“Wonderful hosts - a fun experience”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #5 of 44 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We were lucky to enjoy a special evening class with only 2 other participants. This made the experience far more enjoyable as we really felt we were part of Wayan and Puspa's family. They both have such a wonderful sense of humour and are so passionate about what they do, it was a real highlight of our trip to Ubud. The food we helped prepare was excellent and to try out authentic methods of preparation (mortar and pestle as opposed to a food processor) made the experience quite special. Their home is located overlooking a beautiful valley, and just to see that was wonderful.
Thank you Wayan and Pupsa, you and the cooking course were a highlight of our holiday!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,728)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"family home"
in 92 reviews

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I was also on a very large group to the cooking school but I found it an awesome group and a thoroughly well organised experience. Puspa and Wayan organise an excellent day incorporating village life, the rice fields and cooking and was by far the most interesting day I spent in Bali. Though the group was large that day I found there was exactly as much actual cooking available as you wanted to do. I learnt several new techniques I have not yet put into practice but I certainly shall do. As for the eating.... fantastic!

1  Thank Marshie58
Reviewed May 24, 2011

From the moment we were greeted by this dynamic duo of husband and wife , we were well taken care of .An interresting visit to the market where tourist would not realy go, we learn about vegetables and fruits, spices and culture .A short trip to the country side to get the real story about rice patty and living on this land .
Then we were off to the host house , clean , traditionea and fill with stories of today living .
After we got explantion of produce and recepies the guests all participated in cutting and chopping, grinding, cooking of at least 7 dishes. At two large tables we ate our realy delicious food and chat about our differents contries .The day is full of good stories ,food and our great host!!!

3  Thank vantreal
Reviewed May 23, 2011

although it was a great day, dont expect to do much cooking. We had a very large group of 24. and the most cooking i did was chop two carrots. I would not recommend to anyone wanting to actually cook a full meal then eat it (which is what i assumed a cooking class was)
I would not return.

5  Thank jarrodaus
See more reviews
Reviewed May 18, 2011

First of all a huge thank you to the owners Puspa & Wayan! This was by far one of the best activities I have done throughout my travels in Bali. On all of my future travels I now plan on incorporating a cooking class and they will be hard pressed to beat our experiences with you.

I cannot urge all future travelers to Ubud enough to register for a cooking class with Puspa and Wayan. We loved every aspect of this tour: shopping at the local ubud market for our cooking ingredients in the early am, learning about and exploring the rice paddies in their local village, cooking a delicious Indonesian meal from scratch in Puspa and Wayan's personal home/kitchen and, I cannot forget the best part, eating our delicious meal!

Thank you for such a great experience and all the great memories. I will make sure to book a second class when we return to Bali!

2  Thank BostonEsan