“PAON BALI COOKING CLASS - BEST THING WE DID IN BALI”

Paon Bali Cooking Class
Ranked #5 of 44 Food & Drink in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Embark on a culinary adventure unlocking the secrets of authentic Balinese cooking, utilizing traditional ingredients and preparation methods, in a fully equipped community village kitchen. Your day starts early at the Ubud markets, where you can pick from fresh herbs & spices, crisp vegetables and choice cuts of meat, before heading off on guided ‘padi’ expeditions. Upon your return to Laplapan village, you will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided by your host, Puspa, who will help you to discover how to create your very own delicious authentic Balinese dishes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Our family did the Paon Cooking Class. This was the best thing we did in Bali without getting ripped off. The Hosts were very interesting and funny and passionate. Making sure that everyone was happy. Went out of there way to ensure we had enough food, especially cooking a soup for my husband and son because they didn'tlike the mushrooms.
Apparently someone wrote on there site that they talked to much, I feel people should stop and think before they make these comments, as they talked enough for us to understand the culture etc. Best day out and hands on as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,728)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"family home"
in 92 reviews

Reviewed May 1, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our day with Puspa and Wayan. They are truly professional at what they do. The food we prepared was the best we had eaten in Bali all week. We really appreciated the opportunity to experience the market and the rice paddies where Wayan explained the intricacies of the culture. I would recommend this to those wanting a cultural and food experience within a Balinese home, and perhaps not for those wishing a one on one master class. I came away with a good appreciation of the local food.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

What can I say... We have been a little disappointed with the true Balinese food until last night. What a wonderful setting, accompanied by two funny and truly entertaining hosts with amazing food. Even got a tour of the rice paddies!

2  Thank Mr M
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Having just returned from this cooking class (not much cooking) with my wife' we found the class to be over booked ( were told the maximum was 14 but on the day there was 24 of us) even though the host's were fantastic and very welcoming it failed to teach us any real cooking.
We have done other cooking class's in Bali that offered a greater learning experience and was much more enjoyable .

4  Thank Lucia A
See more reviews
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We loved this cooking class. The hosts Wayan and Pupsa really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and give you a great experience. It is brilliantly organised. I agree, this was not just a cooking class this was a cultural experience. Well worth the money. Great meal!
My only criticism would be that they need to be careful about numbers. There were 20 people in our class and I would have enjoyed it even more if there had of been a max of 10-12 people. So my advise would be to ask how many bookings they have for the day you want to go. It was also a slightly long winded experience. But I still can't fault it for the food, hospitiality, organisation and experience.

1  Thank lindaatsch