“Perfect!”

The Samaya Bali Ubud
Ranked #4 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the Samaya Ubud for 6 days with our daughter (3 years old). The Villas are amazing and we enjoyed the privacy of our own pool and garden a lot. The food is delicious and the view during breakfast unforgettable. What we enjoyed most is the great and super friendly manager and all the people working at the Samaya. Nothing seemed to much trouble and everybody has been exeptionally nice and helpful with a true smile. We did the complimentary hike trough the rice fields offered by the hotel and this should not be missed! It's been one of our highlights in Bali! We really appreciated the free shuttle service to and from Ubud City at anytime. The food at the restaurant is delicious and the tea time such a special treat. The Spa is amazing too! All in all it was quite simply the best hotel we've ever stayed in and will not be forgotten.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank cmarieann
Write a ReviewReviews (1,312)

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have recently spent two nights at the Samaya Ubud. It's great resort in Sayan, overlook Sayan Anyung river, rice field, and volcanos in the far distance. The resort is only two year old, so everything is clean and nice. The bathroom is huge and outside shower is very enjoyable. The villa is spacious, the service is very kind. The breakfast in the villa each morning is very enjoyable. The dinner at river side is excellent and I tried Indonesian way (use my right hand) to eat my duck and rice. I have stayed at Four Seasons nearby last time and I recommend Samaya over FS because Samaya is more personal and great value. The resort manager Wayan Suambara is very helpful and friendly. Samaya is definitely on my top list of Ubud resorts.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Xihuanbalidao
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent 3 nights at The Samaya, Ubud, with our children aged 11 and 15. We had the most stunning villas, with a pool between them and absoltue privacy and security. Each villa had a stunning spa bathroom complete with TV and airconditioning.!!! The staff were superb and knew us and our children by name. Breakfasts were amazing "picnics" delivered to us by the pool or in the restaurant. There was no chance of the kids being bored as there are so many activities close by, and we also made use of the amazing spa salon. My daughter and I for nail treatments, my partner and son for some massage on their aching bones!!!. The Samaya has a shuttle service that runs you into Ubud and back on request. We ate at the resort restaurant Swept Away and it too was faultless... stay tuned for our review!!!!! Thankyou Samaya..pure bliss!!!!

Room Tip: Villas side by side were extremely secluded and secure.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Thetrogs
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Everything about the Samaya was just absolutely amazing , from our very first welcome to the gorgeous villa with private pool and daybed and a garden area big enough to practice my daily yoga in . Everyone from the hotel manager to the housekeeping staff treated us like their family ; well a royal family ! We really did feel like royalty there , so much so that we extended our holiday from 7 days to 14 . I dont think I've ever seen so many people smiling whilst going about their work in one place , ever. I felt a little ill one day , a doctor was called in and was accompanied by the assistant manager , special Balinese drinks were sent to me and all the staff showed their concern and care for me in a way which was extremely touching . All in all it was quite simply the best resort/ hotel we've ever stayed in , and we are already planning another visit very soon . Our feet haven't quite touched the ground yet , that's how special Wayan and his team made us feel :-) amazing

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Angela6464
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in a hillside villa. Since this was the third time I have been to Ubud, I feel like I can make an honest assessment of this hotel. I actually agree to most points of the previous reviewer:

1) The physical location and hardware of this hotel is incredible (The villa setup, the privacy, the serene view of the valley and the river, the shuttle bus service, etc)
2) The staff members were all very very friendly, kind and polite (to the point where it occasionally got annoying)
3) However, the staff members (with the exception of the GM and front desk manager) in general did not speak English very well. They were capable of making standardized chit-chat with you, but should you have a real question/problem that needed to be solved, they were unable to provide actual assistance. (In those cases, I just called the front desk directly)

So it was kind of annoying at times. But to be fair, I find this to be a problem in a lot of the so-called high-end hotels in South-East Asia. Once when we were checking out at the Four Seasons Jakarta, the reception could not add/subtract our bills correctly, even with the aid of a calculator! My husband had to walk her step-by step-through the maths! At least at the Samaya Bali, there was a very capable front desk manager who could solve your problems. (i.e. When we checked-in, we asked for afternoon tea in-villa at 3pm with one of the bellboy, but it never came, so I just called the front desk. Problem solved.)

On a side note, the quality of the restaurant was very high at this property. We ate out a lot last time in Ubud, and we thought the Samaya Bali on-site restaurant was much better in quality than most off-site restaurants in town (well, except Ibu-Oka, but that's a local lunch spot, not a proper restaurant). We ate all of our dinners on-site this time and we were very happy with the food quality.

Still a great place to stay, just manage your expectation correctly.

FYI - Ubud in generally has colder climate than the coast. We stayed twice in the summer and both times it was too cold to swim in Ubud (I come from Hong Kong, so I can't swim in non-tropical weather), however by the coast at Seminyak we find swimming possible both times.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed 2 days at the Samaya in Ubud and it was really great.
The staff is very helpful and tries to satisfy all needs of the customers.
We had afternoon tea and dinner at the hotels restaurant very beautifully at the river. It is excellent. Please try the typical regional menu. The Balinese desert is most delicious. Also the Spa and the breakfast do not leave anything open.
If you do not want to walk the steep hill, the golf cars will arrive immediately to pick you up. They have a transfer service to the City Center of Ubud, which is very convenient.
The hotel also offers guided bicycle tours. We would recommend to join these. It is a very nice experience to drive through the rice fields and also to meet some local people together with the guide. At our tour nobody else but our self joined.
The Villa itself and also the private pool has seen some better days. Pool tiles were not immaculate.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

When we come to Ubud we are looking for a relaxing peaceful stay with gorgeous views on rice fields and delicious foods. Well this time we almost got. It was our first time stay at Samaya in Ubud.It is located on the hill by the river about 15 minutes away by a shuttle from Ubud central bus station. My main disappointment was that we did not get the view. Well there are only two or three rooms that get the rice fields views there, the ones are up on the hill. Originally we booked a standard villa, but when arrived were offered an"upgrade" for extra $ to an identical villa, but on the river. I don't know how and why but we agreed to that. The villa was a great size for two, had private pool and breakfast and lounge areas and the river. What i liked the most was our bathroom. It had nice jacuzzi and was done in zen style with an inside little garden like. The bed size we had a little problem with, it was too short for my boyfriend and he is not even a really tall kind of guy. We did a bike tour with a hotel crew member and it was perfect. The staff sure was eager to help, but to my taste it was just too much. I mean it starts in the morning when every gardener asks you how are you enjoying your vacation time and what are your plans for today ...etc. Than when you get a buggy to go up the hill to get a breakfast or to get to a reception the driver asks the same questions, than the same three questions at the lobby and than when you get in the shuttle bus the driver does it again! They do it so nicely , so you feel obligated to answer them and carry on a conversation. But the truth is most of them do not speak any English and after asking those three standard questions they can not answer any of yours. And every single day was the same thing with this pointless conversation stuff. But when we needed something they should do something like a money exchange, they would not do it saying their cash register is closed or something. And than the shuttle bus driver could not explain where we can safely exchange our money in town or even point us in the right direction. We also tried their restaurant . The meal was good, drinks were ok and again the same problem with the service. They brought us our appetizers and in couple of minutes were asking how was it while we did not even get served our silverware. The management needs to stop training their employes how to be nice, they are nice already by their nature. They need to train them how to serve guests at a 5 star hotel and resort.

Room Tip: Only two rooms has rice fields views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple