“Visiting Ubud during Nyepi”

Nirwa Ubud Homestay
Ranked #10 of 666 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My recent 8-day visit to Nirwa Homestay in Ubud in March 2013 was a delight. My stay was arranged around Nyepi, the special Balinese New Year celebration. My preliminary communications were all made via the internet but, gratefully, none of the details of my visit were lost in translation. My flight arrival from Kuala Lumpur, scheduled late evening to begin with, was delayed by 1 ½ hours. Nevertheless, my Nirwa hosts were still patiently awaiting my arrival at the Denpasar airport when I arrived at 10:45 pm and drove me to their homestay location in Ubud, which took another hour.

Ayu and Made, the married couple who are the owners and managers of the homestay, make gracious hosts – readily present and helpful whenever my logistical questions required answers or recommendations were sought. I took just one “official tour” during my stay, together with two other guests, which was organized by my homestay hosts. Made was our driver and guide for the day. It was a fascinating and exceptionally well planned day of temple visits and scenic touring – we ran at our own pace but whenever we gave the thumbs-up sign to see one more sight, our desires were immediately accommodated.

Both Ayu and Made are adept at cooking, breakfasts are tasty, and provide a great start to your day of adventuring.

The Nirwa Homestay is situated amidst rice paddies reached via a pathway alongside a small stream. It is about a five-ten minute walk from one of Ubud’s main roads. The surroundings provide a sense of peace and tranquility, and a welcome respite from the steady hum of Ubud. One can easily recharge before once again setting out to continue exploration of the shops and cultural attractions of Ubud.

The rooms are basic but comfortable – clean beds, linens changed every day, hot and cold water, and a ceiling fan to allay the heat. The Wi-Fi worked efficiently throughout my stay.

I found that the homestay attracted a fascinating array of guests – friendly, well-traveled, and diverse of background and purpose of travel. Ayu and Made take personal interest in each of their guests and you will often find them visiting, assisting, or worrying until all of the guests have returned safely to their rooms at night.

I enjoyed the wide array of activities within walking distance of the homestay including evening cultural dances and programs, museums, restaurants, small grocers, shops and walking trails. As a result, I relied solely upon walking during my stay in Ubud. My experience was wonderful and I recommend the Nirwa Homestay to anyone planning to visit and explore the Ubud area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank OasisA
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thanks so much for your nice review to nirwa ubud homestay , i appreciate so much for your time to write review , i am happy that you have good time during to stay with us in Nirwa . specialy during Nyepi [ Balinese new year ] not much we can say , just thanks again
Thanks for taking tour with made by nirwa , hope to see you for next visit .

Reviewed March 28, 2013

What a perfect introduction to Bali! Ubud (and the Nirwa homestay) was my first stop in Indonesia and really set the tone for the rest of my trip. Made, Ayu, and their son, Alit, were such wonderful hosts. From the moment Made picked me up at the airport (with a bottle of water in hand) to the moment he saw me off and into a bemo, this family really took care of me!

The property is gorgeous, a typical Balinese compound -- just off the beaten path, but only a 5-min walk to the main strip (Jl Raya Ubud). Very calm, peaceful, tranquil atmosphere. Rooms are clean (but don't leave food out in the open unless you're hoping for ants), spacious, and the ceiling fan is perfect during the cool nights. Wi-fi is reliable. Tip: The room with the best view is on the 2nd floor, the far side from the staircase, overlooking the rice paddy fields. Book in advance!

I originally booked for 2 nights and ended up staying for 6. And had Ayu's banana pancakes with lime and honey every morning for breakfast (yes, it's That good).

Thanks again to Made and Ayu for a fantastic stay. I'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ihno29

Thanks ihno for write review to Nirwa ubud home stay , i am really appreciate so much for your time , i happy that you have good time during to stay with us in Nirwa .
our family will take care all the guest during they in our house . i wish you can stay with us again for next your visit .

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed for 11 nights at this lovely homestay in Ubud, and loved every single second of it. The place is owned by a charming family, Made, Ayu and their son Alit, and they always made us feel at home. To get to the homestay from the main street (Jalan Raya Ubud) we had to walk a small path next to a stream that can be quite dark at night, but Made always provided a flashlight. The homestay is simply amazing; it is a Balinese compound in which every room has privacy and space. Our room (a bungalow) was very spacious and had incredible views of the rice fields; it was fully equipped with terrace with chairs, a bed with mosquito net, ceiling fan, two bed tables, electrical adaptors, dressing table and Wi-Fi connection. The bathroom was beautiful and very large; it had a closet, shower with hot water, sink, mirror and W.C. with bidet. Even though the room has no air conditioning, at night the fan is enough to get the room cool. The breakfast that Ayu made for us was so delicious; we loved the fact that they have a breakfast menu with different options, so you don't have to eat the same thing every day. The banana pancake was delicious, so as the fried and scrambled eggs with toast. We also loved the fruit juice and Balinese coffee with milk. We took two tours with Made and were great; we visited many attractions and had a great time talking to Made. A very important thing to us was that Made has a very good command of English, something rare in most Balinese homestays. We had a great time in Ubud, and Nirwa was one of the main reasons of it. We'll definetely go back soon. We miss you guys!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thanks for taking your time to write review for Nirwa ubud homestay , i glad that you have wonderful stay with us in Nirwa .i am appreciate so much . hope you have wonderful day , have nice memory for your holiday , enjoy your honeymoon , enjoy beautiful Bali.
hope to see for next your visit . all the best

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We found this little homestay last minute on tripadvisor. This is a decision my husband and i will forever treasure as we found our family in Bali. All the reviews are very true, Made&ayu and their son Alit will treat u as family from the moment you step in their traditional balinese compound till you are in Bali. We were given a room at the second floor with a beautiful ricefield view. Waking up every morning is such an exciting experience knowing your sorrounded with the stillness and calmness of the place. walking in the ricefields has been our daily morning ritual while we where here. Not to mention, the delicious breakfast everyday. Ayu's green banana pancake is to die for. On our first night ,my husband had a little accident with our rented motorbike on the way back to nirwa. It was a minor accident that involves a local lady being pushed on the side by the motorbike. Minor as it may seem but the thought that we are in a foreign land scared us to death. As we arebonly few meters away from nirwa, made and ayu came and took us home. We were assured that evrything is all right and as long as we are with them nothing will happen to us. Ayu even told me, " you are our family, we will protect you." i almost wanted to cry at that moment. They did talked to the lady and everything was settled without any drama.
On the following days Made has been our personal tour guide, showing us around ubud and telling us stories you will never find in any books. At night time after a long day of discovering ubud we will sit in their breakfast hall with the whole family and sip ayu's organic rose tea with the other lovely guests from different part of the world and share stories and laughters. This always left a
smile on our face as we retire to our room that has been cleaned daily.
As we had our previous reservation with a resort in Sayan,we only stayed with them for three nights. But their graciousness didnt stop when we bid goodbye from their homestay. First day in the resort Alit ( their son) delivered the famous bali smoked duck for our dinner with ayu's homecooked gado gado. Dont miss it, its very delicious. It doesnt end there still. On my birthday, Made and Ayu surprised us at the resort with a boquet of pink and red roses and a birthday cake. It was indeed a day i cherished, i felt like im celebrating my special day with my family.
Nirwa homestay as others said is not for those people seeking luxury but if your after memories and friendship you will treasure forever, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kharen L
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thanks for your review , take your time to write review , i am happy that you have good time during to stay with us in Nirwa ubud home stay , my pleasure to have you in our home stay , every guest how stay with us will part our family , during they stay with us , so my duty to give them protection . i am sorry about the accident that happen , to makes you not happy rent scooter , it is more difficult to write scooter when is narrow street .
thanks all so you come with made when the tour , hope to see you for next visit .

