“Amazing cooking class and much more”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #5 of 44 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 26, 2010

Much more than a cooking class - got to experience a Balinese household and learn about their culture. Starts with a mkt trip, understanding the importance of Rice to the Balinese before visiting Puspa and Wayan's house where we learnt some traditional cooking. Small class and a wonderful day.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,727)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"family home"
in 92 reviews

Reviewed December 22, 2010

Sensational experience well worth the day. Cultural experience beyond cooking, learn a little on how to be human again. The cooking is an added bonus.

Reviewed December 21, 2010

Undoubtedly one of the best things I did while in Indonesia. I signed up for the cooking class after seeing other glowing reviews on TA. It turned out that I was the only person that signed up for that day, so I had the complete attention of Wayan and his chef the entire time.

He picked me up around 9am and the first stop was the local market. Nothing too earth-shattering, but it was really helpful to "see behind the curtain" of Balinese daily life. He also gladly answered any question I had.

After the market, we went to the rice paddy in Laplapan Village, where Wayan explained how a village operates, including the leadership, communication among the people, how emergencies are handled, etc. His English is superb, by the way.

There was a slight technical difficult that morning, so I didn't get to actual cook anything until 3pm or so. But Wayan was extremely apologetic about the delay, and it worth the wait anyway.

It was me, the chef, and Wayan in the open-air kitchen at his house in Laplapan Village. There he has a garden where most of the vegetables and herbs are grown. The kitchen equipment was decent; better pots/pans and knives are customary in the US, but obviously the equipment was more than sufficient. The ambiance was impeccable and gorgeous.

We cooked the following dishes: sweet and sour tempe; clear-broth chicken soup; steamed fish in banana leaf; chicken curry; Indonesian version of Bananas Foster; and several more. The directions were a little rushed at times, even for just one person, so I can see how it might be difficult to catch every detail in a class with 4-6 people. But I managed to write down some pretty good notes and get some good videos and pictures. Wayan also gave me hard copies of the recipes, though some had errors in them. There's plenty of time to fill in the blanks if you miss anything too.

Then I ate the excellent food, and I can't wait to cook it at home. After eating, Wayan and I spoke about the various initiatives he participates in: providing school supplies and shoes to some of the poorer students in Bali; educating the village about litter and the environmental impact; and a variety of other incredibly impressive initiatives.

I can't stress enough how valuable this experience was. I hope Wayan reads this and remembers "Jay," and I hope you get a chance to visit the Paon Cooking Class in Bali. Get out of the tourist trap and do it.

Reviewed December 19, 2010

Puspa and Wayan are lovely hosts and provide an amazing day of market and rice paddy touring followed by a really fun cooking class. In addition to learning about the market and typical Balinese foods, Wayan shows you how rice is cultivated in the hills above their family compound. He also provides you with the unique experience of visiting his family temple (each family compound has a family temple on the grounds). Puspa is fantastic in the kitchen and the whole experience was wonderful!

My brother took the class with his family 2 months ago and when he travelled to Ubud with me last week, he took the class again! Puspa and Wayan are some of the friendliest people I've met in all of my travels and I can't say enough about how wonderful it was to spend the day with them!