“Great experience”

Ranked #15 of 536 Ubud B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great experience”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

The staff was unusually friendly and helpful. We had a late flight out and were offered their personal bathroom and shower to use after a day running around ubud. The pancakes were very good, probably the best we'd had around bali. The rooms are simple with no A/C (the fan made up for it just fine) but it is a homestay after all and the point is to experience the Balinese lifestyle.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank RyanRG
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Ryan , thanks for stay with us in nirwa ubud homestay , and share your experience on TripAdvisor , .i am glad you good experience during to stay with us ,
hope to see you for next your visit .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Gunnison, Colorado
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed in the same bungalow mentioned in the more negative review below. We had a different experience, but may have also had different expectations. We enjoyed it, including the local gecko that cleared out the bugs at night. We did not find excessive ants and when some invaded the bathroom one day, the owners took care of it. The place has a rustic beauty and we loved being 100-150 meters from the main road on the edge of the rice paddies as one of the major trails on the rice paddies began at Nirwa's backdoor. The small organic restaurant 10 minutes into the walk was a real find! There are two restaurants and we recommend going to the second one associated with the organic farm.
Ayu, Made and their son were great hosts. We received excellent recommendations for low costs but high quality experiences such as whitewater rafting, kecak and fire dance shows, and spas. Ayu also took the time to explain her morning offerings to me and a little about her spiritual culture which is very present at the homestay. We would happily stay in the bungalow again if we return to Ubud. If you enjoy staying with families, slightly more rustic lodging, etc., I think you will like it too. The bungalow does have a few steep stairs into their bathroom. If you have mobility challenges, you may want to request a different room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Y1964oung
Dear Jessica young ,thanks for your time to write review to Nirwa ubud homestay for share your experience on trip advisor , we will glad to share our culture with other guest ,
we tray to be nice host for all our guest , i am glad that you have nice day during to stay with us , hope to see for next .
London
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We were so excited to stay here after reading the reviews, and having experienced great homestays around S.E Asia previously, we thought we couldn't go wrong. Unfortunately our experience was not a great one.

Pros:
-great location by paddy fields, beautiful views
-near to a lovely walk to Sari Organik restaurant (recommend!).
-away from tourist central Ubud, peaceful grounds.
-lovely green banana pancakes for breakfast.
-organised tours available

Cons:
-the homestay is accessed via a 5/10 minute uneven pathway that runs alongside a canal. At night the pathway is not lit, making it tricky to navigate, especially for anyone slightly older or with kids.
-no air con. A lot of places say air con is not needed in Ubud. We struggled to understand this. It was uncomfortably hot at night.
-our bathroom (bungalow room) was the worst we have experienced in 6 months of S.E. Asia. We did mention it and asked to move rooms but were told nothing else was available (still not sure if this was the case). It was crawling with large ants everywhere, and was absolutely filthy. We dreaded going in there. The large open grill and rough finished tap sockets left gaping holes for everything to climb in. I understand we were in the countryside so ants may occur, but there are things that could have been done to reduce them. And there was no excuse for the grime and filth that was present.
-we bought a bottle of wine one evening to have on the balcony, and asked for one glass. We were refused a glass and given a mug instead and told that a 'mug is fine for wine', even though there was a row of glasses in the kitchen.

All in all we were upset to not have experienced what everyone else appears to have experienced. And the state of our bathroom meant we looked forward to leaving, sorry.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank seblondon1
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thanks for your review to Nirwa Ubud homestay , i am sorry if you not have nice time during to stay with us in Nirwa ubud Homestay ., during that time our light in the street was short circuit , from beginning when you booking our room no AIR con , only few Guest say this hot in the night and inconvenient , most people is fine with fan is ubud have cold climate . when you are here ,that you ask change the room honestly we dont have free room , if we did i will give to you ,
what i thing i give you Bungalow with double & single Bed because you 2 women , if you dont want sleep together , you still have you own bed , but i am wrong .
the bungalow is balinese house of course his different from Other country [ the style ] ,
about the ant every where is not true , we clean the room every day ,after you leaved is another 2 couple American used that room every guest i asking , there are fine .
about the glass you asking , i am sorry , i dont know that you have drink wine , i think you just need for drink water . for some people / guest they dont mind i give mug or glass for drink, but for you is problem , now we have to learn again .[ when you ask for the glass you dont say for the wine . we need critic and advise to makes better quality service for the guest , but some time hard to make happy for every body , as the guest coming from different country and different background , , and different expectation but i tray to understand . all the best . nirwa ubud home stay .

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Hello Mr Chang!
Perfect place to stay in Ubud...away from the busy streets and a beautiful walk out the back gate to a rice field paradise.
Super Hosts...GREAT breakfast , good clean big rooms...and so queit and peaceful.

Nice for lazy days , reading .walking...etc.

Mr Made Chang brought me on a tour to the rice paddies and it was all good.

Picked me up from Canngu and brought me back to Kuta for my flight.

