“Great taste and friendly service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Putu's Wild Ginger

Putu's Wild Ginger
Ranked #21 of 714 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Putu's Wild Ginger is built out of love. Love that Putu and her husband, Nyoman, want to share with you. If you're coming through Ubud, swing by for the best home-cooked meal on the island. Reservations (by phone or email) strongly recommended. Please give 24 hours notice if you'd like to try Putu's famous smoked duck feast.
Leidschendam, The Netherlands
“Great taste and friendly service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

We found this restaurant not by ourselves, but because of the recommendations on Tripadvisor. First of all....excellent communication on the possibilities of the menu for the day we visited Ubud and Putu's. Email communication was swift and we decided on the Smoked duck which had a preparation time of 24hrs. So no dish to decide when we arrived......we ordered a beer and waited for aprox. 20 minutes for the dishes to arrive and what a feast it was. For us it resembled the famous Rijsttafel which many special ingredients, but all the dishes in this meal were set to enhance the taste of the fantastic duck. A meal to remember and the best and most authentic we had on Bali in our 14 day stay over there. So next time we will visit Ubud we will be sure to include Putu's Wild Ginger in our trip for one of our dinners.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ryansobol, son of the owners at Putu's Wild Ginger, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thanks so much!

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
“Pleasant, but not the rave reviews: 3 and a half stars, really!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Relatively easy access from Ubud central; 15 mins from town centre (walking).
We came for dinner as a family. The warung was pleasantly decorated, with lots of greenery, and situated off a pretty quiet main road, so the ambience was very pleasant. The hosts were friendly and talkative, and service was quick. We tried the sweet potato fries (nice), ayam and babi kecap goreng, and balinese chicken curry. The kecap goreng sauces were somewhat unique and probably the highlight of the meal, while the curry had Thai influences (strong lemon grass and coconut milk). The goreng pisang was reasonably good as the finish. Prices were reasonable, but we felt that most of the dishes had much less meat than other warungs we ate at. The ayam goreng was more vegetable goreng than ayam, for instance!
So pleasant ambience, relatively good food, and accessible.

Queensland
“Don't miss it. One of Ubud's best.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had the opportunity to try the lovely food of Ibu Putu at Wild Ginger several times, sometimes with friends, once alone, and was never disappointed. Prices are very reasonable, A main course, desert and a small Bintang were around $10 AUD. A special which isn't on the menu but which she agreed I could tell you about on tripadvisor, is a smoked duck meal which has to be ordered the day before because of the long preparation and smoking time. She served it for me with a number of delicious side dishes, like a little banquet, all for around $20AUD.
This is only a small place and I think only open in the evening so best to book ahead.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ryansobol, son of the owners at Putu's Wild Ginger, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for the review!
Sydney, Australia
“Indonesian food at its best (with wonderful atmosphere)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Instantly loved the ambience - 2 hosts with such a beautiful energy - and the whole place infused with great vibes and a warm, welcoming feeling!
And as far as inexpensive and value for money - it ticks those boxes too.

Travelling alone, alas I could only really order 1 main off the menu, so I chose the Ayam Goreng Kecap - the house special chicken. I tried
to order a second dish (because I wanted to try everything), but Putu saved me from myself, warning me it would be too much food (guidance I very much appreciated).
Determined to try something else off the menu, I decided to whet the appetite with the guacamole starter. I usually find guacamole underwhelming, but this was quite delicious, with a lovely after-taste.
And then my chicken arrived - oh my lord! A taste sensation!!
I want to come back and try it again (and again), but I need to try everything else on the menu too!

For drinks, first I chose the Ginger Fizz. Deliciously refreshing and tasty house blend! Then I had a bintang - served just as I like it: as icey-cold as can be in an icey-cold frosty glass!

Again travelling alone, I'm always saddened by the lack of wifi (somehow have to amuse myself offline) , but appreciated the unobtrusive, soothing music in the background, which together with the sound of the water-feature, created a wonderfully zen atmosphere. (And the owner informed me wifi is on it's way - yipppee!)
And speaking of the owner, Nyoman is THE perfect host, so genuinely warm and wonderful - I enjoyed my chat with him every bit as much as I enjoyed the delectable food!

This place - IMHO - represents the real Ubud, the real Bali, not only delicious food for the stomach, but food for the soul.

1 Thank Fris B
Thank you for the kind words!
“Average resturant in ubud”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We went here after checking out trip advisor reviews so I must admit I expected more. The owners were lovely, super friendly, the prices were good, and the food was fine, but nothing like the reviews suggest. And as for needing a reservation, we were the only ones there! (November). We have had some fantastic food in some amazing locations so far in Bali, this just wasn't one of them. I wouldn't go out of my way to get there, but if your walking past and your hungry, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.