Reviewed March 5, 2013

It´s a little bit hard to find, before you go over the bridges, you have to turn right and then just follow the little river. Made and Ayu welcomed us really friendly (best hosts ever) and it seems that they don´t have check in/check out times. we arrived at 9.30am and we could move into our room immedatly! the rooms are quite big and basic, same with the bathrooms, but there´s everything you need and the surrounding is really beautiful, you have nice view from the terrace or balcony over the rice fields and there´s a backdoor where you can enter the ricefields and walk through! there´s also a walk (10-15mins) to Sari Organic (take a torch with you when you go there at night).It´s a really quiet location, but to the center of ubud it´s just a 5 min walk!
the rooms are 235.000INS (23$) for a double incl. breakfast (choice of 5 breakfasts+juice or fruit salad + coffe or tea).
You should definitely try the Banana or Pineapple-Pancake! It´s the best one i had and it´s green!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Silvia N
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thanks for take your time to write review for the Nirwa ubud homestay , i am appreciate so much for that .
for first time it difficult to find ,but after you been here so easy .that way when my guest check in i asking for the pick up ,
inpact our room rate is 25$ / day for ground floor , but in this time when answer your email
i just got cancellation , & i want to fill the room that way i give you with discount .
Thanks again for stay with us ,i am happy you have good time during you are here .
hope to see you for next visit .

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I too read about Nirwa on tripadvisor and decided to book my stay here. I can not say enough about the loveliness of Made and Ayu. They are both so sweet and accommodating. I felt very taken care of and surrounded by their warmth and the beauty of the surrounding rice fields. Such a sense of peace and rest inspired by Nirwa Homestay, an all encompassing beauty inside and out. The rooms are spacious and airy, clean and bright. The view is gorgeous. The breakfasts are delicious with many choices and the people I met who were also staying at Nirwa were quite lovely. Nirwa is also very close to the center of town but maintains a sense of calmness and serenity. I recommend Nirwa Homestay to anyone traveling to Ubud with no hesitation! Thank you Made and Ayu for your graciousness and accommodation. I am looking forward to visiting with you again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Miyung Kim
Thanks for your review to Nirwa ubud homestay , Thanks for choosing Nirwa to serve your holiday in Ubud bali .it, is my pleasure to have you in our homestay . i am happy that you have a good time during you stay in our home stay .it is a good idea / smart to use trip advisor to prepare for your travel.
hope to see you next your visit .

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had learned of Nirwa here on TripAdvisor and initially booked to stay for just four nights.

My wife, daughter and I ended up staying nearly two weeks here!

Made and Ayu, the owners and hosts - along with their son - made us feel right at home and took great care of us during our entire stay. They make you feel like family from the moment you arrive and make sure you know about places to visit, where and what to eat, and are quick to arrange transport as you need it.

(After our stay, we ended up renting a house nearby - and Made came by with a housewarming gift of Ayu's fried bananas the next day for us!)

The room we stayed in was basic, clean and comfortable. It's fan cooled and the bathroom / shower is the "wet" style - e.g., no separation of the shower area from the toilet. The room was cleaned and the bed and additional mattress they brought in for our daughter were made up every day by their very friendly and helpful staff Dewa.

As stated by previous reviewers, the included breakfasts are great and Ayu's special green banana pancakes are particularly delicious.

Ayu also got us a great deal on the local Bali smoked duck, which we had for dinner our second night. (Highly recommended.)

The entire guesthouse is basically a small enclosed compound in the middle of the ricefields just west of central Ubud. Like a scaled down version of a traditional Bali family compound.

Although it is very quiet and private at Nirwa, a fifteen minute walk brings you right into the middle of Ubud.

Also, you can trek for hours through the ricefields behind Nirwa for some really amazing experiences and views. (Don't miss the many artist studios that pop up in the middle of nowhere out there.)

During our stay we had wonderful time meeting and conversing with the other guests - the place has a wonderful vibe to it.

Please keep in mind, this is a low-key family guesthouse, not a hotel or resort. If you're the type of traveler who goes on package tours and expects everything to be brand new and to be waited on hand-and-foot, this is probably not for you.

If you're looking for a comfortable, friendly and inexpensive place that provides a real "local" experience to base yourself while visiting Ubud though, I can't imagine a better choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank NuclearNomad
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thanks for james & family for your review to Nirwa ubud homestay .
i am happy that you have good time during to stay with us , ,is my plesure to have you in Our place , all so i am happy that you tray smoke duck in bali ,is special bali food ,
some time when you are in bali, so you have to tray bali food , bali drink [ Jamu ]
you will get more experience. Thanks again being part of our family for 2 weeks , we hope you have nice stay in bali .