“Very different, rustic, secluded and charming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #282 of 620 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We stayed for 5 nights in late Oct. We booked 2 of the smaller Joglos which were still very comfortable. Rooms [Joglos] - were very unique, clean and comfortable. Staff were lovely - from Didi who took the booking, to our beautiful breakfast cook, to the "boys" and of course Taman and her husband Nengah. Nengah drove for us when we needed and was an amazing man - very warm, genuine and down to earth - Thank you. Coming back from a day or night out was a little like coming "home" - closing the door on a hectic day and being able to just chill!. Even though there were other guests staying nobody "tripped" over anyone else. The compound isn't right in town - but is walkable which in itself is interesting/exciting.
If there is a down-side it would be to ask that staff don't assume. That guests are generally able to choose for themselves. This was a minor thing though and I am sure that all was well-intentioned.
Hope to stay again middle of next year.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 12, 2010

Perfect place to stay in Ubud, there is just 5 little houses and in the middle a swimming pool. It's really quiet, clean and in the indonesian style. The staff is really nice and ready to help you everytime. There is nice ricefields around the hotel. It's a little bit far from the city center by walk but with a motorbike, it's ok.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stayed at Joglo Saraswati for 2 nights. I arrived pretty late (blame the flight) so the regular nearby restaurants (who always delivered to this hotel) rejected my offer. The staff however generously let me open the hotel main fridge and let me have some breads.
When I read the villa/house description on the website, I thought that the house would be too big for me but it's just perfect. The second bed (for the 3rd/4th occupants) is a "bale" and has no door (but it has a balinese 'kerei' for privacy. I used the second bed for resting and watched news online (Yes, this house has no TV but as a fair trade off it has a free Wi-fi).
The staff will ask you what breakfast would you love. Banana pancake is very recommended (watch out 1000 Kcal at least, have it only after you walk 2 km from the Yoga Barn), their egg and toast is also OK. Have i mentioned that breakfast is delivered to your house and you'll get to have it in your own 'dining table' (mine is overlooking the pool)
The first night I was there, my room and my bathroom lights were out (but there's a nightstand light), and at the same night the staff fixed it instantly.

The location is pretty far (but that's why they call it a 'sanctuary') from the central, the ojek ride cost around 20-30 k IDR (that's USD 2.5-3.5). The distance from/to Yoga Barn is approximately 2 KM so if you want to get their morning class, be sure to leave at least at 6.30 AM (no ojek available at that time of hour).

I wish I could stay more than just 2 nights..

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Desa Sanctuary (or known as Rumah David to locals) was a great find in Ubud. It's a "village" of about 5 apartment/villas of varying sizes, each with their own indoor/outdoor bathrooms and kitchenettes, all sharing a common pool in the center. There's wifi everywhere and it was a respectable speed. We stayed in the treetop one in the back overlooking the rice paddies across the way and we highly recommend it for its privacy and relaxing nature.

The American owner (David) and local staff are super helpful and speak good English - they'll help you with whatever you need, whether it's getting an early breakfast or helping you locate a shipping provider. They also have a guard on duty at night, staffed by the entrance to the village.

The only drawback to consider is that it is too far to walk into town (probably at least 30 minutes) and probably not good to do it at night since it's pretty dark and you'd need a torch/flashlight. That said, the room rates are very reasonable such that you can hire a motorbike or one of their fairly-priced drivers for your pickup and return. It beats paying 2-4 times as much to stay in Ubud center. We used Nengah the whole time and he was really nice and knowledgeable about things to do in the area, places to eat, and shopping. He is practicing his English though, so you'll need to speak slowly and make sure he understands what you need.

Overall, we highly recommend Desa Sanctuary for your stay in Ubud, whether it's short-term or longer-term!

-Tony and Lisa

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed in one room/house (one of the smaller ones worth $50 a night), my parents stayed in another one that was also $50 a night. They were great value, the place is very clean, the staff are very nice. The pool is fantastic and pretty much you can feel like it is yours as there are only 5 rooms/houses there. Definitely good to relax after a day walking around Ubud or in the rice fields. I'd definitely recommend this place.

There are a couple of very minor issues. One is the hotwater relies on the gas fired water heaters that are common in Indonesia. These can be difficult to get just right and indeed our one had some (not insurmountable) problems while we were there. When we mentioned it the staff worked it out but it was not perfect yet. The other issue which is a little more troublesome is that the last 5min of the walk back from town to the Sanctuary is along the side of a road that doesn't have a shoulder and has a lot of traffic on it. Basically it is not nice to walk along there at all. Other than that short bit it is fine. You end up dealing with the staff of the hotel about transport or the local touts on the street in town, which is ok but gets a little tiresome. hopefully the management will set some fees for transport to various points publish them and be done with it. We ended up paying about 30,000Rp ($3.5 at the moment) each trip to/from town so it is not a big deal but adds up a little.

All said and done we had a great time staying there and recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2010

No need for your lonely planet guide here as your new acquired ex pats have all that one needs for your pampered stay in the land of Bali enchantment. Image your own cottage next to a pool with a personal guide at your finger tips. The yogurt local fruit breakfast was my fav but they also can indulge your sweet tooth, yum. Desa Sanctuary is a safe enclosed gated private villa near the center of Ubud. You are a stone's throw to all the excotic temptations of the local restaurants but thankfully near the, yes THE yoga barn for your morning detox with the best instructors in the world. I have been to classes in Santa Monica, New York, New England, Spain and Costa Rica and the BEST instructors go to Bali's yoga barn. Bali changed me for the better after losing the love of my life so o i owe a thousands thanks to Desa. Namaste! fyi, rent a motorbike so much FUN.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I've visited Bali often since living there for a year in 1973. I'm going back with my daughter for two weeks in October and we'll be staying for two weeks at Desa Sanctuary in Pengosekan. As Ubud has become more crowded and noisy over the years, it's become important for me to stay in a small place that combines modern amenities (pool, AC, some kitchen facilities, and a sense of style) with the authentic grace and charm of Bali and a bit of western management. Desa Sanctuary has it all. Only a few minutes by motor scooter to all the dining-shopping-entertainment pleasures Ubud, it's also close to the more authentic dance performances in Peliatan, the expat community in Nyuhkuning -- and to the main roads to Denpasar, Gyanyar and beyond.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business