“A great place to take in the surrounds of Ubud”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #205 of 526 Ubud B&B and Inns
Fremantle, Australia
“A great place to take in the surrounds of Ubud”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed in the lotus lumbung room, nothing flash, and really liked it- view to the rice paddie and good downstairs area to relax. The other rooms are bigger with more features. A steep walk up some stairs to the bedroom from the open living areas was fine. The staff were very nice and helpful - just ask if you have a query and they will follow it up the best they can. Swimming pool is nice and shared. You can probably find a cheaper place considering the location (30+? min walk into ubud so transport other than your walking shoes is recommended if you go to ubud regularly). But holidays are about the experience and at desa sanctuary we got what we wanted - a great experience. Recommended

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank wavewa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed at Desa Sanctuary for 2 weeks in September last year (bit late with my review!) and had an absolutely lovely time there. I had come to Ubud for an Ashtanga workshop and found my little house (Rumah Tinggi) a wonderful place to escape to between sessions and/or when the day became too hot for me to wander around Ubud and surrounds. The staff were just gorgeous, I found all of them lovely to deal with and really helpful if I had any questions, they even arranged to have a fruite plate (in lieu of breakfast) put in my fridge the evening beforehand so I could snack on something light before going to yoga early in the mornings.

The location is a little out of Ubud centre, which was sometimes inconvenient for me as I had to go across 'town' to get to the sessions, however, I was able to organise a regular lift, which solved my dilemma.

On my last day in town, my flight didn't leave until late in the evening, the staff were happy to hold my bags for me during the day and offered me use of the guest room in the owners' house (across the laneway) to have a shower and rest in the evening, before heading to the airport - a much appreciated gesture!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathleen M
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We visited Bali during a trip with my parents, myself and my sister (adult children). We stayed in Rumah Kampung and Rumah Tinggi. My parents stayed in Rumah Kampung so that my mother wouldn't have to walk too many stairs, while my sister and I stayed in Rumah Tinggi. Rumah was a dream!! The photos on the website are accurate. And the lushness of the grounds makes you feel very much in Bali.

We enjoyed the fact that the Desa (Rumah David, as many know it in Ubud) was a little outside of the center. It's really only an under-10 minute taxi drive or 20 minute walk to the center, with shops and restaurants and sights (like the Monkey Sanctuary and the ARMA dance center) along the way. The center is a little overwhelming in terms of foot and other traffic, so it's nice to be away from it but also conveniently close. We loved coming back to the peace and quiet.

The staff were absolutely amazing. They helped us with all of our arrangements, from taxi drivers to renting a moped and arranging travel to another part of the island. And we really enjoyed them as people, so friendly. We owe them some pictures! I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

desa is the perfect place to stay - outside of ubud's busy touristy main streets, but only a 5 min motorbike (or taxi) ride away. the 5 bungalows are excellently furnished, high thread count sheets, balinese style furniture, open aired beautiful bathrooms, all surrounding green vegetation and a lovely pool. the staff makes you feel like family and the simple breakfast included in your stay, is delicious. you feel like you are staying in a high end place for a fraction of the cost. at first, i was afraid the location was too remote, but after an afternoon, you realize it's perfectly situated to drive into town and explore the countryside and avoid the terrible (at times) traffic in ubud. renting a motorbike is a wise choice - the staff can even call the place up the street and have them bring it to you. our cost was $40 for the week, and it was fine driving (even though for us it's the "wrong" side of the street). i would stay here on every visit. sak ming and the staff are great at making you feel welcome, and they go beyond expected to fulfill your needs.

Room Tip: tinggi was great for a couple! we loved it and were completely happy. saraswati and ganesha are bigg...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

This is a really lovely place - relaxed, beautiful & cared for. It's a bit of a walk from the 'centre' of Ubud, but still well located. The sign for the place is very small so easy to miss arriving by taxi along the main road!

My room was quite big with a nice bathroom, kitchen & lovely bed with a proper duvet & comfy pillows. I wish I could have slept longer there! The furniture is tasteful & comfortable.

I only had time to stay here one night unfortunately & had to leave very early to catch a flight the next day. The lady was extremely helpful - sorting a taxi out for 6am & making me a very early breakfast. She was lovely & went out of the way to accomodate my needs.

