“Wow we loved it”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #4 of 43 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This was such a great tour. We loved it. The group was not too big. We learnt loads of things about food and Bali. This husband and wife team were great. The food was so yummy. I cant wait to make it when I get home.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,682)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"learn how"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed June 4, 2011

Wayan and Puspa are the most welcoming hosts ever! The day began with a lesson on typical Balinese ingredients at the markets, then a stroll through the family rice paddy and finally a feast on our own creations at the family home. Having the class at their home was the highlight! Thanks for a fantastic day in Ubud!

Reviewed June 4, 2011

I like to cook and I cook a lot so I was expecting a proper cooking class. Unfortunately I don't feel the experience was set up that way. It was more of a get to know Bali culture and cook traditional food with a big group of people. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely. The family was very welcoming and kind, they taught us a lot about the culture, rice and some of the basic ingredients included in the cooking. But, all the cooking I did was chop garlic, chillies and stir a pot. I was not a big fan of this, particularly because I can't help compare it to other classes I've taken where I learned about the ingredients, cooking style and was required to make all of my own dishes...

If you are looking for a casual view into Bali culture and have a fun large meal with lots of people, than this is great. If you are looking for a proper cooking class which will increase your cooking skills and awareness of Bali ingredients then.. maybe try elsewhere.

9  Thank mblohm
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Paon Bali was a highlight of our honeymoon and a must-do that we are still talking about. The owners make you feel right at home, and teach you about family life, the market, rice and cooking all in one glorious day at their beautiful home. The market tour gave us a peek into real life in Ubud and was really fun. Onto the rice fields, where we learned about the family system and cultivation, and then to their home to start the lessons. We enjoyed the cooking and sampling very much- and eventually our delicious lunch. A must do for your trip- great fun and learning in a hands on way you won't forget.

1  Thank Shmorg
See more reviews
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We had such a wonderful time during our Paon Bali Cooking Class. The owners were wonderful and the chef was very knowledgeable, attentive and great to learn from. When we got picked up from our hotel we were first taken to the rice fields- where we got to learn about how the rice is harvested and then got to interact with the farmers and actually work in the rice fields for a bit! That was a great experience! We then went to the house where the cooking class would take place. The owners of the class (and house) were extremely welcoming and made you feel right at home. Since we did the afternoon class (started at 4pm) we (my husband and I) were the only ones, which made it even better because we got to do all of the cooking! All of the ingredients that we used were fresh and some were even organic! I loved that the kitchen was kept very clean all of the time. We made about 7 different dishes that were all very good and manageable to make once I came back to the States. My husband is not a big fan of cooking but he even had a great time! I am so glad we got to do this class as it was not only a cooking class but a true Balinese cultural experience. I truly recommend it.

1  Thank THauser