“A Must Do!”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #5 of 44 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Paon Bali was a highlight of our honeymoon and a must-do that we are still talking about. The owners make you feel right at home, and teach you about family life, the market, rice and cooking all in one glorious day at their beautiful home. The market tour gave us a peek into real life in Ubud and was really fun. Onto the rice fields, where we learned about the family system and cultivation, and then to their home to start the lessons. We enjoyed the cooking and sampling very much- and eventually our delicious lunch. A must do for your trip- great fun and learning in a hands on way you won't forget.

1  Thank Shmorg
Write a ReviewReviews (3,729)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"family home"
in 92 reviews

Reviewed May 31, 2011

We had such a wonderful time during our Paon Bali Cooking Class. The owners were wonderful and the chef was very knowledgeable, attentive and great to learn from. When we got picked up from our hotel we were first taken to the rice fields- where we got to learn about how the rice is harvested and then got to interact with the farmers and actually work in the rice fields for a bit! That was a great experience! We then went to the house where the cooking class would take place. The owners of the class (and house) were extremely welcoming and made you feel right at home. Since we did the afternoon class (started at 4pm) we (my husband and I) were the only ones, which made it even better because we got to do all of the cooking! All of the ingredients that we used were fresh and some were even organic! I loved that the kitchen was kept very clean all of the time. We made about 7 different dishes that were all very good and manageable to make once I came back to the States. My husband is not a big fan of cooking but he even had a great time! I am so glad we got to do this class as it was not only a cooking class but a true Balinese cultural experience. I truly recommend it.

1  Thank THauser
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The Paon Bali cooking class was a great experience, the food, the people and the location was fantastic. I would highly recommend this to everyone, Puspa and Wayan made the day so much fun, it’s 9 out of 10.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

We were lucky to enjoy a special evening class with only 2 other participants. This made the experience far more enjoyable as we really felt we were part of Wayan and Puspa's family. They both have such a wonderful sense of humour and are so passionate about what they do, it was a real highlight of our trip to Ubud. The food we helped prepare was excellent and to try out authentic methods of preparation (mortar and pestle as opposed to a food processor) made the experience quite special. Their home is located overlooking a beautiful valley, and just to see that was wonderful.
Thank you Wayan and Pupsa, you and the cooking course were a highlight of our holiday!