleg was our teacher and he was fun and informative. We learnt basic Balinese dishes in this class and then enjoyed the delicious food. It was great to see them focus on hygiene as well as the flavours. The only criticism would be the class was quite big and some people had not turned up so it would have been more! I think 10 would be the max.

Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

We felt a little out of place in Bali, we are not into the crowds of tourists and not into the beach. So Ubud and Casa Luna Cooking school were the perfect activity for us. We love food and cooking, but we also love learning about the culture of a country, not just the awful tourist traps. Casa Luna’s staff were so friendly and warm and shared so much about the beautiful Balinese culture with us while we all prepared a generous, shared meal and learned about Balinese cooking. It was the highlight of our trip (so much so we went back for a second day). Our 11 year old loved it too and it was great for her to be involved and learn Bali is about so much more than tourism. Highly recommend.

Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I attended the Casa Luna cooking class last Sunday night.
This was an evening of fun and learning as well as eating delicious food.
I enjoyed learning about the herbs and spices used in the dishes and even learnt some tips about how to use salt and rubbing your hands on stainless steal to get rid of chilli and garlic smell.(I hope this works)
An enjoyable experience in Ubud .

Fragrantrice, Owner at Casa Luna Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2018

Dear Jenny. Thanks so much for enjoying the Casa Luna Cooking School. Smoked Duck is one of my absolute favs. We hope we see you again. Janet

Reviewed June 3, 2018 via mobile

It is owned by an Austrian lady and it is very well organized. It is a beautiful area! The food is very delicious as well. They teach you about indonesian food and spices.

I love the Bali To-Do List reference. Thanks so much. And I'm Australian by the way. Not Austrian - as much as I would love to be European. Sigh....Best Janet

Reviewed May 28, 2018

I have visited Bali seven times and this is the first time I have done a cooking class - why did I wait so long! It was AMAZING! All the staff at Casa Luna Cooking School are so knowledgeable and talented. And we had the divine pleasure of meeting the owner Janet, who ran the class. What a wonderful and special lady; I was so thrilled to have had the chance to meet her and spend time in her cooking class with her.

If you are thinking of doing a cooking class then I highly recommend this one. There are lots available in Ubud and some are cheaper in price however the beautiful kitchen setting, the fresh ingredients, the knowledge and the experience I had makes this one worth every cent. I feel like you get what you pay for and in this instance, you will have a quality lesson with experts, eat a delicious meal and leave with some wonderful recipes that you can recreate at home. I have to say our group of students were a delight to be around for half a day and lots of fun.

Doing this cooking class was better than buying a souvenir - more memorable and unique! Who needs another market Bintang singlet - take home a skill and something you can make for your friends or family when they visit to showcase beautiful Bali.

I had such a delightful experience at Casa Luna Cooking School and highly recommend this to anyone considering doing this as an activity whilst in Ubud. I am in the travel industry and will be making sure my clients, friends, and family visit when they are in Ubud and looking for something to do. They offer many different classes and I will be trying a different one when I am in back in town in October 2018. Thank you Janet and everyone at Casa Luna, you are gems!

Dear Jen. What an absolutely lovely review!! You get the annual Trip Advisor Review Award from me!! (I should get stickers made!). I'm bowled over that you think I am wonderful and special and that my team are gems - which they are. Let me know when you are back - I don't always teach in October due to Ubud Writers Fest commitments, but I will try if you will be attending a class. Maybe we can have afternoon tea together...or a Happy Hour chilled something! Best Janet

PS. We are the first cooking school in Bali and most other schools have sent someone to my class and use my recipes. There is of course room enough for everyone - I don't have a problem with that - but thank you for acknowledging our experience and professionalism. We give it our best.