“Felt Like Home”

Nirwa Ubud Homestay
Ranked #13 of 638 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at Nirwa way back in October, but the stay was so wonderful and memorable I just had to write about it.

Really, Made and Ayu make the whole stay absolutely wonderful. They are truly kind people with good hearts that wish for nothing but for you to have a pleasant stay at their home. They are always willing and happy to teach you about Balinese culture, and although that was not my intent when coming to Bali, I was surprised to find just how much more I wanted to learn. As soon as I set foot in the homestay, Made offered to take us to a cremation (a huge celebration) in Bali, which was really a once in a lifetime experience.

The bungalow I stayed in looked out to a stretch of beautiful, green rice fields. The room was clean and tidy, and the outside patio with couch and table was my little corner to cuddle up with a laptop or read a book.

Ayu's famous banana leaf pancakes are also as good as everyone advertises them to be. She makes them fresh everyday and they're absolutely delicious. Her other breakfast items also taste great, and she's willing to make breakfast for you at any time, whether you have an early or late departure.

Location is also good. Ubud can be a loud and noisy place with all of the development in tourism, but Nirwa's is tucked away in a rice field behind the main road, so it's the perfect combination of 'downtown' and 'getting away from it all.'

I'm so happy I found this place, and next time I go to Bali I am DEFINITELY coming back.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor bungalow has the best room, I'm told. I opted for the cheaper bungalow, but if yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your kind review of Nirwa ubud homestay We are so pleased to host you in Ubud in between your many travels to other Indonesian islands.
We happy to sharing our culture to another guest , to see cremation that time was new experience for the guest , i want our guest not loss the moment , because cremation like that big is very is special .

i am happy too you enjoy our breakfast menu . i always to tray to be nice host
we always have to learn .to makes every body happy ,

We hope to see you again in the future on yet another one of your exciting journeys!

All the best,
made / ayu

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We booked this place by looking on tripadvisor and felt it would be a perfect place to stay in Ubud: nice feeling and close to town, as advertised.

We were a little disappointed for a few reasons. The room was overpriced for what we got. It had a ceiling fan that was not above the bed, a bathroom that was very aged and the whole place just looks like it needs a lot of maintenance. The bed was not very comfortable and the temperature was quite warm at night. Also, the wifi does not reach the rooms and many times we had to ask for it to be turned on.

Also, be careful with the price. They go by USD, even though this is Indonesia. I don't think guests should have to pay based on another country's currency, especially as Indonesia's is so volatile. We were surprised by the price and it changed twice between our time of booking and our payment.

It is also a bit of a walk to town. We drove in on motorbikes and had no idea we would have to guide the bikes down a long and very narrow path that hung over a stream. It was tough to do. It is also not lit at night, so make sure you bring a torch that is provided by the door.

There were some things we liked. Breakfast was good and the views of the rice paddies were beautiful. The area is very quiet in the morning, no roosters or dogs barking. The garden is very pretty and the owners are nice. You can do some nice walking in The rice fields. We just felt that for the price and the rating, it fell short in a lot of ways. Definitely shop around when you get to Ubud or before.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alliviet
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Thanks for your review , i am sorry you not have good time stay with us .
from beginning when you booking the room , i mention the prices in $ USD.
that not true over prices , i give to you only 24 $ / night including breakfast ,tax, for 2 person , normal rate is 27 $ / night . why i use USD for our rate ,if i put in Rupiah is sound to much , Indonesia money to much zero .

i have to follow the exchange rate which they change every day . if the exchange rate going down , you will pay less ,
i thing is very common / normal the guest house use the rate in USD
I dont thing so i change your room rate , [ i still have your invoice]

for the road is bit small to our place , but our located in the rice field not possible for me to makes big road . i happy is small road so the car cannt coming , / less pollution. i happy that you still enjoy our breakfast , and your enjoy the beautiful view from our place , hope to see for next visit .

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Run by a really friendly and warm family, Made and Ayu made the stay at Nirwa Homestay an unforgettable one! With beautiful paddy field view just right next to the stay, and very much secluded from the busy street of Ubud, it is definitely one good place to rest and relax.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thanks for your time to sheering your experience on trip advisor ,
We are so glad you enjoyed our wonderful rice field views and the home cooked breakfasts each morning. , our located in country side & rice field , good thing is the place the place is away from ubud busy , but still easy going to ubud center .