Someday I shall return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for your time to write review to tripadvisor for Nirwa Ubud home stay
i am so happy that you enjoy , and have good time during to stay with us , all so i am happy you have good time for our tour , hope to see you next you visit ,
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had such a lovely stay at Nirwa last month when I was in Ubud. Made and Ayu are so sweet, and always helpful. I felt I was able to make a genuine friendship with them while staying there, and was so grateful for their open-heartedness and warmth. We had some very pleasant conversations, and I was happy to be able to practice my bahasa Indonesia with them (they enjoyed correcting my mistakes - ha ha!). And, as everyone else attests to, the breakfasts were delicious, the rooms and house are beautiful, spacious, clean and scenic. A very peaceful place to stay within easy walking distance of all the bustle of downtown Ubud.

When I return to Ubud again in the future I will definitely be staying with Made and Ayu again. The atmosphere of their homestay was so friendly, warm and comfortable. And I enjoyed meeting other guests and making new friendships with them as well. This place seemed to breed friendliness. I only have good things to say about Nirwa and would recommend them to anyone traveling through Bali.

Room Tip: there are only four rooms as well as two slightly larger bungalows. I actually stayed in three of th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thanks for your review for nirwa ubud homestay , i am happy that you have good time during to stay with us in Nirwa , we always open our friendship for all our guest .
when you back to nirwa we can study bahasa again , than i can practice my English more ,
so we can change , hope to see you for next your visit , i hope you have good time during doing study in jogja . all the best
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My recent 8-day visit to Nirwa Homestay in Ubud in March 2013 was a delight. My stay was arranged around Nyepi, the special Balinese New Year celebration. My preliminary communications were all made via the internet but, gratefully, none of the details of my visit were lost in translation. My flight arrival from Kuala Lumpur, scheduled late evening to begin with, was delayed by 1 ½ hours. Nevertheless, my Nirwa hosts were still patiently awaiting my arrival at the Denpasar airport when I arrived at 10:45 pm and drove me to their homestay location in Ubud, which took another hour.

Ayu and Made, the married couple who are the owners and managers of the homestay, make gracious hosts – readily present and helpful whenever my logistical questions required answers or recommendations were sought. I took just one “official tour” during my stay, together with two other guests, which was organized by my homestay hosts. Made was our driver and guide for the day. It was a fascinating and exceptionally well planned day of temple visits and scenic touring – we ran at our own pace but whenever we gave the thumbs-up sign to see one more sight, our desires were immediately accommodated.

Both Ayu and Made are adept at cooking, breakfasts are tasty, and provide a great start to your day of adventuring.

The Nirwa Homestay is situated amidst rice paddies reached via a pathway alongside a small stream. It is about a five-ten minute walk from one of Ubud’s main roads. The surroundings provide a sense of peace and tranquility, and a welcome respite from the steady hum of Ubud. One can easily recharge before once again setting out to continue exploration of the shops and cultural attractions of Ubud.

The rooms are basic but comfortable – clean beds, linens changed every day, hot and cold water, and a ceiling fan to allay the heat. The Wi-Fi worked efficiently throughout my stay.

I found that the homestay attracted a fascinating array of guests – friendly, well-traveled, and diverse of background and purpose of travel. Ayu and Made take personal interest in each of their guests and you will often find them visiting, assisting, or worrying until all of the guests have returned safely to their rooms at night.

I enjoyed the wide array of activities within walking distance of the homestay including evening cultural dances and programs, museums, restaurants, small grocers, shops and walking trails. As a result, I relied solely upon walking during my stay in Ubud. My experience was wonderful and I recommend the Nirwa Homestay to anyone planning to visit and explore the Ubud area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank OasisA
Thanks so much for your nice review to nirwa ubud homestay , i appreciate so much for your time to write review , i am happy that you have good time during to stay with us in Nirwa . specialy during Nyepi [ Balinese new year ] not much we can say , just thanks again
Thanks for taking tour with made by nirwa , hope to see you for next visit .
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed March 28, 2013

What a perfect introduction to Bali! Ubud (and the Nirwa homestay) was my first stop in Indonesia and really set the tone for the rest of my trip. Made, Ayu, and their son, Alit, were such wonderful hosts. From the moment Made picked me up at the airport (with a bottle of water in hand) to the moment he saw me off and into a bemo, this family really took care of me!

The property is gorgeous, a typical Balinese compound -- just off the beaten path, but only a 5-min walk to the main strip (Jl Raya Ubud). Very calm, peaceful, tranquil atmosphere. Rooms are clean (but don't leave food out in the open unless you're hoping for ants), spacious, and the ceiling fan is perfect during the cool nights. Wi-fi is reliable. Tip: The room with the best view is on the 2nd floor, the far side from the staircase, overlooking the rice paddy fields. Book in advance!

I originally booked for 2 nights and ended up staying for 6. And had Ayu's banana pancakes with lime and honey every morning for breakfast (yes, it's That good).

Thanks again to Made and Ayu for a fantastic stay. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ihno29
Thanks ihno for write review to Nirwa ubud home stay , i am really appreciate so much for your time , i happy that you have good time during to stay with us in Nirwa .
our family will take care all the guest during they in our house . i wish you can stay with us again for next your visit .