“A special place in my heart”

and 1 more site!
Nirwa Ubud Homestay
Ranked #13 of 654 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2014

because it is a simple place to just be, be yourself and to experience the warmth and thoughtfulness of the owners/caretakers/hosts, Made and Ayu. This is a place to experience the simplicity of life, to be away from the city, to appreciate the breathtaking view of the rice fields and to indulge in sounds emanating from its locale. Made and Ayu are truly generous and accommodative with stories to tell, great sense of humor and open mindedness to surprises presented at them by their travelers. They are adaptable and flexible to changes about reservations, delayed flight arrivals and even payments. ☺ THIS IS NOT a fancy or a hoity-toity type of place to relax and to be served like hedons. However, Ayu and Made prepare fantastic breakfast with lots of fresh fruits every morning. CAVEATS: this is not a place to arrive after dark (with your luggage) as it is a trek and an adventure to get to Nirwa; not a place to be rambunctious as the bedroom walls are thin and everything is audible; not a place to expect fancy towels and bedsheets. This is a simple place with warm hearted owners.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This beautiful homestay is situated above the main Ubud market near the rice fields. The air is nice and cool at night and the surroundings are quiet save for the sounds of frogs, geckos, and insects. Just a short walk done a hill after a lovely breakfast brings you to the main Ubud market. Made and Ayu are gracious hosts and attentive to the needs of guests. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Ubud.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank buchenberg
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We very much appreciated Ayu and Made's warmth, hospitality and sense of humour during our five nights' stay. The location is idyllic, with great views across the rice paddies. Nirwa is an easy 5 minute walk from Ubud's main street, and the room was clean and comfortable. As others have noted, Ayu's banana leaf pancakes are delicious (and the other items on the breakfast menu are very tasty, too). We'd definitely stay here again, and highly recommend Nirwa to friends traveling to Ubud!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PedroNess
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I booked it through after looking the reviews in Trip Adviser and was not disappointed at all. It is an awesome place with a great Race Field view. Its calm, quite and totally relaxing. The owners (Made, Ayu, and Alit) are wonderful people. The breakfast made by Ayu is superb, everyone talks about the awesome world famous Pancakes made by Ayu, please do try the noodle soup as well, its very very good. Its a great location for people who wants to relax and enjoy.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. but try to get room in the 1st floor. And you need to book early for that.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rakeshpanigrahi
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Truly a home away from home- I was traveling solo and never felt alone here- their courtyard and morning breaskfast provide great chances to meet other travellers if one wishes. The courtyard is very social but meanwhile giving enough personal space. Ayu and Made treated me like family and cooked me dinner when I arrived in Ubud late at night. Made a few friends even for my short stay of 3 nights.

Location-wise you get the best of both worlds, 5min walk from ubud main street( a bit dark at night) and rice fields right in front of the bungalows! Save the money from rice paddies cycling tour and spend it on the organize cafe or yoga place nearby(overlooking rice paddies again). You can easily spend a week or more here chilling out without getting bored.

Typing this at Sama's Cottages(which is like a hotel and has a pool) as Nirwa is booked out. I have to say I'm missing nirwa already. Their room is much bigger, one feels a better connection with nature and what's more their social courtyard. I'm not enjoying my own individual courtyard here because there's no one in sight and the light is pale white...i would highly recommend individual travellers to stay at Nirwa. Homestay is the place to meet people and learn about local living. Will for sure cone back again!!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Yan.rachel
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We started off with a reservation for three nights, but ended up extending it to nine after we arrived. Made and Ayu (the owners) are super friendly and have a great sense of humor. They welcomed us with hospitality and warmth. We also enjoyed the fact that the place was a bit back from all the noise- it was a perfect combination, being close to the rice fields (you can literally go out the back gate, and you're there) and to town (about 10 minutes to the palace). The banana pancakes were so good in the morning that we didn't have anything else. Only advice would be to try and bargain if you're coming in the low season- we did, but I suspect we could have gotten a lower rate had I tried a little harder.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at Nirwa way back in October, but the stay was so wonderful and memorable I just had to write about it.

Really, Made and Ayu make the whole stay absolutely wonderful. They are truly kind people with good hearts that wish for nothing but for you to have a pleasant stay at their home. They are always willing and happy to teach you about Balinese culture, and although that was not my intent when coming to Bali, I was surprised to find just how much more I wanted to learn. As soon as I set foot in the homestay, Made offered to take us to a cremation (a huge celebration) in Bali, which was really a once in a lifetime experience.

The bungalow I stayed in looked out to a stretch of beautiful, green rice fields. The room was clean and tidy, and the outside patio with couch and table was my little corner to cuddle up with a laptop or read a book.

Ayu's famous banana leaf pancakes are also as good as everyone advertises them to be. She makes them fresh everyday and they're absolutely delicious. Her other breakfast items also taste great, and she's willing to make breakfast for you at any time, whether you have an early or late departure.

Location is also good. Ubud can be a loud and noisy place with all of the development in tourism, but Nirwa's is tucked away in a rice field behind the main road, so it's the perfect combination of 'downtown' and 'getting away from it all.'

I'm so happy I found this place, and next time I go to Bali I am DEFINITELY coming back.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor bungalow has the best room, I'm told. I opted for the cheaper bungalow, but if yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your kind review of Nirwa ubud homestay We are so pleased to host you in Ubud in between your many travels to other Indonesian islands.
We happy to sharing our culture to another guest , to see cremation that time was new experience for the guest , i want our guest not loss the moment , because cremation like that big is very is special .

i am happy too you enjoy our breakfast menu . i always to tray to be nice host
we always have to learn .to makes every body happy ,

We hope to see you again in the future on yet another one of your exciting journeys!

All the best,