“Pleasant Night's stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Desa Sanctuary, The Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #181 of 512 Ubud B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Pleasant Night's stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed in the cozy lotus lambung and it was really cozy, just enough for two people. I like the concept of an open living room. The bathroom overlooks outside so if you're really tall it may erupt a little bit of privacy. The bathroom water takes a while to heat up. Upstairs, the bedroom was designed nicely to fit a small space and it was nice. However, the curtains at the back may be abit dusty. For a night's stay it is overall pleasant and aided in our travel in Ubud. It is also not that far from art houses, massage, and warungs (Local food shops). Although there are hardly night activities in Ubud the same as Seminyak, we were glad to find that the warungs opened til late, around midnight we could get supper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Desa Sanctuary was recommended by friends, and I booked it immediately when I saw photos of the unique, traditional Indonesian cottages and read the positive reviews. The staff seem lovely, the little I saw of them. They offered me my choice of the available cottages on arrival, so I stayed in my favourite. The garden is tranquil and full of flowers. Unfortunately, I was disappointed on several counts:

1. I e-mailed more than a week in advance to book an airport transfer but never received a reply (and there was no driver waiting for me at the airport)

2. There is a 20 minute walk along a busy road with no sidewalks before reaching the southernmost shops & restaurants of Ubud

3. Two mornings out of three there were no staff around when I wanted to order breakfast, and the breakfast is small (limited to one choice) and doesn't come with coffee or tea, which you are expected to make in your room for yourself using poor quality instant coffee powder or tea bags (with no milk provided)

The above points aside, I was actually thankful that, by staying so far south of Ubud, I was able to discover everything along the way that I had missed on a previous visit when I stayed north of Ubud. I think the Sanctuary would be a great retreat for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Each has its own charm!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HeatherfromCanada
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hello HeatherfromCanada,
We are very sorry that we missed your request for an airport transfer. I understand that it was our fault and all I can say is "I'm really sorry".
The staff arrives at 8:00 AM, so no one would be there before that, but at 8:00 they promptly arrive as breakfast is a big part of our service. Our breakfasts are usually rated very highly...
2 eggs with toast
or
yogurt with muesli and fruit
or
banana pancakes with yogurt and honey
Coffee and tea is available in the rooms with milk powder packets.....Hotel standard for this.
You can always ask for Bali coffee to be served as well.

I thank you for your compliments to our adhering to an Bali look and feel for our Sanctuary.
Brenda
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a great time at Desa Sanctuary. The staff were warm and friendly, and always helpful. They were like having a family away from home. The accommodations were affordable and clean. Breakfast was always delicious. Most importantly we always felt safe. We really miss it there and would love to go back someday!

Room Tip: Rumah Tinggi is comfortable for 2 people and likely has the best views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank Rhiannon W
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Desa Sanctuary was a fabulous place to stay in Ubud. We are a family of 4, two adults and two kids and spent 3 nights at Desa Sanctuary. It was perfect for our needs. Well priced as so many places around Ubud can be expensive, in a convenient location a perfect blend of being a bit away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to bike to cafe;s and restaurants etc, It was clean, quiet, beautiful pool, lovely rooms and had everything you need. The staff of course were lovely and helpful. A good choice for families and/or couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Fairfield, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Desa Sanctuary was our first stay on a recent month long trip throughout Bali. The village is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, just a quick bike trip or walk from cafes, restaurants and shopping. I only wish we could have stayed longer! The staff was very warm and inviting, and constantly looking out for our needs. The bungalows were clean and comfortable, with traditional Indonesian-style architecture. We loved swimming in the pool every afternoon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I loved staying at Desa Sanctuary. What a beautiful little oasis amongst an already gorgeous island. The rooms are pretty, clean, and comfortable. The service the best. We loved meeting the other guests, everyone was so friendly. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I don't want to say too much or I will never get a booking again due to being packed out.
A gorgeous small resort of 6-7 units. nice, quiet and relaxing away from the hubbub off Bali, yet within a 20 minute casual walk to Ubud.
The accommodation was clean and airy and I loved the down stairs bed and both bathrooms.
The staff were on hand to offer advice of where to go and how to get there without being pushy.
Breakfast was delivered daily as part of the cost and other meals could be ordered in from outside venues if you couldn't be bothered moving after a hard day.
The pool area was cosy and intimate and one is not harassed by a thousand screaming children.
Yes I would go back again, in fact I'm hoping to get back there in August this year 2013.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends