“the most amazing day in Bali , do not miss this opportunity to learn...”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #5 of 44 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 24, 2011

From the moment we were greeted by this dynamic duo of husband and wife , we were well taken care of .An interresting visit to the market where tourist would not realy go, we learn about vegetables and fruits, spices and culture .A short trip to the country side to get the real story about rice patty and living on this land .
Then we were off to the host house , clean , traditionea and fill with stories of today living .
After we got explantion of produce and recepies the guests all participated in cutting and chopping, grinding, cooking of at least 7 dishes. At two large tables we ate our realy delicious food and chat about our differents contries .The day is full of good stories ,food and our great host!!!

3  Thank vantreal
Write a ReviewReviews (3,729)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"family home"
in 92 reviews

Reviewed May 23, 2011

although it was a great day, dont expect to do much cooking. We had a very large group of 24. and the most cooking i did was chop two carrots. I would not recommend to anyone wanting to actually cook a full meal then eat it (which is what i assumed a cooking class was)
I would not return.

5  Thank jarrodaus
Reviewed May 18, 2011

First of all a huge thank you to the owners Puspa & Wayan! This was by far one of the best activities I have done throughout my travels in Bali. On all of my future travels I now plan on incorporating a cooking class and they will be hard pressed to beat our experiences with you.

I cannot urge all future travelers to Ubud enough to register for a cooking class with Puspa and Wayan. We loved every aspect of this tour: shopping at the local ubud market for our cooking ingredients in the early am, learning about and exploring the rice paddies in their local village, cooking a delicious Indonesian meal from scratch in Puspa and Wayan's personal home/kitchen and, I cannot forget the best part, eating our delicious meal!

Thank you for such a great experience and all the great memories. I will make sure to book a second class when we return to Bali!

2  Thank BostonEsan
Reviewed May 15, 2011

A fabulous and informative cooking class. I travelled up from Legian in the morning and it was well worth the trip.
Puspa & Wayan are great hosts and Puspa is very patient with all the questions and queries.
I only hope I can replicate all the flavours now I am home!

1  Thank LuluandherLuggage
See more reviews
Reviewed May 14, 2011

It is clear that Puspa and Wayan have built their business on a base of love of Bali and cooking, and they and their whole family made us feel right at home immediately. The highlight of the day was certainly the cooking, where we prepared nine dishes. This was the best food we had in Bali during our stay!!
We had a group of ten, and there was lots of hand-on cooking to be done! "Aunty Puspa" and her staff were very good at explaining all the steps and ensured that everyone got a turn at cooking (and taste testing!) all of the dishes. We received a printed copy of the recipes, and tonight on our first night home from Bali, we tried to re-create Puspa's clear mushroom soup - not quite right without the fresh kaffir lime leaves (we plan to create our own Balinese vegetable garden just like Puspa's!).
We loved Puspa's tour of the market and being able to ask all those silly questions you've always wanted to ask (what is that spiky fruit?!), and also loved being entertained by Wayan with his explanation of rice harvesting.
I would highly recommend this class to anyone visiting Bali.

1  Thank Polly6034