“Simply the Best!”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #5 of 44 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 18, 2011

First of all a huge thank you to the owners Puspa & Wayan! This was by far one of the best activities I have done throughout my travels in Bali. On all of my future travels I now plan on incorporating a cooking class and they will be hard pressed to beat our experiences with you.

I cannot urge all future travelers to Ubud enough to register for a cooking class with Puspa and Wayan. We loved every aspect of this tour: shopping at the local ubud market for our cooking ingredients in the early am, learning about and exploring the rice paddies in their local village, cooking a delicious Indonesian meal from scratch in Puspa and Wayan's personal home/kitchen and, I cannot forget the best part, eating our delicious meal!

Thank you for such a great experience and all the great memories. I will make sure to book a second class when we return to Bali!

2  Thank BostonEsan
Write a ReviewReviews (3,728)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"family home"
in 92 reviews

Reviewed May 15, 2011

A fabulous and informative cooking class. I travelled up from Legian in the morning and it was well worth the trip.
Puspa & Wayan are great hosts and Puspa is very patient with all the questions and queries.
I only hope I can replicate all the flavours now I am home!

1  Thank LuluandherLuggage
Reviewed May 14, 2011

It is clear that Puspa and Wayan have built their business on a base of love of Bali and cooking, and they and their whole family made us feel right at home immediately. The highlight of the day was certainly the cooking, where we prepared nine dishes. This was the best food we had in Bali during our stay!!
We had a group of ten, and there was lots of hand-on cooking to be done! "Aunty Puspa" and her staff were very good at explaining all the steps and ensured that everyone got a turn at cooking (and taste testing!) all of the dishes. We received a printed copy of the recipes, and tonight on our first night home from Bali, we tried to re-create Puspa's clear mushroom soup - not quite right without the fresh kaffir lime leaves (we plan to create our own Balinese vegetable garden just like Puspa's!).
We loved Puspa's tour of the market and being able to ask all those silly questions you've always wanted to ask (what is that spiky fruit?!), and also loved being entertained by Wayan with his explanation of rice harvesting.
I would highly recommend this class to anyone visiting Bali.

1  Thank Polly6034
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We enjoyed the hospitality of Wayan and Puspa in their intimate cooking class. It was the highlight of our visit to Ubud. They both exude personality, spark and ensure that everyone understands a bit about the markets, rice growing, family living conditions and especially how to prepare, cook and eat delicious, fresh and ultra Balinese foods. We highly recommend this not only for the food, but for the wonderful delight of being entertained in a real Balinese home with real and enthusiastic hosts. Thanks for a fabulous experience!!