“An experience not to be missed!”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #5 of 44 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I had read the reviews from TripAdvisor before going to Bali and was inspired to do the class even though I am not the worlds biggest foodie. I am so glad that I did.

Visiting the market was not just about identifying spices, vegetables and fruit, but also to share an insight into offerings and even how to get into the fruit without getting it all over yourself!

There was a little bit of discussion about the rice paddies but I found that other tours gave a more detailed explanation, particularly the Bali Nature Herbal Walk, but the information was complimentary. We also talked about traditional compounds, their layout and composition. Again, other tours covered this, such as the Eco Bali Cycling Tour but it was good to see it from another perspective.

But the real experience was the cooking! This was no cooking demonstration, everyone had a part to play - chopping, grinding, mixing, cooking and tasting. I'm no expert but they do get you to work to your skill and interest level. We even had two children on the course and they were given tasks such as stirring and grinding. It really is a class for everyone.

The culmination of our endeavours was a feast - and it was worth it! I couldn't agree more that this was the best Balinese food I had tasted and to know that I was a part of it made it taste even better!

One word of warning though, they do run on Bali time. A few of us were a bit worried when the pick up was late and even asked our hotels to call to confirm. We needn't have feared though as they did arrive. Of course, by running on Bali time they were patient to take us through everything and didn't rush us out the door to get us back to our hotel by 1:30pm. We got back around 3pm. So if you book the morning trip, expect to be out most of the day.

Wayan, Puspa and the other members of the team all made us feel extremely welcome. It was a fantastic experience and I thoroughly recommend it!

3  Thank irissa_of_oz
Write a ReviewReviews (3,728)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"family home"
in 92 reviews

Reviewed May 3, 2011

We joined this class on the recommendation of a friend who has been on two separate occasions and were not disappointed.

Puspa and Wayan are welcoming hosts, I felt as if I was "helping out" in a friend's kitchen and the meal we prepared was fresh, delicious and simple - definitely a couple of dishes I will cook at home (ingredients used in the recipes are readily available in Australian supermarkets).

Also enjoyable was the friendly banter with the others in our group of 19 as we moved between various preparation stations, shared our meal and exchanged hints and tips for travel/tours in Bali.

Bintang is available for purchase, will be taking a bottle of Two Islands chardy on my next visit.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

Starting with a trip to the market, visit to the village rice fields and then the 9 course cooking and eating experience, this was a day to remember. Having heard about other cookery experiences form travellers then I would suggest that this is the one to go for. There is lots of information to take in right through the day and if you are not in the mood to listen and take in the culture and traditions of the hosts then stay on the beach; but if you are ready to immerse yourself in the day then this will feature high in your memories of Bali. Our tip is to arrange a one way transfer from the organisers at the start oif the day then take the opportunity to go into Ubud after the school ends in the afternoon; spend 4 or 5 hours cruising the shops and stalls, grab some dinner and arrange a taxi back to your base.

1  Thank editionsofyou
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We had a wonderful day ! From the time the driver picked us up in Kuta till the moment he dropped us back.
Visits to all food markets,rice paddies and information about the family compounds all very interesting>
Puspa and Wayan went out of their way to include everybody and offered as much hands on as people wanted to experience.
It was a very hot day and they were continually looking out for everyone and made a point of speaking to everyone individually and finding out a little about them as well as sharing alot of themselves.
I would liken it to visiting a family you already knew ,the friendly banter amongst the staff and shared anecdotes made for a very enjoyable day for everyone ,even those who arent that into cooking.
I have noted that other reviewers have thought the class size too large,however ours was 20 people and that added to the fun mix I thought. I wonder if people would be happy to pay alot more for a guaranteed small class size .We also gained alot of interesting travel info from our fellow classmates whom we wold not have otherwise met.
Thankyou Puspa and Wayan and all your great staff for a wonderful day and we will think of you when we try and recreate your dishes!