“Super cute warung on a quiet street, amazing food”
Review of Putu's Wild Ginger

Putu's Wild Ginger
Ranked #38 of 870 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Indonesian, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Putu's Wild Ginger is built out of love. Love that Putu and her husband, Nyoman, want to share with you. If you're coming through Ubud, swing by for the best home-cooked meal on the island. Reservations (by phone or email) strongly recommended. Please give 24 hours notice if you'd like to try Putu's famous smoked duck feast.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I think this might be my favorite warung in Ubud, which I realize is an incredibly bold statement to make. The adorable name suggests an adorable restaurant, which does not disappoint. On a quiet street, this small spot has five beautiful, handmade tables, simple, but classy, decor, and some of the friendliest people you'll meet in Ubud. They were so gracious and thankful for my patronage that I was convinced the restaurant was hurting for business or advertising, but a quick glance on TripAdvisor reveals that, nope, they're actually a top-ten restaurant in Ubud. They're just that warm and welcoming.

The guacamole, which came with rice crackers and some thin fried potatoes, was excellent and even a little bit sweet, which I liked. The real treat though was the vegetarian nasi campur (green beans, fried egg, curry vegetables, tempeh, and tofu). The tofu and tempeh were covered in a sauce that was out of this world. It was similar to a smoky BBQ sauce, but that describes only half of the experience; the other half I don't even have words for. At this point, I don't even want to know what the sauce was because it would shatter the mystique.

Putu's was a truly wonderful experience in every sense and I can't recommend it enough.

1  Thank Kyle G
ryansobol, son of the owners at Putu's Wild Ginger, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. :)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Small restaurant with pleasant peaceful ambience, lovely people, and great food. The sweet potato chips were the best, the curry with Putu's special sauce was also very good. I read a recent review saying this restaurant was a disappointment because it was in a back street, on the road and didn't serve wine. There are many restaurants in the heart of town that offer this sort of deal but part of the appeal of this one is it's different. It has 5 tables and is quite intimate, it serves various juices, lassie and beer but no wine. The food is very fresh and different.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Visited on basis of TripAdvisor reviews and were very disappointed. Lovely local couple run the place and were very friendly. BUT its in a dark side street where every vehicle runs past your table. There are only five tables and when we went we were the only couple. I like wine and there was none on the menu (to be fair the owner did offer kindly to get a bottle for us), my wife is a vegetarian and did not enjoy what was offered. Mine was chicken based, was ok but a small portion. I ordered the special "Sandy" beer but did not get it.
Probably ok for Backpackers on s budget (it was our cheapest meal in Bali) but for anyone looking for a slightly more sophisticated meal I'd try other options.
Hate giving a negative review as they were lovely people.

ryansobol, son of the owners at Putu's Wild Ginger, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Oh, we're very sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. I'll speak to Putu about the service and food right away.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had dinner at Putu's and it was all together a wonderful experience. The sweet potato fries are excellent and we ended up ordering two portions. The drinks were really good and very refreshing. My Mie Goreng was probably the best I I had in Bali whilst the chicken in Putu's sauce was also fantastic. The meal was also excellent value, coming out to around 8 GBP total. This is a great intimate place with truly fantastic food. Highly recommended

ryansobol, son of the owners at Putu's Wild Ginger, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Hey, thanks for the review!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a surprising little place. Given the reviews we thought we would try it and we were not disappointed. Fantastic local feel, delicious food, great service and lovely owners. Tasty and simple meals that were full of flavour.
It is off the beaten track so you won't just stumble across Putu's Wild Ginger without having read these reviews.
For a meal as well as an experience I would highly recommend !

ryansobol, son of the owners at Putu's Wild Ginger, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Been to Putu's Wild Ginger? Share your experiences!