Didn't have time to swim but it was very inviting :-)

I'd love to go back the next time I'm in Ubud!

• Stayed July 2011
Ogden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

We were 8 nights in Bali, the first 4 in Ubud at Desa Sanctuary, the last 4 in Jimbaran. Our time in Ubud is unforgettable. True to form for the entire island the staff at Sanctuary were happy, eager to help & very accommodating. Fantastic room, too good to be true price considered. Our first night's walk into Ubud was a bit hairy due to combination of jet-lag & narrow sidewalks but a few blocks up the road the sidewalks widened up and minute later we were sharing a bottle of wine over amazing authentic Indonesian cuisine. Ubud was fantastic, we miss it. We rented a scooter (which the Sanctuary staff organized) for 1 day of our stay and went exploring... We also found that inexpensive cabs were a great alternative to the walk to town as its just a 2 minute ride. We would recommend to anyone. Thanks Desa Sanctuary we intend on seeing you again sooner than later!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josh P
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

Whoever said the camera never lies didn't stay at the Deesa Sanctuary. The photos look tempting and the rave reviews sound encouraging. Don't believe a bit of it! Is this the worst place in Ubud? Quite possibly. Where do i start?
Well the place is a long way from the centre of town - a good 40 minute walk down a stretch of road without a footpath for a a lot of the way.Getting a taxi so far out of town is well nigh impossible so you're stuck with walking at least half the way. That road is a problem in other ways too. Deesa Sanctuary is very close to the road which is extremely busy and the traffic noise is non-stop. On top of that expect screaming chainsaws nearby and a cacophony of dog fights. It's seriously noisy.
Then there's the rooms. The one we stayed in was little more than a concrete box with a Balinese style roof. The floor was bare concrete. The bathroom was a poky little thing with a shower at one end, toilet at the other and a sink. Reminiscent of a prison cell. The toilet didn't flush reliably. The wooden slats on the floor were broken.
The bed was interesting to say the least. They'd formed a king size bed by pushing together 2 single beds then putting a mattress over the pair. The hard ridge running down the middle of the bed puts paid to any romantic thoughts.Unbelievably cheap!
Breakfast was a mean spirited thing with some reasonable fruit and not very good yoghurt.
So is there anything good about it? Well there's free wifi which at least helps you get on the net and try to locate somewhere else, which is what I've been doing until I took a break to write this.
That's about all I can say about it really. Other than the pay up front deal stinks.I'm now looking elsewhere and accepting that I've done my dough here.
Which makes me wonder about all the people writing glowing reviews about the place. Two possibilities come to mind. Either everyone writing them is a newcomer to Bali and doesn't know any better, or the reviews are a rather clever bit of PR trickery with people masquerading as contented customers, a trick that's increasingly common in the PR game.
So to sum up, if you now have any doubts about this place at all read the other one star review here, which is "bang on the money" and avoid this place like a dose of Bali belly. There are much better places in Ubud.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mark S
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
We are always sad to hear from a guest that they didn't enjoy their stay and yet, they never let us know while they were here so that we could make it right for them! We pride ourselves on this.

I would like to address this now since I wasn't given the opportunity while the guest was here..

Yes, we are on the road to Ubud and yes, there aren't any sidewalks. We like to point out, that this is Bali and not the west. We are in a small village 2 minutes by driver from the center of town, (very convenient) and sidewalks just aren't part of Village life. We arrange transport for any guests who ask for it. If you choose to walk to town, that is also an option. Taxis are plentiful, but must be "called".

Ubud is growing and becoming more popular and with that comes construction. Hotels and homes are being put up and renovated and we don't have any control over this.

Dogs exist as part of Bali life and I would recommend that tourists who are disturbed by their barking and fighting write a letter to our local papers...the Bali Advertiser. It would be of more help if comments were made about the dogs to the "community at large" so that this could be recognized as a Bali problem and not a personal "owner issue".

Just a note about the Rumah....The floors are polished cement and not bare concrete. The bath will be checked. Thank you for those notes. The King bed has been outfitted with an industry standard pad for interchanging two twins to a king bed. This is done in all hotels. We are sorry it wasn't comfortable for you.

Lastly, our breakfasts are one of our most complimented areas of service, ( and also our staff) so I will just close by saying I encourage all possible guests to read our reviews through and get a broader picture.