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Very good and clean homestay with beautiful view on the ricefields.
Made & Ayu are nice people and you will have a pleasant stay. Excellent breakfast. The rooms upstairs with balcony are very spacieus. We also did a very nice tour with Made to Jatiluweh.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank DijkstraPaysBas

Dear Anita
Thanks for your time to sheering your experience on trip advisor , i glad that you have good time during to stay with us for 20 day . i all so happy you have good time during the tour to rice terrace / jati luwih , hope next time you visit bali you can stay with us again . always remember made van den berg .

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I recently spent 3 days/2 nights at the Nirwa Homestay which is run by Made and Ayu. I could not have picked a better place to stay. Ubud itself was a bit busier/touristy than I expected so staying at Nirwa Homestay was perfect due it's location. It's off the main street a bit and hidden back in the rice fields that surround the town. I was able to go for a walk in the morning through the fields on a small path and just soak up the beautiful scenery....so peaceful. I really enjoyed spending time talking with Made and Ayu at breakfast and throughout the day. They are a really sweet couple who care very much about their guests and want to make your stay here very enjoyable. I was very thankful to both of them on my last day day there when I became ill but had already checked out of my room while waiting for the evening bus to the airport. They prepared a bed for me, provided water, and took care of getting me a shuttle to the bus station so I wouldn't have to walk. They really went above and beyond to take care of me which speaks volumes about their character.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Greg Caroll
Thank for your time to sheering your experience on tripadvisor , i really appreciate your time .
i so happy that you have good time during you stay with us , i always tray to make our guest stay fell comfortable . thanks again hope one day you back to bali & stay with us again

Reviewed January 8, 2014

By far the best homestay I could have come across in Ubud. Just out of town a few minutes walk down a path into the magical rice paddies Nirwa homestay welcomes all travellers with there beautiful hospitality and owners Made, Ayu and son Alit. I went back to this place twice as nothing else compared or even felt as close to the comfort offered here while travelling. Made is hilarious and a great badminton player at the least! Ayu is a mother to all and makes the best pancakes and fruit salads. All willing to help, full of information and insight to the beautiful surroundings.. I suggest for everyone to visit and make a few nights (or few weeks even !!) stay at this humble, clean and well organised homestay. Best vibes Nirwa, thankyou !!! x x x

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful, clean and great views of the rice paddies
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Bethany allison
Thanks for your nice review for Nirwa ubud home stay , i really appreciate your time
to share your experience on trip advisor .
I always to tray to do my best to our guest , i happy that you have good time during to stay with us , i am not good badminton player , i do just for fun , to make body sweet , . Thanks again for your kinds review , hope next time we meet again

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have just returned from 20 days staying at Nirwa Homestay in Ubud. What a little piece of paradise. So tranquil amongst the rice fields, 10 minute walk to Organic Sari and an awesome massage place 5 mins away (Nur).
The WiFi worked relentlessly as I had to do some work whilst I was there - fast and consistent.

I met some really great travellers too that also came across Nirwa on Trip Advisor.

Was collected from the airport, cared for by Madde, Ayu and their son Alit. They made me feel really welcome. I felt very safe there.

Breakfast was divine - the best pancakes and yummy fruit juices ever. Rooms were spotless and bedding and towels changed and aired very often.

Did a 7 day juicing fast whilst there - delivered every day to the homestay (juices/cocconut/broth) - the best venue to relax, explore the rice fields and just "be".

I left yesterday to return home and a piece of my heart has been left behind. Thanks to the family.

Room Tip: I loved Room 1 - but dont want to share with you all :) Great view from the Bathroom window The bun...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Ruth

Thanks for your kinds review for nirwa ubud homestay
Made & ayu will appreciate so much for your time to write review
I happy during you stay you have good time , even you come to bali many time
you still enjoy bali very much , thank s for kept coming to Bali , ALL good ,is that always you say when you wake up , Thanks again ,, hope we meet again for next time / holiday .